Triad vs krix

Hey guys. 

I'm building a home theater at the end of the year and I'm torn between krix and triad speakers. My designer is pushing me to use traid as that what he always uses, but krix seems like a really good option. What do you think? 

Does anyone know where I can demo traid? 

Guest Peter the Greek

Is that Shawn? 

He probably doesn't appreciate how f-ing expensive they are in Australia.

The problem with using a US based designer....frankly there are no other options, I did....is that they only have experience with certain brands. They're putting their reputation on the line if you use a product that is to them, not a known entity. It avoids potential for conflict if you use Triad. Frankly, I would use Krix over Triad at retail prices....but then those LCR's second hand are so very tempting (if I was in the market)

What about JBL?

Edited by Peter the Greek

I really like the idea of Australian Speakers being in an Australian Home Theatre - with that said, by all accounts the Triad Speakers are top notch (although seemingly more expensive?)

Have you had a chance to listen to any theatres with the speakers you would likely be getting?

55 minutes ago, minireza said:

I really like the idea of Australian Speakers being in an Australian Home Theatre - with that said, by all accounts the Triad Speakers are top notch (although seemingly more expensive?)

Have you had a chance to listen to any theatres with the speakers you would likely be getting?

australian brands always get raw end of deal this ways. us brands get more marketing in us, forums are buzz with them... reviews ...so people automatically read that as the less talked off krix, without the us forum following, that they aren't perhaps as good?

are you planning on spending a small fortune ? perhaps plan a day trip to krix ... with the low cost of flights these days or visit some retailers who have a decent setup ,. I think there are some in melb, no idea on sydney.

certainly whom ever selling what ever they are .... are going to push that. its to be expected but as someone buying well worth exploring the options to best decide. I can tell you hearing the KRIX pop up theatre (and what an understandment that is using the term) was WOW WOW WOW at the show last year. krix do mega theatres... and can do mind blowing id suggest in a home. if I were doing a dedicated home theatre unlikely id look further than krix for a front wall and requisite surrounds

another alternative is M&K, they had a great setup at audio trends I heard. another great choice for a dedicated theatre....

I'm not sure if an old member of DTV forums named Prior is still floating around here, his old forum name isn't. However he built an awesome dedicated home theatre under his home using hidden Krix speakers and the result was probably the best HT I've ever heard... and this was before Atmos was released. He used Elektra amplification (who are now producing Krix branded amps) and a Marantz processor.

It would be well worth tracking him down for a demo in the Melbourne Eastern suburbs. Perhaps Krix could also direct you towards Sydney/Gong setups they've supplied.

1 hour ago, Peter the Greek said:

Is that Shawn? 

He probably doesn't appreciate how f-ing expensive they are in Australia.

The problem with using a US based designer....frankly there are no other options, I did....is that they only have experience with certain brands. They're putting their reputation on the line if you use a product that is to them, not a known entity. It avoids potential for conflict if you use Triad. Frankly, I would use Krix over Triad at retail prices....but then those LCR's second hand are so very tempting (if I was in the market)

What about JBL?

Yeah it is Shawn. I showed him krix but was not keen on the idea at all. 

I'm getting a basic package off him for mainly acoustic treatment design. So I'm hoping he won't be too fussed if I insist on using krix. 

But my biggest issue with triad at the moment is being able to demo it before I buy and finding local prices. 

Guest Peter the Greek
6 minutes ago, solman said:

Yeah it is Shawn. I showed him krix but was not keen on the idea at all. 

I'm getting a basic package off him for mainly acoustic treatment design. So I'm hoping he won't be too fussed if I insist on using krix. 

But my biggest issue with triad at the moment is being able to demo it before I buy and finding local prices. 

Yeah and one of the dealers I found terrible....this was years ago, but I wont buy on principle.

I've only demo'ed the golds which I think Mcleans had in their old showroom. Not sure if they do in their "new one". I was pretty underwhelmed by them, as was my wife. In fact I'd go Vaf over the golds - similar drivers/array from memory (both use Seas drivers), but Vaf does it better.

I'd hop on a plane and go see Krix. Shawn will just have to suck it up :D - tell him I said that  :D :D :D

Presumably Krix will provide a full set of measurements? that should get Shawn happy(ier)

Edited by Peter the Greek

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

australian brands always get raw end of deal this ways. us brands get more marketing in us, forums are buzz with them... reviews ...so people automatically read that as the less talked off krix, without the us forum following, that they aren't perhaps as good?

are you planning on spending a small fortune ? perhaps plan a day trip to krix ... with the low cost of flights these days or visit some retailers who have a decent setup ,. I think there are some in melb, no idea on sydney.

certainly whom ever selling what ever they are .... are going to push that. its to be expected but as someone buying well worth exploring the options to best decide. I can tell you hearing the KRIX pop up theatre (and what an understandment that is using the term) was WOW WOW WOW at the show last year. krix do mega theatres... and can do mind blowing id suggest in a home. if I were doing a dedicated home theatre unlikely id look further than krix for a front wall and requisite surrounds

another alternative is M&K, they had a great setup at audio trends I heard. another great choice for a dedicated theatre....

I worked on a commercial cinema that used krix and thought it was amazing. I've yet to hear them in a domestic environment. 

I love the fact they are local, and have massive amount of support. 

From what most people are telling me I'll end up using krix. 

