FS: Bowers and Wilkins Htm4 diamond (d2) Rosenut

Item: B&W Htm4 diamond rosenut (dark brown) center speaker. 
Price: $1750 (reduced)
Item Condition: 9/10 box opened, test, back in box. 
Reason for selling: not being used
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, COD
Extra Info: Brand new conditions with original box and accessories. Works well with 700 and 800 series Bowers and wilkins speakers. Very powerful yet clean sound from the diamond tweeter.

Lifts center stage and gives clear dialogue. 

Actual box, stock images for the speaker, stand not included. One only 
Pictures:

bw-htm4-diamond-centre-channel-speaker (1).jpg

bw-htm4-diamond-centre-channel-speaker.jpg

IMG_20190314_170950.jpg

Edited by Soundfever

• 3 weeks later...

Wow only just seen this,

very surprised its not sold,

a beautiful centre speaker,

the replacement for the tweeter alone 

would cost in excess of $1300-$1400,

unfortunately I don’t have a cinema room nor a big enough living room to house such a speaker I have the b&w 803d2 in piano black I love the diamond tweeter.

GLWTS

• Like 1

Thank you @9diablo8 , I think people are moving away from HT and going into 2ch stereo. I too have been a HT fan for many years, still remember when I first brought the 805d2 from @slawrence436 I said to him, my usage was around 90% HT and 10% music, that was about 2 years ago. And thanks to Steve who started my addiction, now my usage has shifted to around 65% music and 35% HT. 

I have the same setup with 803D2 in piano black for fronts, was the HTM4 center, you are right, the diamond tweeter is amazing, really brings out the highs and gives another dimension to the vocal and highs. I have the 705 for surrounds and some Jbl for ceiling atmos and SVS sub to complete the system. I found that putting some foam at the base to face the HTM4d2 up little improves the imaging of the center stage. It is a very nice looking and sounding center speaker. You are correct the replacement for the very fragile diamond diaphragm is very expensive, thus handle with care and for someone who appreciate good speakers. 

I am looking for a more musical yet still giving me a good HT amp to drive my 803d2. What amp do you use to drive your 803d2?

• Like 1

Hey mate,

my surround h/t is very basic I use the 803d2 for the fronts and the b&w m1s for the rest with the pv1 sub,

i like h/t but am definitely more into two channel,

i drive the mains with a Parasound a21 which puts out 400watts into 4ohms which the b&w S actually are,

with the Parasound p5 for the pre amp which also has h/t bypass,

for h/t I’ve got a Yamaha rxv3083 which is the same as the adentage rxa3080 the only difference is the rxa3080 has the better warranty,

eventually I’ll upgrade to the parasound jc2 monos,

but to be honest the a21 is a beast it really is a beautiful amp it also plays the first 25 watts in class a.

what are you runnings your diamonds with?

• Like 1

Yep agree same tweeter great price.,

really not a great amount of difference between d2 and d3 with the centre speaker,

the midrange has the new  continuum midrange and for home theatre purposes really wouldn’t be a noticeable difference especially considering a new price of I think $5500.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 9diablo8 said:

Yep agree same tweeter great price.,

really not a great amount of difference between d2 and d3 with the centre speaker,

the midrange has the new  continuum midrange and for home theatre purposes really wouldn’t be a noticeable difference especially considering a new price of I think $5500.

Speaking from experience? Actual experience? If you have ever owned a D2 and then gone to a D3, you wouldn’t be so flippant with that opinion. I’ve been from a CM series center to a 700 series center, major differences. 

Now there’s nothing at all wrong with this particular center being sold, nothing at all, but be careful with your comparisons. 

Well clearly your more adversed than  I, I’m no expert at all,

its my humble opinion,

i do own 803d2s and know them well,

my home theatre set up is very basic,

ive never owned a d1 centre nor d2 or d3 (centre)I’ve only heard them in the shops.,

but with all due respect careful as I am with my opinions again I couldn’t tell a huge difference that’s my opinion.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, 9diablo8 said:

Well clearly your more adversed than  I, I’m no expert at all,

its my humble opinion,

i do own 803d2s and know them well,

my home theatre set up is very basic,

ive never owned a d1 centre nor d2 or d3 (centre)I’ve only heard them in the shops.,

but with all due respect careful as I am with my opinions again I couldn’t tell a huge difference that’s my opinion.

