Guest gnnett

My understanding is the 4 is a full plate, square, with a motor island cut out to isolate motor from top plate. This has provision for speed adjustment outside platter.

The 5 is the motor island and a small plate with bearing mount and idler position slot only. To adjust speed you need to have an electronic speed adjuster, or lift the platter and unlock, move and lock manually. The 6 is same as the 5, but has an additional slot extension that allows adjustment of speed outside the edge of the platter.

Cheers

Grant

Guest gnnett

A picture or two...8_zps5atrxmxu.jpg.586f673bedbf313e605b179bbe9cc838.jpg

This is the 6. The 5 does not have the little slotted tab towards the right front of the plinth.

2w5rqk3.jpg.29781e6dd99e104f99bf6cfaba5b4367.jpg

This is the 4 and the following is the motor island.

w9gxw6.jpg.b8de9312c3f5d6846039c478e100f6c1.jpg

The latter not to scale of course.?

Gn

Guest gnnett

Well it depends what you are after, completed turntable, or self build.

Peter is, or has built turnkey tables using the PTP5 providing speed change without platter removal:

http://www.ptpaudio.com/solid12.html

lf it is a self build you are planning then the 6 probably provides best combination of flexibility on layout and function.

The choice will come down to what you want to pay for a turnkey option and your imagination for a self build.

my G99 continues to play very nicely, while my PTP5 remains alot of ever changing ideas in my head.

YMMV.

Cheers

GrantN 

Edited by gnnett

Yep, PTP6 is the one to go for if you don’t plan on using a speed controller.

Do you have a Lenco btw?
I do not yet have one ...been looking though want to know everything I need and if I am capable of doing it.... I am not great with tools.
I would like to be able to change speed easily as I have 45rpm 12inch vinyl but I believe a speed controller is very expensive....like the ones sold in the UK for around gbp1k
so yes need to change from 33 to 45 without platter lift.
If someone can point me towards a reasonable speed controller that would be great.

Sounds like we’re in the same boat, but I’m further down the track (or river). I’m technically innept, but after stripping down a Lenco and fiddling around a bit, I feel confident I’ll be able to take on the project. There’s step by step guides for every component on Lenco heaven. I already have a good turntable, so I’m in no rush, but over time I’ve gathered components - PTP6, Sien bearing and a few Lenco tables. If you’re patient, Lencos come up for sale and seem to be selling at reasonable prices these days. If you’re lucky, one might come up here in the classifieds that’s already been serviced and replinthed. Speed change on the PTP6 is as easy as any other manual turntable, it’s just a slider. People build their own speed controller with ‘Nigel’s PCB’. 

You could just buy a Lenco and change the tonearm with a drop in replacement, and that’ll get you going.

1 minute ago, flanders said:

Sounds like we’re in the same boat, but I’m further down the track (or river). I’m technically innept, but after stripping down a Lenco and fiddling around a bit, I feel confident I’ll be able to take on the project. There’s step by step guides for every component on Lenco heaven. I already have a good turntable, so I’m in no rush, but over time I’ve gathered components - PTP6, Sien bearing and a few Lenco tables. If you’re patient, Lencos come up for sale and seem to be selling at reasonable prices these days. If you’re lucky, one might come up here in the classifieds that’s already been serviced and replinthed. Speed change on the PTP6 is as easy as any other manual turntable, it’s just a slider. People build their own speed controller with ‘Nigel’s PCB’. 

You could just buy a Lenco and change the tonearm with a drop in replacement, and that’ll get you going.

Thanks for the reply .... I have a 12 inch Ortofon arm and an SPU cart that I want to use ...to create a vintage tt as I already have the modern mothership with the speccy cart and arm ...was thinking playing jazz vinyl on the vintage tt would be cool.

I have in the very dim past built amps and so can solder pretty well so when I saw Nigel's PCB on Lenco Heaven (I think) I thought about it for a minute but I know I would get it wrong somewhere and then have no idea where I made a mistake.

@flanders What plinth are you thinking of? 

I did start a g88 project but wrecked that by overtightening the motor mount and breaking the mount casting on the chassis - and tried one of those plinths from Moldova but my problem was even slight footfall made the motor shake which affected playback. That is why I was trying to screw down the motor mount springs --- I am not too smart on this department. Finally I gave up and the G88 went to a friend.

Reading about the PTP it seems it may be a better proposition that the G88 in regards to dampening motor movement/vibration/footfall.

Edited by Toyboyo

If you can solder then you’re way ahead of me! The good thing about the Lenco is you can always chase up parts if you stuff something up.

Yep, the PTP serves the purpose of isolating the motor, but I’m not sure about footfall, it probably still needs to be delt with so that it doesn’t reach any part of the turntable.

I’ve got some ‘Paperock’ offcuts to use for a plinth. It’s 30mm thick, so planning on doing an upper and lower deck with metal or concrete ‘posts’ between the two. It’s been discussed in the Lenco thread.