Sign in to follow this  
simon12345

PS3 AUDIOPHILE?

So i popped in all my cd's burnt bought dvd 3d dvd etc and it played them all...the output was via optical i could have chosen HDMI anyway the fact is i can't hear the difference between the PS3 optical steam to my Ht setup..and my red book CD player..

im just asking what's the point of owning a dedicated player using optical out? the streams are the same ? i concede that the analog out on my red book player does sound better but for the most part the PS3 is just fine

any thoughts?

They each have a place, and convenience often tops out.

yes i know about the gen 1's the point is on the 3 the optical or hdmi out are comparable to my more high end players i just wonder if they are worth having?

As a transport my experience is it makes a difference but not a big as a difference in upgrading DAC. The other side is in all dac I tried coax is always better optical so PS3 Optical out is not optimal for me.

yes i found coax better on my system but truly the difference is negligible 

On 06/04/2019 at 7:27 AM, simon12345 said:

So i popped in all my cd's burnt bought dvd 3d dvd etc and it played them all...the output was via optical i could have chosen HDMI anyway the fact is i can't hear the difference between the PS3 optical steam to my Ht setup..and my red book CD player..

im just asking what's the point of owning a dedicated player using optical out? the streams are the same ? i concede that the analog out on my red book player does sound better but for the most part the PS3 is just fine

any thoughts?

May I ask have you compared the Sound of the PS3 via HDMI output & Red Book CD player Coaxial output? Any different? Thanks Mate

red book coax is better but not by much the difference can't be justified by the money imo

10 hours ago, simon12345 said:

red book coax is better but not by much the difference can't be justified by the money imo

Thank You. I think it's all about is the cable itself, one is fiber optic & the other copper, so if the PS3 has the Coaxial output it's sound will be the same as Redbook CD player?. What's you think?...

well i think they are pretty much the same my ears might be tricking me i go into a sony 777 amp and it does the decoding coax is marginally better than optical but comparing the ps3 and rebook there's nothing in it I've decided to sell my players and stick with the ps3  just not worth owning high end players when the sony is just fine but thanks for your input

When you're using a dac via coax or optical from the spinner regardless of what it is the spinner is being used as the transport, the difference in the sound perceived is the last source in this chain, aka the dac. The difference in the transport in most cases are very miniscule assuming the digital signal is before any filter straight from the digital servo chip. Just because something is high end doesn't mean it will automatically sound night and day better than what you're currently using. 

On 08/04/2019 at 3:50 PM, simon12345 said:

well i think they are pretty much the same my ears might be tricking me i go into a sony 777 amp and it does the decoding coax is marginally better than optical but comparing the ps3 and rebook there's nothing in it I've decided to sell my players and stick with the ps3  just not worth owning high end players when the sony is just fine but thanks for your input

What about fan noise from the PS3? Isn't that annoying?

well I'm 3 meters away from the ps3 with music on i don't hear the fan i know its there i know its not the best but really i can live with it it is pretty good the dacs on my 777 do all the work and its pretty sweet..by the way thankyou everyone for your replies.

I had an old PS3 hooked up to my DAC for a while. It was one of those early machines that could play SACD.  I agree it sounded great, and the combo (PS3/DAC) was not far from the Sony ES CD player I use.

But the fan noise was too much for me personally,  particularly in late night listening sessions.  

yes the combo is very good my fan though is so quiet i can't hear it lucky for me..thanks for the reply

so i hooked up my transport, made some changes went analog direct out to my amp with does pure analog in..well what a difference..the ps3 optical out sounds squashed compressed now my sound is open and 3d with more bass and treble .i will definitely be keeping my analog setup it is far superior to the ps3...i always thought optical was the best but i was wrong my system now sounds superb.there is no question in my mind that a good transport analog outs is better than ps3 there is no comparison.thanks for all your input