Sign in to follow this  
mattjtaylor2809

Which 55" 4k TV?

Hi All,

Looking to replace a 10 year old Panasonic Plasma with a "smart tv" & HN's have a pretty big sale on at the moment.

My x2 favorites are the Panasonic FX950 (OLED)  @ $1,995 or the Sony X9000F (LED) @ $1,895 but I'm not limited to them but I want to keep under $2K if possible? Out of the two I'm leaning towards the FZ950, possibly through brand loyalty to Panasonic but also I seem to find there picture more natural, not over gained.....this of course could be different in their OLED TV's? I'm only after a 55" as in the same room I have a 100" screen with a 1080P Projector.

I'm not a gamer, I mainly watch Fox HD (Sport/Movies), Netflix (both HD & 4K) & Bluray's....what's most critical is fast moving objects in sports (AFL & cricket) & smooth panning (no judder).

Cheers all

Matt

Hi Matt. I'm on the lookout too. I thought I saw an  LG B8 55 oled for 1890 at JB when I went in there last week. I'm on the hunt for a 65 Samsung q7 or even q8 as I thinky room is a little bright. Anyway,  I have a feeling that they are holding back stocks at the moment for a sudden release of 2019 models later this month. Let us know what you find. 

Possibly but I always buy 12-18 month behind as they’re half the original price.
I’ve read that the LG B8 is very good but I’ve also read about LG’s really poor quality control & customer service...I’ll stick with Sony, Panasonic & Samsung (eventhough they’re all LG panels!).

Posted (edited)

Does it HAVE to be "smart"?

Considering your last paragraph for now you are probably better off sticking with the Pana IMHO!!!

Foxtels' 4K Channel and my 4K BD's still look sensational even though they are downscaled to 1080p for my (also 10 year old) Pioneer plasma.  

Edited by JohnL

I do like the “smart” features which I know I can get by adding a Apple TV box or similar.

I’m actually using a Fetch box from Optus for Netflix at the moment...& it’s crap! I can’t actually get Netflix at the moment, not a problem with the network connection, enter my pass code & nothing??

Hi Matt. I just grabbed the 65 Panasonic oled for 2995 from hardly normal. They had the LG 55 for 1985 (?) 

Posted (edited)

Yep. I did a quick check and it seemed that it was a reasonable deal, plus I was sick of looking around and it has a glass panel like the much more expensive C series LG. 

Edited by christosd

That’s a great price, do you have it home yet? I maybe able to pop over on Sunday to have a look & listen!

Out of stock in ADL so should be in early next week. They were going to try to get it in Saturday but I doubt it. You are always welcome for a listen anyway. 

I am using the TCL Roku Smart LED TV. And it is pretty good. My brother used this mostly for his gaming. 

6 hours ago, jeaneallenn said:

I am using the TCL Roku Smart LED TV. And it is pretty good. My brother used this mostly for his gaming. 

Sadly we don't get the US spec TCLs here in Australia - no Roku and different panel specs from what I'm led to believe.

I had to replace one tv, a 14 year old Phillips that the speakers blew on, and wanted a tv for the study. In the recent couple of Ebay sales, i managed to pick up from the official Sony Ebay store a 65" A8F OLED for $2,899 (rrp $5,999), and a 55" A8F OLED for $1,799 (rrp $3,999), both including delivery and full factory 12 month warranty.

Now, these were advertised as "box damaged". I took a punt on the first one, and given there was only a very slight mark on the box, and absolutely nothing wrong with the tv, I bought the other one. There were quite a few available. I suspect that it was a form of clearance sale. I did steer clear of the seconds though, not confident in those. Anyway, if you are willing to take some risk, keep an eye out and you might find another sale come along from their ebay store.

23 hours ago, pete_mac said:

Sadly we don't get the US spec TCLs here in Australia - no Roku and different panel specs from what I'm led to believe.

Yep - in the US, TCL series 5 and 6 have full array local dimming (FALD) as well as Roku. Noticed that Samsung have cheapened up the build quality and lowered prices on their 2019 QLEDs. I suspect that this is in direct response to damaged inflicted on Samsung market share in the US by budget priced TCLs and Vizio FALD TVs.

Hi All,

I’m not exactly sure what FALD is & it’s positives (any negatives?).

Was in HN’s in Sat & I still think the FZ950 was the most impressive 55” panel under $2k.

1 minute ago, mattjtaylor2809 said:

Hi All,

I’m not exactly sure what FALD is & it’s positives (any negatives?).

Was in HN’s in Sat & I still think the FZ950 was the most impressive 55” panel under $2k.

Direct backlighting as opposed to edge lighting in LCD/LED TVs. Most high end backlit TVs also have local dimming zones which dim the screen as required to improve dark scene performance, hence tha FALD acronym. 

Its a videophyle thing - good quality edge lit LED sets with decent native contrast and local dimming algorithym will be good enough for most people.

For the purest picture quality, self emissive displays (no backlighting) such as OLED are the way to go.

Hope that helps.