Upgrade amp or phono stage?

I`d like some input please. I currently have a Luxman l507ux, and I use the inbuilt phono stage, which sounds pretty good to me. I am thinking of either upgrading to a l509x, and using it`s phono stage, or keeping my 507 and buying a separate phono stage. Speakers are Harbeth shl5+, and I only listen to records. Any thoughts? Cheers.

3 hours ago, Peter56 said:

I`d like some input please. I currently have a Luxman l507ux, and I use the inbuilt phono stage, which sounds pretty good to me. I am thinking of either upgrading to a l509x, and using it`s phono stage, or keeping my 507 and buying a separate phono stage. Speakers are Harbeth shl5+, and I only listen to records. Any thoughts? Cheers.

Do you use an MM ... or a LOMC cart?

Andy

7 hours ago, Peter56 said:

I use an Ortofon Quintet black.

OK, that's an MC.

Internal coil resistance is 5 ohms - which says to me the optimal loading could be anywhere up to 500 ohms. I believe your L507 only offers 100 ohms load on the MC setting - in which case, I would suggest an external phono stage which allows you some loading flexibility would be a good thing.

Andy

2 hours ago, andyr said:

OK, that's an MC.

Internal coil resistance is 5 ohms - which says to me the optimal loading could be anywhere up to 500 ohms. I believe your L507 only offers 100 ohms load on the MC setting - in which case, I would suggest an external phono stage which allows you some loading flexibility would be a good thing.

Andy

Cheers Andy, thanks for your reply.