Sign in to follow this  
Jim bob

Onkyo TR-706 really odd hdmi fault

Hi,

I bought a secondhand TR-706. Everything worked but the hdmi inputs. I suspected the usual fault and replaced all 100uF capacitors on the hdmi board. 

Now the inputs work but as soon as I connect my tv to the hdmi output, all hdmi input ports stop working! says, 'no signal'. They lose their input signal and stop working when I connect the hdmi output!? If I pull out the hdmi output, the input works again. crazy. happens on all four hdmi inputs. 

tv is a Bauhn 65" (Aldi)

Anyone seen this before? Thanks

Does the TV have some kind of HDMI CEC setting on? If so, switch it off.

If not, try disconnecting everything from power for two minutes and switch back on again.

Thanks for the reply.

I checked and no CEC is on (all off). 

I turned off the tv/av for 2minutes then turned on the AV first. I am feeding a hdmi signal from a pc to the AV. The display on the AV says 'multich' as I'm feeding 5.1. 

When I turned on the wall socket for the tv the display changed to 'all channel stereo'. I then turned on the tv using the remote, the display on the AV thought for a while, then changed to 'multich' again then back to 'all channel stereo' then just as the blue screen came up on the tv it went to 'no signal'. 

I've gone back to look at the pc and the screen resolution has dropped automatically as though turning the tv on caused it. I'm starting to think it's the tv causing this problem and it's something to with the tv sending signals or something about compatibility. 

You really got me thinking so I tried a few other things. 

Connected a different PC to the Onkyo AV. Same outcome. Lost signal. 

Connected a different display (small monitor). Presto! output signal, all ok!! 

So the problem is definitely the TV. The tv causes the signal to be lost when it connects :( 

Glad you’ve discovered the issue, not ideal that it’s the TV though!

2 hours ago, Jim bob said:

You really got me thinking so I tried a few other things. 

Connected a different PC to the Onkyo AV. Same outcome. Lost signal. 

Connected a different display (small monitor). Presto! output signal, all ok!! 

So the problem is definitely the TV. The tv causes the signal to be lost when it connects :( 

Try disconnecting the antenna from the TV and see if it makes a difference.

I have the same problem with my Integra 6.9, however it's something that has progressively got worse.

Its really odd, but I found what works without fail for me is to turn the AVR on and let it warm up for about 10 mins. It then just seems to work! To expedite I can turn the AVR off and on about 20 times and eventually it just gets it. But until then it just shows 'no signal'.