Snoopy8

Room correction with Upnp

Some fantastic info thank you. 

I kinda looked into similar recently but didn't get anything happening. 

Dirac are releasing software that will do convolution without certified hardware. If you email them they might send demo/beta software. 

I believe their convolution filters will work with Audirvana which now also works on Windows. It's in early stages and was a pain for me so I gave up. 

Also with a sonore bridge or rendu you can use those with Roon to send to upnp devices. Works with my Cambridge 752BD

28 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

Also with a sonore bridge or rendu you can use those with Roon to send to upnp devices. Works with my Cambridge 752BD

Did not explore that option because it would have complicated the setup.

Roon does do convolution but the load on the NUC is 2 to 3 times that of Minimserver running convolution. And yes, Roon itself is demanding on hardware.

Have Roon on trial, unlikely to purchase it...

Yeah it's not ideal and I'm wanting to simplify too. 

I like Roon but it is very limited and annoying at times. 

I am exploring the same thing: doing room equalization with upnp/dlna. There is a lot of media player software where you van use filters in, like foobar2000 with mathaudio or jriver. But the problem is software for making such a filter while using upnp/dlna. I can't nowhere find one. If you do your measurement with an other connection between computer and network player, it isn't the right measurement anymore.

So no real possebility for room equalization with upnp at the moment.

I tried with 2 computers, 1 sending a measurement WAV file in foobar2000, and 1 computer doing the measurement in foobar2000 with Mathaudio plugin using 15 seconds delay. Starting both at the right moment. This works, but I used a measurement file from REW. So the results are not OK I heard.

Next I want to try the same, but measuring in REW. The aquiered filter file can than be loaded in the Mathaudio plugin in Foobar2000 and be used with upnp. Now find the time to do so 😊.

kind regards, Jan

On 15/05/2019 at 2:56 PM, Bunno77 said:

Dirac are releasing software that will do convolution without certified hardware. If you email them they might send demo/beta software. 

Hey mate, can you share a bit more on this? Or even a link where Dirac have shared some info on it. Just want to have a bit more background info about what they've already put out, before I email them some questions.

Cheers

Edited by Music2496

We are working on the new 2.x standalone version for PC and Mac, that will use AU or VST plugins, but it's not ready yet and it will take time, you'll find details here:

https://www.facebook.com/DiracResearch/photos/a.611847825532517/2098832546834030/?type=3&__tn__=-R

Until then we might send you a download for testing the latest Dirac Live 2.2 calibration tool (that is complete) together with the 0.9.11 DiracLiveProcessor that is required for standalone use (it acts as a AU/VST host)

It's an alpha version though that is limited to stereo playback and should be used at 48 KHz only so that downsampling by the player is required, the user interface might change as well.

Please note that you'll need a player that supports standard AU or VST plugins like for example JRiver, Audirvana (now for Windows as well), etc.

Also take into account that no support is available for this very early build, if interested nonetheless you can send a request here:

http://helpdesk.dirac.se/index.php?pg=request

This is what I received via messenger. 

The new Audirvana on pc was so painful to even try to use I didn't bother contacting Dirac to try it. I mentioned that a different format that would work with Roon would be of great benefit to me ans they actually took it on board. 

Good luck

12 minutes ago, Bunno77 said:

This is what I received via messenger. 

The new Audirvana on pc was so painful to even try to use I didn't bother contacting Dirac to try it. I mentioned that a different format that would work with Roon would be of great benefit to me ans they actually took it on board. 

Thanks heaps mate.

On 17/05/2019 at 10:52 PM, JanvB said:

I am exploring the same thing: doing room equalization with upnp/dlna. There is a lot of media player software where you van use filters in, like foobar2000 with mathaudio or jriver. But the problem is software for making such a filter while using upnp/dlna. I can't nowhere find one. If you do your measurement with an other connection between computer and network player, it isn't the right measurement anymore.

So no real possebility for room equalization with upnp at the moment.

I tried with 2 computers, 1 sending a measurement WAV file in foobar2000, and 1 computer doing the measurement in foobar2000 with Mathaudio plugin using 15 seconds delay. Starting both at the right moment. This works, but I used a measurement file from REW. So the results are not OK I heard.

Next I want to try the same, but measuring in REW. The aquiered filter file can than be loaded in the Mathaudio plugin in Foobar2000 and be used with upnp. Now find the time to do so 😊.

kind regards, Jan

I do not recommend Foobar2000 for Upnp (& am a long time user!). The Upnp plugin does not support even 16/44.1, let alone high res and stutters on my decent laptop.  MathAudio is ok when there is no other option.

You will need a microphone and measurement software like REW. If you have not done a convolution filter before,  suggest using the step by step procedure written for Roon users. Setting up convolution in Minimserver is relatively easy. Please post if you need help...