If you had to sell all of your vinyl but keep one artist's catalogue.

Simple question. You're strapped for cash or have gone full digital and you are about to sell absolutely everything. What would you not be able to sell?

For me, I could not bring myself to sell all of my Radiohead vinyl or possibly, to a lesser extent, my R.E.M. vinyl. I have pretty much all of their albums and I have no idea what they are worth price wise but I just couldn't do it and let them go forever.

Edited by deviltoob

23 minutes ago, deviltoob said:

Simple question. You're strapped for cash or have gone full digital and you are about to sell absolutely everything. What would you not be able to sell?

For me, I could not bring myself to sell all of my Radiohead vinyl or possibly, to a lesser extent, my R.E.M. vinyl. I have pretty much all of their albums and I have no idea what they are worth price wise but I just couldn't do it and let them go forever.

None of it stays.

If digital wins, all my vinyl loses... bye bye.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, deviltoob said:

I couldnt sell my Floyd. 

Or my Zep.

Or my Zappa.

Or my Black Crowes.

Or my Stones

Or my...well you get the idea.

• Like 2

If it had to be limited to one artist, then in my vinyl collection it would probably be Van Morrison or Neil Young.  It would be damn hard parting with my Roy Buchanan and early U2 vinyl though.

Still have around 500 LPs but there would probably only be around 10 artists where I have more than 2 or 3 of their albums and even then there would be no more than 5 or 6 LPs from any one of them.  I have always had pretty eclectic tastes.

Having said that, I do have all of Died Pretty's albums on CD and my 7" vinyl of Everybody Moves would have to stay!

• Like 1

Questions too damn hard so id rather live under a bridge WITH my vinyl than go without!

To me my vinyl invokes more memories of time & place over what any photo or image could so are therefore a precious part of my OCD ?

• Like 3

Goddammit!! Stop being wussies. I said pick ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

Lol. 

I’ve actually culled most of my collection. I can’t get rid of Radiohead because the cover art and packaging is just so nice. I’ll be culling my SACD/CDs as well so I can just go with iTunes music. I haven’t missed any of the stuff I’ve sold to be honest.

Too bloody hard-  for now in this moment:

Male  -  BEATLES   or Black Keys

Female - AMY.W or Linda. R.

NO! no! no! ,  too too hard : i'm not playing anymore and i am taking my footy um! sorry , my vinyl and going home.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

I actually did this, I converted everything to Digital and stored on hard drives and donated all my CDs to charity a few years ago except for Prince (thank goodness) ?

I kept Prince's as his material was mainly out of print even back then (this was before his passing).

Regretted donating my Madonna ones though, but have since restored my collection but it was a very expensive exercise as some of the CD singles were now up to $100 each as they are rare and out of print.

Lesson learnt there.

The artist I would keep over everyone else would be PRINCE though.........

and Madonna as female artist.

I don't mention vinyl as I am a newbie with vinyl ..........so did not have vinyl back then.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is what faced me in 2009 when I retired and relocated from Washington, D.C. to the Central Coast, N.S.W.  Having collected somewhere around 1500 lp's and a 1000 cd's, what to do? I knew nothing of digital files so in a celebration of not only my ignorance but my stupidity I brought four suitcases full of cd's and my favourite 75 vinyls in a carryon bag.  Since then the cd's have been converted to wav files, the vinyls donated to Vinnies and the remaining vinyls in the States given to my best mate. To answer the OP's question the vinyls were those not reissued on cd at the time. Much of the catelog of Bobby Hutcherson, Brian Auger and Andy Narell, not exactly household names, and a bunch of Blue Notes. If only I knew then what I know now. Put the cds on a single hardrive, ship the vinyls and turn them into my dream system. DOH!

1 hour ago, djmt said:

This is what faced me in 2009 when I retired and relocated from Washington, D.C. to the Central Coast, N.S.W.  Having collected somewhere around 1500 lp's and a 1000 cd's, what to do? I knew nothing of digital files so in a celebration of not only my ignorance but my stupidity I brought four suitcases full of cd's and my favourite 75 vinyls in a carryon bag.  Since then the cd's have been converted to wav files, the vinyls donated to Vinnies and the remaining vinyls in the States given to my best mate. To answer the OP's question the vinyls were those not reissued on cd at the time. Much of the catelog of Bobby Hutcherson, Brian Auger and Andy Narell, not exactly household names, and a bunch of Blue Notes. If only I knew then what I know now. Put the cds on a single hardrive, ship the vinyls and turn them into my dream system. DOH!

Don't underestimate the value of CDs or feel bad about the fact you brought them with you.

I collected all of Madonna's CD singles from every early on in her career, then when everyone was ripping their to files to play on iTunes I did that too and donated all those CD singles (and albums) to the Charity Shop.  Then one day only a few months ago, I realised how crappy everything sounded through iTunes (back then Flac was not really known when I first started ripping them years ago) and I decided to rebuild my Madonna CD collection. Some of those singles back then in the 90s in particular cost me $4 each - but to re-buy them, some of them have cost me up to $60 each !! I kid you not - as they are out of print and hard to get. The other sad thing is that all of mine were in Mint Condition as I had kept them in protective sleeves and I just look after all my things as I am OCD.

But I have had to pay for some that are not in as great a condition and settle because they are hard to get now.

Thanks goodness I never parted with ANY of my Prince ones - because some of those CD box sets are worth up to $800 now as they are long out of print etc. I had boxed them up and kept them in the linen press. But when it dawned on me that I was missing out on my music, I started to rebuild my sound system as I was running a sound bar and playing everything through bluetooth !!

I know we all love Vinyl but sometimes I feel we forget that CDs are a great medium too and I wanted my Madonna ones back as many of them had unreleased songs and remixes on them that were never on Vinyl.

I am glad to have both mediums in my collection - and I will think twice now before every parting with either mediums because it sure is costly to try and get them back again. Lesson learnt.

Edited by April Snow
  • Like 1