Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Alpine Electrocats

Record Fairs

Recommended Posts

I thought I should start a new topic as my pc cant find this as a topic, although I was sure it was somewhere. Anyway, a place to post upcoming fair info and broader discussion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First up though...a bit of a grumble...

I have participated in quite a few fairs over the years, some have been really good (financially) and some pretty poor (financially)

It strikes me that the main winner is often the organiser who gets everybody's table rents and sometimes the entry charge. Because sometimes all they do is provide tables and a facebook post. 

I have used the google test for various events I have been involved in- not just record fairs. If you do a search for the specific fair what does it turn up?A couple I have done recently have not appeared to have any online presence aside from some facebook posts with a few likes.

Its not long ago that whenever there was fair in Canberra the organiser would have signs up all over town. That seems a longtime ago

I organise various other public events and over the years have always sent out press releases and info to the listings in the local press, and now the various whats on listings online - and it certainly builds interest and awareness Even sending a press release to local radio can yield results.

Of course lots of promoters and sellers have contact lists , but they have to use them, and I know for one fair that a lot of people stumbled upon it and said- I am on the contact list but I didn't hear about it.

Sure I could do the publicity, but I would be the only person paying and everyone else would reap the benefit. Its the orgainiser's job

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are NO money in record Fairs, for the organisers.

Ask Marc.

You do it for the love, or because you have a vested interest in some other way - that's it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, as all my vendors know at the Hi-Fi Show, I run the Record Fair at a substantial loss (as Jon alludes to above).
But I do see it as great value to our show.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

First up though...a bit of a grumble...

I have participated in quite a few fairs over the years, some have been really good (financially) and some pretty poor (financially)

It strikes me that the main winner is often the organiser who gets everybody's table rents and sometimes the entry charge. Because sometimes all they do is provide tables and a facebook post. 

I have used the google test for various events I have been involved in- not just record fairs. If you do a search for the specific fair what does it turn up?A couple I have done recently have not appeared to have any online presence aside from some facebook posts with a few likes.

Its not long ago that whenever there was fair in Canberra the organiser would have signs up all over town. That seems a longtime ago

I organise various other public events and over the years have always sent out press releases and info to the listings in the local press, and now the various whats on listings online - and it certainly builds interest and awareness Even sending a press release to local radio can yield results.

Of course lots of promoters and sellers have contact lists , but they have to use them, and I know for one fair that a lot of people stumbled upon it and said- I am on the contact list but I didn't hear about it.

Sure I could do the publicity, but I would be the only person paying and everyone else would reap the benefit. Its the orgainiser's job

I have been attending Record Fairs in the UK and Australia for over forty years and regularly selling at them for over twenty years. I also ran three Fairs about ten years ago.

The problem with putting "signs up all over town" is that the local Council contact the venue and then the organizer or the venue get threatened with fines.

I have also been one of the organizers of an annual motor bike Rally for over twenty years and although there was a time when sending press releases to the print press was vital, we are now in a digital age and the only publicity we now do is on our own website, this is then picked up by dozens of other sites and Facebook pages.

 

The UK has Record Fairs for the month ,listed in the Record Collector magazine and I have always found this useful when I make a trip back there and it does appear that there is not a comprehensive equivalent in Australia apart from perhaps, Mat's site.  https://thevinyljunkie.com.au/event-directory/

This appears to be a missed opportunity to promote record collecting.

 

Record Fairs are, by the main, commercial activities for the organizers and sellers  so I think it is really up to @Marc to say if he believes it is appropriate to post details of Record Fairs on this site and what form the posting should take.  

Edited by EV Cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Marc said:

Actually, as all my vendors know at the Hi-Fi Show, I run the Record Fair at a substantial loss (as Jon alludes to above).
But I do see it as great value to our show.

Good old fashioned loss leader - I think they would add lots of value to the overall show. A point of distinction between the Sydney (which didn't have fair) and Melbourne.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

 

First up though...a bit of a grumble...

I have participated in quite a few fairs over the years, some have been really good (financially) and some pretty poor (financially)

 

 

4 hours ago, candyflip said:

There are NO money in record Fairs, for the organisers.

Ask Marc.

You do it for the love, or because you have a vested interest in some other way - that's it.

Confusing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When all the work and investment is calculated, there's no money in it for the traders either. It's a hobby.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


I book a table three or four times a year at various record fairs to recycle my collection and clear out the ones I no longer listen to. It also allows me to be more cavalier when trying out a new release in the knowledge that if I don't like it I can always punt it on to someone else. Sure, I may only get $20 back for an album I paid $35 for a few weeks earlier, but it's preferable to having shelves full of records sitting there which may never get played again, until one day some dodgy dealer comes round and offers you the equivalent of $1.50 per album to "take them off your hands". And of course with the takings you can reinvest in yet more vinyl! 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, PKay said:

Good old fashioned loss leader - I think they would add lots of value to the overall show. A point of distinction between the Sydney (which didn't have fair) and Melbourne.

Exactly. And we'll do it again this year, and every year I can continue getting vendors to show up (three full days is a big ask though).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

603743166_IpswitchRECORDFAIR.jpg.cec79577f4ec5b3e1cf0d4659152a2dc.jpgf

 

 

If you live in the Ipswich area and dig your VINYL  .. Next Sunday 28 - April North Ipswich Bowls Club. 

Starts at 9am... Get a beer from 10....
Entry Gold Coin Donation.