There’s a huge difference between D2 and D3’s across the board. And it’s all down primarily to the Continuum Driver. 

Especially in regards to a center channel which is primarily focused on midrange. I don’t know how they had them setup in the shop where you compared them, but in a well controlled home system, the difference in dialogue clarity will be significant. 

This speaker for sale is a bargain for anyone with a D2 or lower setup, but I wouldn’t myself introduce it to a D3 system. 

Same tweeter yes, but the tweeter is not the important improvement on the D3 range(even though that aspect was improved). My only objection here is the generalization of a D2 compared to a D3. 

But anyway, for this money, I wish I still had my D2’s to set it up with. 

Anyway, enough of this talk, I hope this goes soon at that great price. 

7 hours ago, 9diablo8 said:

Hey mate,

what are you runnings your diamonds with? 

@9diablo8 I used to have 5xM1, planned to used them as my ceiling atmos speakers. However, due to their awkward wall mount position and worry about my handy work to put them on the ceiling. I have decided for safety reason not to use them and have the much easier to mount Jbls. I have tried one as my center and the 803d2 over powered them, which is expected, leaving a big gap in the middle.  I always wanted a parasound, I got a pair of secondhand JC1 few months ago, got a big grin on my face as your took them home in the boot of my car. That properly helps me not remember my back pain for caring those behemoth amps. Plugged it in,  turned them one, one was flashing red, the other one gave a little spark. However, was working after a few seconds. They sounded great but not amazing. I was very disappointed. Powered everything off and pop open the bonnets. One has a budge in one of the four big capacitor and the other one looks fine. For safety I booked them in to Watson electrical in Summer Park to check them out. After a couple of week, they said the boards are gone and capacitors are not in a good shape. The sad news is that parts are not available from parasound and deemed the units are not repairable. I returned them to the seller and got my refund. Because of that I've also cancelled my order for the JC5, worry that parts could be a problem in the futures. Saying that the internals of the JC1 that I got was in a bad state, so I might revisit the JC5 or maybe the JC2+. 

JC2 - do you mean that for your pre or do you mean the JC1 Mono? 

My current setup  are:

Music: Marantz ND8006, Elektra Pre, Elektra Theatron 7ch HD amp, 803d2 + SVS PB2000

Movie: Marantz SR7012, Elektra Pre (HT bypass), Elektra  Theatron 7ch HDamp, 803d2 + Htm2 diamond + SVSPB2000 + 705 + Jbl.

@Tony BI agree with you, very similar in profile and the continuum mids would be the different, and spot on @9diablo8 saying that for movies it wont make a significant different other than you might not sit as comfortable with all the extra cash in your pocket. 

What I found with the D3 is the mids are lighter, feel not as lazy compares with the D2. It is a good and bad thing, for music great, the movement is faster but feels little warm and the B&W signature has changed. It is not as punchy but cleaner in sound. Kinda like someone has lost alot of weight in their voice, Similar to Pavarotti when he lost alot of weight. Still the same guy but the voice is different. @Sime V2I have listened to both the D2(home) and D3(hifi shop), my personal opinion is  for movie, I prefer the depth and warm of the D2, the highs are still the same. It all comes down to personal preferences, plus for me having a d3 centre would mismatch my d2 fronts. So match it with what you  have and what sound you like to hear. Btw I am jealous of your 805d3, it is a great speaker. I have compared it with my 805d2, it is very different for music, you can say like someone has taken the pillow out. 

At the end of the day, number and marketing is one thing, giving you a big grin and movies enjoyment is another. Don't buy into the marketing hype. 

Edited by Soundfever

3 minutes ago, Soundfever said:

Don't buy into the marketing hype. 

I’m not, I’m going by experience. 

