Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly

Roy Grant Amplifiers

I have the same amp though it’s not getting used currently. Waiting to get some time to go through it and have it running like new again. Generally they ran KT88’s. I serviced them back in the day when sold by Grenfell HiFi and imported by Craig Lahiff into Australia.

Roy Grant was the tech brains behind Grant Lumley in the 70’s and early 80’s I think, until they parted company and each started up Grant Amplifiers and Lumley Amplifiers (Ray Lumley) respectively. 

There was a mono version of the G100, called the G100am, and also a 200watter as well. I think there was a 60 watter too. Nice amps, reliable and very musical, as were the Lumleys. Nothing spectacular about the design, just good engineering. Ultralinear output stage and split load phase splitter and all that stuff. Good trannies and a large power transformer. 

They had the option of LED bar power indicators on the front panel too, though mine doesn’t. Mine came with Telefunken ECC83s and ECC82s. Can’t recall what the KT88s were, maybe original Gold Lions. Apart from perhaps earlier production, the Telefunken tubes supplied  were made in former Yugoslavia and were really EI’s.
Great info thank you! I ought to have mine looked over as well really to be sure all caps etc are up to snuff.

Just popped a new set of 77s in tonight, better let them settle for a few weeks before passing judgement .

4 hours ago, Grizzly said:

ECC8320190415_193058.jpeg20190415_193110.jpeg20190415_193131.jpeg20190415_193139.jpeg

The ecc83 are Tungsrams Ant. 100%.

7 hours ago, unclekanus said:

The ecc83 are Tungsrams Ant. 100%.

Thanks Chris. Are they considered good?

I assume they would be 70s manufacture?

1965 telefunkeny goodness arrived todayIMG_20190416_113117_706.jpeg

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

Thanks Chris. Are they considered good?

I assume they would be 70s manufacture?

No probs Anthony. Yes, considered by many to be excellent tubes, myself included. In fact, I have yet to meet a Tungsram tube that I didn't like. I did once see a table of Tungsram date codes but that wouldn't help in this case given the tubes are rebranded.

Not sure on the 12au7's but someone else may have an idea. Sounds like you have a few to play with so between all those and those lovely Telefunkens, there's options aplenty :thumb:

No probs Anthony. Yes, considered by many to be excellent tubes, myself included. In fact, I have yet to meet a Tungsram tube that I didn't like. I did once see a table of Tungsram date codes but that wouldn't help in this case given the tubes are rebranded.
Not sure on the 12au7's but someone else may have an idea. Sounds like you have a few to play with so between all those and those lovely Telefunkens, there's options aplenty :thumb:
More than a few, I've been lent 15 pairs of 12AU7 to play with......