Sydney Memories

8 hours ago, Gregyem said:

I think it was Kent HiFi but maybe one of the others in that area that had a Thorens/SME/Shure source feeding a pair of B&W801s. Can't remember the amp but maybe a Yamaha pure class A job. Anyway, it sounded good enough to kick off my interest in HiFi. Curiously around the same era,  Miranda HiFi out in the Shire,  seriously invested in Infinity reference speakers and Oracle source which wowed my eyes but not the ears so much. 

Kent HiFi had the Thorens with SME and B&W though I think the amp was different --though it may have been as they may have had Yamaha towards the end  --Quality def had Yamaha .

The old Mr Hoskings was a real gentleman - put me on to Celestion when they made great speakers

5 hours ago, vinilink said:

Also, at Strand Arcade basement, which they carried huge ranges of records from all producers such as Sheffield La, MoFi, Superdisc, so on.

Used to get horribly maggoted at the Strand Nightclub!

2 hours ago, Toyboyo said:

Kent HiFi had the Thorens with SME and B&W though I think the amp was different --though it may have been as they may have had Yamaha towards the end  --Quality def had Yamaha .

The old Mr Hoskings was a real gentleman - put me on to Celestion when they made great speakers

Mr Hoskings demoed Celestion with Rotel system. I still remember clearly listening Dire Straits Sultans of Swing. Kent HiFi used to sell Harksound (Anyone heard/remember this brand?) turntables playing Breakfast they demoed playing Supertramps Breakfast in America using Jamo.

31 minutes ago, vinilink said:

Mr Hoskings demoed Celestion with Rotel system. I still remember clearly listening Dire Straits Sultans of Swing. Kent HiFi used to sell Harksound (Anyone heard/remember this brand?) turntables playing Breakfast they demoed playing Supertramps Breakfast in America using Jamo.

Peter also had giant JBLs  and Altecs and the big AR speakers - one of them was a Pi?

On 08/04/2019 at 6:14 PM, Toyboyo said:

Okay, so some of my synapses are still viable. I have a niggling suspicion I have dragged Quality's Yamaha amps into Kent because I have a gap there for the demo and and the Yamaha amps did look classy. Yep Celestion Dittons were high on my admiration list too. 

20 hours ago, Toyboyo said:

Come on Sydney dwellers --- there must be memories of great hi fi shops that you can share with all of us .....

Bartlett HiFi, Hempel Sound, German HiFi (sold strictly German brands) at Neutral Bay.

Edit: Matthew Bond of Tara Lab used to have a shop at Bondi Junction along Oxford St, Audio One (not sure if still around). 

Edited by vinilink