Ian R-B

NZ Intl HiFi Show – 2020 ???

Well … maybe … and would be about time. Putting up this thread for Kiwi enthusiasts who would like to make it happen. There has to be interest and support … otherwise there ain’t gonna be any lift off. So please comment if the prospect appeals. The net is keen and from what I’ve seen/heard in Melb – we don’t know what we are missing out on.

Hi Ian, I flew over last year, scouted and secured a potential Auckland venue and spoke with as many prospective exhibitors as I could in 4 days, plus many since. Sadly, they all share an opinion that no one will turn up. Not sure what else to say other than the risk vs return is very high on a NZ show IMO.

10 hours ago, Ian R-B said:

Well … maybe … and would be about time. Putting up this thread for Kiwi enthusiasts who would like to make it happen. There has to be interest and support … otherwise there ain’t gonna be any lift off. So please comment if the prospect appeals. The net is keen and from what I’ve seen/heard in Melb – we don’t know what we are missing out on.

As much as I would enjoy a nice weekend in Auckland , Ian and the  Kiwi enthusiasts you should look at pre group book Airfare Hotel weekend in Melbourne ..You wont be disappointed . 👍

Stump

Start small - a few core retailers in a small room. Run a Record fair to attract new blood. Do the whole thing ‘core’, and grow organically from there?

15 hours ago, Marc said:

Sadly, they all share an opinion that no one will turn up.

Sadly it's my impression too. A few years ago as part of a Headfi meet about 100 paying visitors turned up. It ran a 2nd year and I thought both were worthwhile from a select group only. Very basic limited promo - but fair workload for organiser and died. I honestly don't understand the apparent lack of motivation. Our Ebay equivalent Auction site indicates there's huge interest in gear and loads of people complain they can't get to see/hear stuff due to need to travel all over the place.

11 hours ago, Stump said:

look at pre group book Airfare Hotel weekend in Melbourne ..You wont be disappointed . 👍

Stump

If the mountain won't come to Muhammad ... worth a checkout.

8 hours ago, candyflip said:

Start small - a few core retailers in a small room. Run a Record fair to attract new blood. Do the whole thing ‘core’, and grow organically from there?

Yes thought had run through my mind. The little Headfi meet in Auckland had a few flying up from way down South but back then very expensive airfares. Now there are very good cheap flights from the Provinces as well as main Centres.

Thanks for comments - pity no one from NZ posted ... only been a day though so early days.

There are many great new organisers of Fairs coming up in NZ, which has been quite a few years behind the market here to be honest.

One of the new fresh young breed is a guy who lives and works in Hamilton, named Dujon Cullingford. He's on Facebook under the 'Record Fairs in New Zealand' group. He represents the new face of the youth market for vinyl (he just ran a very successful outdoor market with bands and loads of record stalls in Hamilton the other month - 'Grooves in the Garden') and he'd be a great asset should you want to spin a Fair up for yourself.   👌

Cheers - not heard of him but I get up to Hamilton a few times a year and know some Vinyl fans there so will check out.