Sign in to follow this  
Grizzly

Roy Grant Amplifiers

Having just acquired one I am hoping there may be one or two others our there with info or experiences to share.

The G100AS is all original, having been in storage for about 25 years, and sounds truly sublime as is. Very quiet and an easy to decipher biasing arrangement.

So, any others owned one?

Any pictures of this Anthony?

Must admit, I've never heard of them.

Any pictures of this Anthony?

Must admit, I've never heard of them.
Yep! Neither had I to be fair. 20190403_185139.jpeg20190403_205723.jpeg20190404_185333.jpeg20190403_205740.jpeg20190403_205748.jpeg

Neat biasing arrangement, just twist the knobs next to each tube til the corresponding red lights are equally lit (at least that seems intuitively the way to do it?).

I guess I'd better open up the underside to see what delights await!

If there's ever a poster boy for "warm up" this is it. Bloody thing sounds broken til it's been running for 20 minutes or so!

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Grizzly said:

If there's ever a poster boy for "warm up" this is it. Bloody thing sounds broken til it's been running for 20 minutes or so!

Well, you chose to dance with the devil, G!  :P

Andy

PS:  Then again, 'warm up' is not just a 'glass' thing - AIUI, Naim amps sound their best after 3 days!  :lol:

Edited by andyr

12 hours ago, andyr said:

Well, you chose to dance with the devil, G!  :P

Andy

PS:  Then again, 'warm up' is not just a 'glass' thing - AIUI, Naim amps sound their best after 3 days!  :lol:

Some of the Graham Slee stuff as well Andy. Though I've never experienced as stark a contrast as in this situation.

And this is one gorgeous sounding amp as well, warm.

On 05/04/2019 at 8:47 AM, Grizzly said:

Neat biasing arrangement, just twist the knobs next to each tube til the corresponding red lights are equally lit (at least that seems intuitively the way to do it?).

Hey Ant,

For biasing the power tubes you generally back the trip pots off until the led's just go off. At least that's how it's gone with the amps I have with that arrangement. 

Sounds like the tubes may be getting a little long in the tooth if it takes 20 mins for them to sound right but if they sound great after that then they're still servicable. You won't do better than the ones that are in there....

Cheers

Chris

Hey Ant,

For biasing the power tubes you generally back the trip pots off until the led's just go off. At least that's how it's gone with the amps I have with that arrangement. 
Sounds like the tubes may be getting a little long in the tooth if it takes 20 mins for them to sound right but if they sound great after that then they're still servicable. You won't do better than the ones that are in there....

Cheers

Chris

This one has 2 red lights for each tube. Going too far either way results in only one or the other being lit whereas a small adjustment range leaves both lit. So I'm presuming that having both lit up equally gives the correct bias level?20190404_185333.jpeg

18 hours ago, Grizzly said:

This one has 2 red lights for each tube. Going too far either way results in only one or the other being lit whereas a small adjustment range leaves both lit. So I'm presuming that having both lit up equally gives the correct bias level?

100% right, mate. I didn't even notice that there were 4 lights per side! Don't mind me.....

How does it compare to the v-fets?