• Like 1

I do not understand how you can leave the choice of speakers to another person as it is you that will be listening to it, there are a lot of very good Australian speaker manufacturers that will be better or equivalent to the imported products, Adelaide speakers can custom build what ever you want, I have two 15 inch sub woofers from Edward  in my two channel music system and they are brilliant, give him a call and talk to him. http://www.adelaidespeakers.com/index.html

3 hours ago, vwo60 said:

I do not understand how you can leave the choice of speakers to another person as it is you that will be listening to it, there are a lot of very good Australian speaker manufacturers that will be better or equivalent to the imported products, Adelaide speakers can custom build what ever you want, I have two 15 inch sub woofers from Edward  in my two channel music system and they are brilliant, give him a call and talk to him. http://www.adelaidespeakers.com/index.html

Couldn't agree with you more. Some people may love the sound produced from a speaker, while others could totally hate them. It really is just a personal choice in the end

The only reason I'm even considering triad because my designer insist on it. But if I can't even listen to them before buying them, then they are going to be ruled out. 

• Like 1

I remember I while ago that there was a representative from krix that used to post on these forums. Does anyone know if they still around? 

Would love to know what the best plan of attack to get a demo and recommendations for what I'm after

3 minutes ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

Hi @solman,

I'm here :)

If you'd like to send through a rough plan of your room to info@krix.com (with any other details you can give) I can take a look and make some recommendations on products etc.

Cheers,

Michael

How good is this, someone from Krix actually contacts you .

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

Hi @solman,

If you'd like to send through a rough plan of your room to info@krix.com (with any other details you can give) I can take a look and make some recommendations on products etc.

Cheers,

Michael

Awesome. Expect an email from me soon ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Krix Loudspeakers said:

Hi @solman,

Cheers,

Michael

@solman i am in the same situation now as i am currently planning to upgrade my home cinema.

I'm located in Cairns and made the journey to Adelaide recently and caught up with Michael from @Krix Loudspeakers for a full factory tour and demo of the MX20 HT setup along with other speakers.

I cannot recommend it enough! You need to audition your options before you buy and that goes for any speaker.

I believe they are upgrading there HT room to the MX30!

I will once again fly back to Adelaide or across to Perth to visit West Coast Hifi to demo the MX30 before i make my final choice.

While i too have considered US brands like Triad and Pro Audio Technology but I struggle to see the "bang for you buck" that Krix MX series offers.

Ps. How that lawn going Michael @Krix Loudspeakers

Edited by Paul72

Hi i was in the same situation few years ago so i narrowed down to  krix/m&k both are excellent  demoed the krix at selbys in hallam victoria but to be honest i wasnt impressed at all room was open so i dont think it did them justice but heard m&k at tivoli in hawthorn running with a cheap denon av receiver straight away i was impressed with the detail and clarity at the end i went with the m&k 150 mk2 reasons being i run a processor  it was obvious that they are going to sound even better then the denon av receiver and i like the idea that they are a small speaker although not the best looking and i even rang qualfi spoke to the manager and he said you chose to good brands also looked at heaps of reviews from what i hear the triad are excellent speakers..

Regards Lino..  

3 hours ago, Turbo68 said:

Hi i was in the same situation few years ago so i narrowed down to  krix/m&k both are excellent  demoed the krix at selbys in hallam victoria but to be honest i wasnt impressed at all room was open so i dont think it did them justice but heard m&k at tivoli in hawthorn running with a cheap denon av receiver straight away i was impressed with the detail and clarity at the end i went with the m&k 150 mk2 reasons being i run a processor  it was obvious that they are going to sound even better then the denon av receiver and i like the idea that they are a small speaker although not the best looking and i even rang qualfi spoke to the manager and he said you chose to good brands also looked at heaps of reviews from what i hear the triad are excellent speakers..

Regards Lino..  

Hi Lino, sorry to hear this - it is a huge open space and I believe they have recently submitted plans to partition off the area so they can get the system sounding how it should. With the right amplification and EQ, an MX-30 has the capability to hit reference (while still sounding crystal clear) in a closed-off 14m deep room. The MX-20 demo room in the new Thornbury store is apparently very impressive, I'm yet to get there to hear it myself! Thanks for your thoughts and most importantly great to hear you are enjoying your home cinema.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Krix setup for home theater use and im very happy with them . I cant see myself upgrading in the near future if ever. I was tossing up between B&W and Krix and went with Krix because they sounded more neutral/natural  sounding to me yet still have the slam and big sound that you want with a HT. They are also very non fatiguing which is a big tick for me.

37 minutes ago, Kezzbot said:

I have a Krix setup for home theater use and im very happy with them . I cant see myself upgrading in the near future if ever. I was tossing up between B&W and Krix and went with Krix because they sounded more neutral/natural  sounding to me yet still have the slam and big sound that you want with a HT. They are also very non fatiguing which is a big tick for me.

I'm definitely leaning towards krix speakers. When I get the chance or when I get closer to actually building the home theater I'm going to krix themselves to have a test. 

Can I ask what krix speakers you chose and the size of your room? 

I am currently between rooms as i have recently moved house. 

Old room was quite small 4m x 4m. New room will be 5m x 6m but is not built yet.

I first had a pair of second hand Lyrix which i loved and lent me towards getting the full krix setup.

Mains: Harmonix

Center: Vortex

Suround: Equinox