65" FZ950 OLED now under $3k. Buy or wait for GZ950?

Hi guys,

Will be upgrading our TV in the next 3 months once our HT is ready. Our main content is both 1080p and 4k movies watched digitally. Our current screen is a 42" plasma back from 2010.

By reading your expert opinions here on the forum  I found that the FZ950 seems to be one of the best value for money TVs at the moment.

As of today the FZ950 has just drop $1k in price in preparation for the GZ950 successor to replace it. The GZ950 supports now Dolby Vision and uses a new processor among other features.

I'm assuming the successor will cost $4.5k at least. Not sure if the new features are worth the extra $1.5k. Would like to hear from you that either own an FZ950 or know about the subject.

Wait for the GZ950 at $4.5k or buy now the fz950 for just under $3k? (the eternal dilemma :D)

Edited by venom

@venom

Like you I have been looking at the Panasonic. I am not sure of the importance, but the new Panasonic for this year include dolby vision. I don't understand what this means in reality.

The other TV I have been considering is the Sony A8F, which on ebay appears for $3,200 from Sony store every few weeks.

15 hours ago, Whites said:

@venom

Like you I have been looking at the Panasonic. I am not sure of the importance, but the new Panasonic for this year include dolby vision. I don't understand what this means in reality.

The other TV I have been considering is the Sony A8F, which on ebay appears for $3,200 from Sony store every few weeks.

Exactly. Dolby vision is for hdr content. However I think hdr can be decoded on the player device. Thats why I would like to hear oppinions. In the end I have found those things sometimes don’t end up being used. However I don’t know have been on 1080p on a plasma with dts hd for too long.

14 hours ago, Nevyn72 said:

Just bought one! ? 

$2960 delivered from ebay.

Glad for you matey. Great price isn’t it? Would you mind sharing your reasoning behind the purchase? Although it is on clearance It is a great tv in my opinnion.

Edited by venom

2 hours ago, venom said:

Would you mind sharing your reasoning behind the purchase?

Opportunistic purchase. I wanted to wait for an OLED to replace my Plasma, not happy with the LCD options.

It finally made the price point I was happy with....

I would have been equally happy with the Sony A8F. ;)

I just saw Harvey Norman have the 65 fz950  for 2995.

I was going to go for a q8 Samsung qled but it seems that this is a better option. I have a bright room and some people suggest that I need to go for the qled for that reason. Any thoughts? 

2 hours ago, christosd said:

I have a bright room and some people suggest that I need to go for the qled for that reason. Any thoughts? 

Same conundrum right here right now.

Samsung QLED with elite black (Q7 and higher) .... or OLED.

I am leaning towards the former .... or letting my plasma TV run for another year.

9 hours ago, venom said:

Exactly. Dolby vision is for hdr content. However I think hdr can be decoded on the player device. Thats why I would like to hear oppinions. In the end I have found those things sometimes don’t end up being used. However I don’t know have been on 1080p on a plasma with dts hd for too long.

Its complicated venom ; 12 bit dolby vision cant be tone mapped by the player and its metadata must be sent straight to the tv for decoding ; plain HDR10 can be mapped by pana players ..

Maybe look at the titles you want and see which ones are proprietary ; rtings has a good look  https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/hdr10-vs-dolby-vision

I would be sorely tempted to look at the runout model and if I wanted the best hdr from all my sources maybe wait for a standalone madvr envy to turn up ; wont be cheap but will likely be the best .. Some food for thought if sony doesn't give with its proprietary stance -

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/37-video-processors/3053602-madvr-envy-anticipation-thread-9.html#post57789286

I already use madvr for most of my content. It is a wonderful thing. Madvr envy looks very promising hope is good value for money. Thanks for your very informative comments. Cheers.

Edited by venom
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, davewantsmoore said:

Same conundrum right here right now.

Samsung QLED with elite black (Q7 and higher) .... or OLED.

I am leaning towards the former .... or letting my plasma TV run for another year.

Bright room was main reason I went Qled and I’m glad I did, otherwise if you plan to watch only in night time / dark room go for Oled

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kukynas said:

Bright room was main reason I went Qled and I’m glad I did, otherwise if you plan to watch only in night time / dark room go for Oled

Yeah - I wasn't very clear.    This is for a very bright room (windows behind the viewers) ....  although 75% watching is at night.

I think I'll continue to be one of those "plasma still going strong, won't die" people for a while yet.

On 03/04/2019 at 4:27 PM, Nevyn72 said:

Just bought one! ? 

Delivered this morning, installed and watched for the last few hours, lots of 4K streaming, VERY HAPPY! 

When the box turned up I wondered if they had brought a dining table by mistake..... :blink:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

Delivered this morning, installed and watched for the last few hours, lots of 4K streaming, VERY HAPPY! 

When the box turned up I wondered if they had brought a dining table by mistake..... :blink:

So much envy ? good on you mate!!! I’m happy you were able to take advantage of the price drop.

How big is the box? Would be measuring it too much to ask? Wondering if it will fit in the land cruiser. 

Are new Qled or Oled owners using any particular Bluray disk to calibrate their TV's?

I think I have been watching Vincent Teoh to much and the purchase is just one aspect, next appears to be the calibration for the room it is in.

While I'm here - I am in the 12 yr+ Panasonic Plasma brigade.   Like a 1975 Toyoto Corolla -The Pana won't die!    

My TV viewing is with lights on at night.    Daytime viewing is with timber blinds mostly open and natural light.     I am not really a Movie watcher, more a binge Kodi watcher of TV shows.    Most are 720p quality owing to the Plasma being 720p.

Any recommendations re Qled vs Oled with those room viewing habit in mind.    

Regards Cazzesman

For what it is worth, last year I bought an EZ950.  My room is quite bright, but no direct sun.  I was concerned about how it would handle the room , but found that it was better than my old VT60!  I think the big issue is that many of the latest TV's are essentially light cannons, so whilst the OLED aren't in that league they still perform well in bright rooms.  I would not go back to my VT60.

At the current price, the FZ is a cracking TV at a very good price. Nearly makes me wish I had waited a year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cazzesman said:

I am in the 12 yr+ Panasonic Plasma brigade.   Like a 1975 Toyoto Corolla -The Pana won't die!

My Panasonic Plasma is 11 years old and still works great, replaced it anyway and couldn't be happier! :whistle:

4 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

My Panasonic Plasma is 11 years old and still works great, replaced it anyway and couldn't be happier! :whistle:

6 minutes ago, Nevyn72 said:

It will not...... :no:

1830 x 940 x 250mm

Delivery was only ~$50.

You are a legend mate, thank you for taking the time to measure it.

Would fit if I take the rear seat out but not worth the trouble for such a fragile item.  Cheers

Edited by venom

53 minutes ago, Mike13 said:

Do OLEDs have to be transported upright, like the old plasmas?

Yes they do.

These are just getting cheaper, if you're quick!

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-Panasonic-TH-65FZ950U-65-165cm-OLED-UHD-Smart-TV/113176598966?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Use the code PLOT10 for a $200 discount before 8/4/19.

Makes it $2795.00 + delivery or pickup!

• Like 1