14 minutes ago, Sime V2 said:

I’m not, I’m going by experience. 

Hi Mate, sorry, not directed at you about the hype. I agree with you about introducing a D2 in to a D3 system or a D3 into a d2, they just have different characteristic in the mids. Saying that, I think with the right power amp to lift the mids in the D2, it will wake it up and make it leaner. I feel there are alot of hype in the hifi world, sometime numbers can be deceiving and how it is set up at one place can be very different at another location. I guess what I am trying to say is buy the things that give you the sound enjoyment and allows you to  sink  nto the movie or music that you are watching and/or listening. As someone on this forum mentioned "don't go chasing unicorn". 

Edited by Soundfever

Hi soundfever,

so true Id like to set up atmos as well as my Yamaha rxv3080 has it built in but your right the m1 s are awkward I’m considering keeping the 803d2 for front,

the m1s for centre and rear and maybe b&w ceiling speakers for down firing atmos,

so disappointed to hear of your experience with Parasound,

i had the a23 running my cm9s years ago and then upgraded to the a21 when I upgraded to the 800 series b&w, the jc1 monos are usually superb what a shame,

i bought my a21 brand new from a nearby dealer Apollo Hifi,

i think it still has two years warranty  left  on it but these amps usually last for ten fifteen years with no hiccups,

i was talking about the jc2 pre amp with h/t bypass as an upgrade eventually,

The problem with Hifi once you have the bug you always want more,

my set up sounds awesome but there’s always room for improvement,

if I had my way, what I’d like to buy,

my wife would divorce me but I’m sure most of us are in that position.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, 9diablo8 said:

Hi soundfever,

so true Id like to set up atmos as well as my Yamaha rxv3080 has it built in but your right the m1 s are awkward I’m considering keeping the 803d2 for front,

the m1s for centre and rear and maybe b&w ceiling speakers for down firing atmos,

so disappointed to hear of your experience with Parasound,

i was talking about the jc2 pre amp with h/t bypass as an upgrade eventually,

The problem with Hifi once you have the bug you always want more,

my set up sounds awesome but there’s always room for improvement,

if I had my way, what I’d like to buy,

my wife would divorce me but I’m sure most of us are in that position.

Hi @9diablo8, yes it is an addiction and you are always chasing for that little more. The Yamaha is nice, great for movie and has 11.2 ch processing with the A21 you have the full 7.1.2 setup. Hopefully, you can find some space to put a bigger center for the atmos setup. For me, I would upgrade my front stage first before doing the ceiling speakers. It will give you a nice balance stage for movies. I am waiting from my dealer for some ceiling b&w speakers, he said he got some coming in cheap but didn't tell what they are.

Don't know what it is with me and Parasound. Came close to buying the JC1 in the past, then something unexpected happened and I have to draw out the funds. I missed out on a demo JC2 last year and the recent bad Jc1s. Maybe forth time the charm.  Yes, my wife also not approve of my hobby, however, she keep me in check or I will have a mini hifi shop in my house and nothing left in my wallet. 

Edited by Soundfever

So true mate,

if I had my own way I’d be out the door 

and im impulsive ,

funny you mentioned the signiture b&w being punchy, they so really are, I’m selling my 803s  and they appear to be punchier than the d2 and of course the d2s have an  extra driver,

The d2s are undoubtedly clearer and more open,

but I do miss and will miss that bass and punch from the 803s.

Don't even start with impulsive. 

I used to own the Htm4s before changing to the diamond, at that time I was using it with 705 then later with the 805d2. It is a very smooth, clear and punchy center, I think from memory my AVR set the cross over to 80hz for all my fronts. My 805d2 were driven by the Rotel 1552Mkii and htm4s was by the arv. They It  matched well with my 805d2, with a uniform front stage. Having similar drivers and i think the avr's dsp helps too. I think going from an aluminium to a diamond tweeter the speakers demand little more power. Although the sensitivity of the "s" and diamond are the same, the diamond shines more with more juice. With the D3, it is the other way, it is now less demanding on the amp.