 

I will be spinning some vinyl to keep the crowd entertained and may even play some AC / DC. 

Edited by EV Cali

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EV Cali said:

603743166_IpswitchRECORDFAIR.jpg.cec79577f4ec5b3e1cf0d4659152a2dc.jpgf

 

 

If you live in the Ipswich area and dig your VINYL  .. Next Sunday 28 - April North Ipswich Bowls Club. 

Starts at 9am... Get a beer from 10....
Entry Gold Coin Donation.

 

I will be spinning some vinyl to keep the crowd entertained and may even play some AC / DC. 

A gold coin donation for a venue with records for sale, Angus on his SG and Mr Scott screaming out obscenities,.- how could you even think about missing that. I'm in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


5 minutes ago, Pegasus said:

It was crap!

Really if you can't think of anything more constructive to say, when people have put in some effort to promote records and music in general perhaps it would be better if you kept your opinions to your self.

I spun records for for five hours, the event was well attended and I appreciated the effort of the stall holder bringing their records.

Every one who spoke to me thoroughly enjoyed the event.

 

Pity some ones head is in front of me and only my speakers can be seen!

Image may contain: 2 people, people sitting

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CRAP!!!!!!!.  That's a big comment to make with not much explanation. I attended the fair and throughly enjoyed it.

It was well attended and everyone I spoke to asked when it was happening again. Prices were reasonable and plenty to choose from. I'll be there again. We must remember it's a small fair not Glebe  etc.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Glebe, did anyone attend on the 27th? And how was it? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


For those who are in NSW and may be interested, I was given these 2 flyers by one of the event organisers.  I am not affiliated though.  

 

I prefer these which doesn’t charge entrance fee, LOL. 

 

 

D30F3140-1D6A-4841-AA83-437A910480A4.jpeg

158F76C6-D608-4730-AD7B-CEE9C77D004A.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have been attending Record Fairs in the UK and Australia for over forty years and regularly selling at them for over twenty years. I also ran three Fairs about ten years ago.
The problem with putting "signs up all over town" is that the local Council contact the venue and then the organizer or the venue get threatened with fines.
I have also been one of the organizers of an annual motor bike Rally for over twenty years and although there was a time when sending press releases to the print press was vital, we are now in a digital age and the only publicity we now do is on our own website, this is then picked up by dozens of other sites and Facebook pages.
 
The UK has Record Fairs for the month ,listed in the Record Collector magazine and I have always found this useful when I make a trip back there and it does appear that there is not a comprehensive equivalent in Australia apart from perhaps, Mat's site.  https://thevinyljunkie.com.au/event-directory/
This appears to be a missed opportunity to promote record collecting.
 
Record Fairs are, by the main, commercial activities for the organizers and sellers  so I think it is really up to [mention=103433]Marc[/mention] to say if he believes it is appropriate to post details of Record Fairs on this site and what form the posting should take.  


That’s a good point about the website. Some fairs here put out the advertising so late that they wouldn’t make it onto a website, they certainly don’t put much out on the web
You can use signs if you do it judiciously it seems to me- I’ve seen that
Another obvious outlet is gig guides- there is an overlap between those buying records and those going to gigs.
Customer data bases are great too- but they have to be used- it’s disappointing when you do a fair with poor attendance and then meet people who tell you they are on the mailing/message list but we’re not notified

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For those who think its hard to advertise a record fair...I picked this up at a cafe in Kensington Vic (its a record bar too) . Oh, and its called a flyer in case you have never seen one :)

IMG_0724.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

For those who think its hard to advertise a record fair...I picked this up at a cafe in Kensington Vic (its a record bar too) . Oh, and its called a flyer in case you have never seen one :)

 

I don't understand your point.

Who says it's hard advertising record fairs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/05/2019 at 10:39 AM, candyflip said:

I don't understand your point.

Who says it's hard advertising record fairs?

Some of the respondents above were suggesting that its inordinately difficult to promote a record fair

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alpine Electrocats said:

Some of the respondents above were suggesting that its inordinately difficult to promote a record fair

Nope - they're saying it's hard to make a dollar once you take in the costs and the return.

 

Advertising has never been easier, print or digital, old way or new.

Never been cheaper to do it either.

 

Just an awful lot of competition around.

And making an ongoing buck remains the basic challenge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome To Thornbury Record Fair

 

520 High St Thornbury, tram 86 from bourke St Melbourne

Sun 26 May

12 - 5pm

 

https://www.facebook.com/events/419513315477167/

< Melbourne Record Club - supported by Pro-Ject Audio Australia & New Zealand, Vinyl Me, Please, and Welcome To Thornbury - present the North-Side debut of the Melbourne Vinyl Festival.

Alongside all of your favourite independent Vinyl sellers (at least 25 of them!!) you will also find :
> Listening stations powered by Pro-Ject Audio Systems, so that you can try before AND after you buy

> Free record cleaning, also brought to you by Pro-Ject Audio with the Pro-Ject Audio Systems VC-S Cleaner >

 

Multi Sonics will be there

https://www.facebook.com/multisonics/

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

>"Favourite independent sellers"

 

Does tend to blur the distinction between 'fair' and 'pop up shop'.  Personally I enjoy the 'fan disposing of collection' events a little more, as random and quirky.

Edited by ThirdDrawerDown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rozelle Markets in Sydney are having a record fair on Sunday June 2nd. I've heard a few good reports after previous events. Will probably give it a go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...