Kanopy: free streaming through your local library

https://www.kanopy.com/

https://www.kanopy.com/product/marwencol

< Jeff Malmberg's landmark documentary MARWENCOL follows the story of Mark Hogancamp, a victim of a brutal beating, who in response created a fantastic miniature world. As he documents the town's dramas with his camera, the dolls become living characters in an epic tale of love, adventure, resurrection and revenge. When his photos are discovered by the art world, Mark is suddenly forced to choose between the safety of his imaginary world and the real world he's avoided since the attack.

Winner of the Find Your Audience and the Truer Than Fiction Award at the Film Independent Spirit Awards. Winner of the Grand Jury Award at the SXSW Film Festival. >

* * * * highly recommended

https://www.kanopy.com/product/tracking-edith

<When she wasn't working as a Soviet agent, Edith Tudor-Hart was taking photos of workers and street children in Vienna and London, documenting poverty and social deprivation. But she also found time to recruit Kim Philby and act as one of the architects of the 'Cambridge Five,' the Soviet Union's most successful spy ring.

Edith was director Peter Stephan Jungk's great aunt; in TRACKING EDITH he unravels the truth about her life. >

* * * * 1/2 highly recommended!

https://www.kanopy.com/product/toni-erdmann

<Winfried doesn't see much of his working daughter Ines. The suddenly student-less music teacher decides to surprise her with a visit after the death of his old dog. It's an awkward move because serious career woman Ines is working on an important project as a corporate strategist in Bucharest. Practical joker Winfried loves to annoy his daughter with corny pranks. What's worse are his little jabs at her routine lifestyle of long meetings, hotel bars and performance reports.

Father and daughter reach an impasse, and Winfried agrees to return home to Germany. Enter flashy 'Toni Erdmann', Winfried's smooth-talking alter ego. Disguised in a tacky suit, weird wig and even weirder fake teeth, Toni barges into Ines' professional life, claiming to be her CEO's life coach. In all the madness, Ines begins to understand that her eccentric father might deserve some place in her life after all.

Nominated for an Oscar, a Golden Globe and a BAFTA award for Best Foreign Language Film. Winner of the FIPRESCI Prize at Cannes. Winner of Best European Film at the European Film Awards. >

* * * * * highly recommended!

regards Ian

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Love Kanopy the only drawback being 4 plays per month, but it is free :)

I now have to wait 'til July to revisit my watch list

Recently watched on Kanopy which I enjoyed immensely (I also watched and enjoyed? Marwencol)

Heartworn Highways Revisited

Modern musicians influenced by the outlaw country movement

Sidemen, Long Road to Glory: The Lives of three Chicago Blues Musicians

John Cooper Clarke, Ten Years in an Open Neck Shirt

Edited by turnthetable

• 4 weeks later...

now availble on Kanopy!

Heavy Trip

Finnish comedy..... as only they know how! Bunch of heavy metal wannabes trying to get to big music festival in Norway.

Much hilarity ensues, totally silly, plenty of laughs!!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I mentioned this to Mrs Esquire, her being more of a 'watcher' than myself, but she says Dubbo library isn't participating. We do however have other library cards from all over the country; wondering if anyone can tell me what your 'account' is based on? Email address, library card, credit card number or IP address, whatever else that I haven't thought of?

Tentatively interested in signing up using one of our other library cards but we're always sceptical of making new online accounts for stuff we might not use very often. I know it's free but 4 programs a month is probably not worth it for us at this point. If we can make multiple accounts using our collection of library cards with the same email address, it becomes a lot more tempting. (Yes, we're that poor/petty)

13 hours ago, SkipEsquire said:

wondering if anyone can tell me what your 'account' is based on? Email address, library card, credit card number or IP address, whatever else that I haven't thought of?

Try here and search for a library that you use who participates

https://www.kanopy.com/signup

If none do I'd contact your library and/or Kanopy

Sign up based on library card and pin then, from memory, set up with email address and password

Edited by turnthetable
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

My Year with Helen - Fascinating doco about Helen Clark's (ex PM of NZ) bid to become the first woman UN Secretary-General in 2016

Process seems to be very similar to choosing who hosts the FIFA world cup and voting in the Eurovision song contest

• Like 1