Sign in to follow this  
Marc

THORENS BRINGS BACK REEL TO REEL TAPE

Thorens has announced some exciting new products to be revealed at the High End Show in Munich next month including the brand new reel to reel machine, the TM 1600!

View the full article

Problem with reel to reel, is that unless you want to use one to record your own music (eg band or muso) the cost of entry Is too high compared to vinyl.   As much as I would love to try an R2R i see on one hand music of 7 1/2 ips that is not what I am interested in or unaffordable new recordings.

if you have a stash of you uncles old tapes you could acquire for free then I say go for it.

Guest Misterioso

For me, the (somewhat hidden) real news in this article is the return of a TD160-type turntable from Thorens, now called TD 1600/ 1601. Looking forward to seeing these in person. I read they become available in October. The TD 1601 is 3K Euro ($5k AUD) in Germany, which appears fair given the trend to more and more expensive turntables. I expect it will be strong competitor in its price region. And it's gorgeous!