REL + Class D poweramp advice

3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

Is the REL plugged into a different power point than the rest of the system?

If so another thing to try is running the REL from the same power point as the amp as that can also reduce hum.

Thanks for the suggestion,

The hum is kind of all gone with the RCA LFE cable connected. REL is connected to the same power supply on a different high current port on a PS audio dectet that the poweramp is also connected to. 

Main issue now is no sound coming from sub with only the red & yellow cables in =( 

OK so is the RCA connected into the REL Low Level Input or the .1/LFE input?

Reason for asking is I dont believe you can run the Low Level Input and Speakon simultaneously BUT you can run the Speakon and LFE simultaneously.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Tubularbells said:

OK so is the RCA connected into the REL Low Level Input or the .1/LFE input?

Reason for asking is I dont believe you can run the Low Level Input and Speakon simultaneously BUT you can run the Speakon and LFE simultaneously.

Yep, great question, I saw that high & low level inputs can't be run together. 

The RCA is plugged into the LFE RCA port for grounding purposes which seems to have worked fine as suggested in the thread. 

Just pulling my hair out over no sound output without the black cable plugged in. Given yellow & red are signal cables they really should work, and have worked for other forum members which leads me to believe maybe the cable is faulty. The amp itself is working fine, the LS50's are producing sound normally from the exact same ports coming out of the poweramp that the REL yellow & red cables are plugged to. 

Or maybe something within the internal circuitry of the sub isn't compatible with yellow & red cables just from my particular amplifier? Because it does work fine with black cable plugged in which means sub itself isn't broken.  

So one last thing before im out of ideas and it's one of those captain obvious ones but still may have been overlooked is have you made sure the volume for the Hi/Lo level (first pot on the LHS) is turned up as you have two volume controls for this and another for the LFE input.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tubularbells said:

So one last thing before im out of ideas and it's one of those captain obvious ones but still may have been overlooked is have you made sure the volume for the Hi/Lo level (first pot on the LHS) is turned up as you have two volume controls for this and another for the LFE input.

Thanks again for all the suggestions mate. 

The hi/lo knob is turned to 12 o'clock (mid setting), it's very loud and works but only when the black cable is in. 

I might have to use the low level input instead of the high level one because I've exhausted every link on google with 'REL and Class D' or perhaps buy a new speakon cable but they are quite costly and may also not help because the fact that it works with the black cable plugged in suggests that the cable isn't broken. 

Otherwise it would be time to move the sub on which is a big pity, I was very excited about picking up a REL to complete my set up. 

Edited by G-Dubz

Very strange....I've tested the REL sub on a different Bel Canto Class D amplifier with the same speakon cable - and just connecting the yellow & red with black floating works fine with normal sub output. This suggests that the speakon cable is fine & that the sub itself is fine. 

However, I've brought the sub back home and on the primare 30.7 class D poweramp, no matter what I do I cannot get the yellow & red cable connected with black floating to work - zero sub output. There is sub output only when the black cable is plugged into the (-) terminal on the amp, which is risky and not recommended as per REL & the reason for creating this topic. It works with either yellow or red onto a (+) channel with a black cable (-) connected. Just not with the yellow & red (+) cables connected without the black.  

It has been suggested that perhaps the Primare amps polarity has shifted and it needs a service which I would consider doing. In the interim, I've plugged the RCA sub out to the low level input with a cheap cable borrowed from a friend, and it seems to work fine this way. This may be the way to go, except I can't plug another RCA cable into the LFE port as the preamp has only 1 sub output.

Google doesn't have much to add, perhaps I might be the only Primare & REL owner with this issue! Hopefully this will help other as they are a great sounding combination to me. 

Image of what REL recommends (which doesn't work) is provided below again for reference; 
Image result for primare class D image REL

Edited by G-Dubz

53 minutes ago, G-Dubz said:

In the interim, I've plugged the RCA sub out to the low level input with a cheap cable borrowed from a friend, and it seems to work fine this way. This may be the way to go, except I can't plug another RCA cable into the LFE port as the preamp has only 1 sub output.

Yes, you can.  Buy a 'Y' or 'T' RCA connector from Jaycar and plug this into the preamp's "sub out".

Or - better, IMO - don't use the single "sub out" and buy 2x Y' / 'T' RCA connectors and plug one into each preamp out RCA ... to give you 2x preamp outs for each channel.

Andy

Edited by andyr

Thanks guys, I just got a really helpful email from REL support which I hope will help fix my problems. 

Just an FYI for anyone else out there with a Primare & REL or high level sub combo: 

Will report back once I try it. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Geoff.

It seems that the A30.7 works in a different way to conventional amps - The short version is that the A30.7 uses the BLACK amp output terminals as active and the RED as ground on channels 1,2,3 & 4.
Channels 5,6 & 7 are conventional - It seems that this is the problem that you are getting. 

Please see information below and make the connections accordingly - 

A REL can connect to the Primare A30.7, however, since the A30.7 has a different output orientation depending on the output channel, it is important that the instructions below are followed. 

For Channels 1, 2, 3 and 4: The Primare A30.7 uses the BLACK speaker output for active signal to the speakers and the RED speaker output as ground. - Connect the Red wire to the Right negative (black) speaker output and Yellow wire to the Left negative (black) speaker output on the A30.7. - The Black wire on the high level cable should be left unconnected. Please trim it so there is no bare wire and tape it so there is no chance of shorting. Instead of using the Black wire for ground, connect a RCA to RCA cable from the preamp driving the A30.7 to the REL LFE input. - DO NOT connect the Black wire of the REL high level cable to chassis ground. 

For Channels 5, 6 and 7: These connections are conventional since the Primare A30.7 uses the RED speaker output for the active signal to the speakers and the BLACK speaker output as a ground. - Connect the Red wire to the Right positive (red) speaker output and Yellow wire to the Left Positive (red) speaker output on the A30.7. - The Black wire on the high level cable should be left unconnected. Please trim it so there is no bare wire and tape it so there is no chance of shorting. Instead of using the Black wire for ground, connect a RCA to RCA cable from the preamp driving the A30.7 to the REL LFE input. - DO NOT connect the Black wire of the REL high level cable to chassis ground 

This should solve the issue you had - Please let me know if you have any problems or further questions.