Which 55" 4k TV?

10 hours ago, Mat-with-one-t said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-X90F-55-4K-UHD-Android-LED-TV-KD55X9000F/183753511776?epid=20019383744&hash=item2ac8901360:g:K-gAAOSwoj9bG0L9

Anyone have thoughts/experience on this Sony?  Comes in at $1516 wi5h the 20% discount code.....

one review mentions a minimal effective viewing angle.  If that’s true, then what unit would cover a wider angle well?

If you desire an LCD TV with a wider viewing angle then buy one with an IPS panel. All LG LEDs and lower end Sonys use IPS panels however the trade off is poor contrast. Read a few reviews to learn about this issue in greater detail.

2 hours ago, pc9 said:

If you desire an LCD TV with a wider viewing angle then buy one with an IPS panel. All LG LEDs and lower end Sonys use IPS panels however the trade off is poor contrast. Read a few reviews to learn about this issue in greater detail.

Thanks for that.  Yeah, it’s a case of practicality I suppose.  This is a room for all family use, not a home cinema, so nothing will be “ideal” - viewing at angles, lots of natural light during day and reflections at night.  As mentioned, sound duties will be via stereo, so no issues there.  Content mostly free-to-air and Netflix, with the kids also PS4.

What about the Pana’s?  They seem to consistently come in as the best compromise b/w picture movement/sharpness/colour/brightness/accuracy and overall build quality/reliability.....?

On 14/04/2019 at 10:27 PM, Mat-with-one-t said:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sony-X90F-55-4K-UHD-Android-LED-TV-KD55X9000F/183753511776?epid=20019383744&hash=item2ac8901360:g:K-gAAOSwoj9bG0L9

Anyone have thoughts/experience on this Sony?  Comes in at $1516 wi5h the 20% discount code.....

one review mentions a minimal effective viewing angle.  If that’s true, then what unit would cover a wider angle well?

See my post on previous page regarding this tv.

I don’t get people worrying about viewing angles, how far off centre are people actually sitting..

I have a similar question to this thread that I'm hoping someone can help with. I'm about to replace an old Toshiba 47" lcd that has been great. It's about 10 years old and has been in the bedroom. I just bought a Samsung 55" KS8000 last year for my living room. It's been a good tv so far. I'm looking at two different scenarios.

Scenario 1 - Just get a new 55" for the bedroom. I'm wanting 4K with HDR I think and needs to be a decent smart tv. I'm considering the TCL 55" P Series, but I haven't found one in stores yet to take a look at it. I can afford to wait for the 2018 model if it doesn't take too long to arrive.

Scenario 2 - Move the living room tv to the bedroom and get a nicer living room tv, but still 55".

Are there any TVs better than the TCL for $900 or less and preferably no more than $700-$800, or is the TCL really that good for the money? I guess one other question would be is the TCL P series better than my Samsung 55" KS8000?

If anyone could offer up some thoughts, I would really appreciate the help. I haven't kept up with tv standards and pricing these days.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/04/2019 at 4:26 PM, markm1111 said:

I had to replace one tv, a 14 year old Phillips that the speakers blew on, and wanted a tv for the study. In the recent couple of Ebay sales, i managed to pick up from the official Sony Ebay store a 65" A8F OLED for $2,899 (rrp $5,999), and a 55" A8F OLED for $1,799 (rrp $3,999), both including delivery and full factory 12 month warranty.

Now, these were advertised as "box damaged". I took a punt on the first one, and given there was only a very slight mark on the box, and absolutely nothing wrong with the tv, I bought the other one. There were quite a few available. I suspect that it was a form of clearance sale. I did steer clear of the seconds though, not confident in those. Anyway, if you are willing to take some risk, keep an eye out and you might find another sale come along from their ebay store.

I am thinking of getting one as well but isn't the official Sony store on ebay just selling Seconds stock. As per Ebay "Manufacturer refurbished: An item that has been professionally restored to working order by a manufacturer or manufacturer-approved seller or retailer. This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition. This item may or may not be in the original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full details." 

Did Sony advertise a lot as box damaged instead of refurbished?

Thanks, Ans