Sign in to follow this  
cafe67

Review - Falcon speakers RAM Studio 30 speakers

Posted (edited)

Well, curiosity got the better and after many email by the patient and informative Andy   @Audiofix , I ordered a pair in Walnut. Kudos here to Andy for being forthright and honest regarding my questions on my room size and partnering electronics. No hard sell or B/S. 

So what’s in the box

Speakers duly arrived with limited fuss from TNT express.  Reasonably thick  cardboard boxes with the speakers sealed in a fairly heavy duty plastic bags then mounted inside thick foam corners. The steel plate plinths with their amazingly machined spikes  came in their own box and were  also suitably well packed. At 35kg each, plus extra for the plinths an okay 2 person lift around, unlike my Dynaudio Confidence 5 at 55kg each. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by cafe67

Fantastic news, good on you for taking the plunge. No doubt there'll be a few people following this thread.

Posted (edited)

Assembly and setup. 

Not really much in the way of assembly, cut open the bags at the bottom and flip the speakers onto their tops , unscrew the supplied bolts (after finding right sized Allen key) position and bolt the plinths on and then stand up right then slide of plastic bags over speakers. The speakers themselves look quite elegant in a minimal way. The front, top, back and bottom are covered with man made "leather" - which seems to have the feel of leather sadly without the smell of leather. The sides are in laid with real Walnut, tho there are choices of gloss black or burred walnut. The thin framed grills are held on with magnets. 

Positioning - I first of all plonked them down roughly where the dyn's went and worked. Which worked fine for initial listening. Later on I played with the positioning , moved them about a meter either side of the rack , out from the rear wall by 50cm and then swung them in 10cm. This seems to give a good listening position where sitting you can't see the side of the speakers. At the moment I have the tweeters to the outside, but might later experiment with that. They sound  good in this position , but personally I think I have moved them too far out each side and from the rear wall. More experimenting positioning to be done there. With the downwards firing port, they don't seem as affected by room boundaries are a rear or front ported design might be. Ever patient Sharon " what have you bought now?" Helped with positioning and seem impressed with their appearance. WAF?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by cafe67

Posted (edited)

So how do they sound aka initial impressions. 

Other gear - Marantz sa10 and pm10. Speaker and xlr Nordstrom Frey.

The million or in this case the 6500 dollar question. Well in short pretty darn good. But then again so they should for that money, so I need qualify that statement. 

One thing that concerned me buying speakers sight unheard was the bass. My listening room is odd sized at 4m x 4m and open half way to a 1/3 wall. Ported designs haven't played nicely with this room and the best speakers to work with the room have been sealed box - act scm40mk1 or my current Dynaudio Confidence 5. 

So so bass is there, it seems to go low, but not boomy or one note. The mid range and treble do seem especially good. The detail is there and so is a warmth to the sounds. Not what I would call overly warm or lush sound, but certainly not a brittle sound.  Vocals both male and female seem to be well served by these speakers. 

As as I type this, I'm listening to "the DALI" cd no.4 , track - James Blood Ulmer Live experience - crying. Which seems to be a big slab of blues, the guitar work is coming across nice n clear in the mix as is the fairly solid drumming, but coming across very nicely is  the singers vocals. I've only just bought this cd on a whim from a shop that sells Dali speakers, but weren't really sure what to make of the cd , hence they sold it to me for $10. 

Ive previously played Tracy Chapmans debut album, yeah it's old , but it still a fav album to check when ever I've bought some gear. All good there, her voice sound natural as ever and the slightly bassy production still sounds good - be it the "faster" track  of "mountain o things"  to the slower track of "if not now".

sacd of Japan's Gentlemen take Polaroids likewise sounds clear and detailed, especially tracks like "swing" and "ain't that peculiar" where the bass of Mick Karn gets funky with the drumming of Steve Jansen. 

https://youtu.be/nkimBwFa02c

More listening needed as its as its early days with these speakers , but likewise I'm impressed by their sound. The bass is good, but I think a bit more work with room positioning will improve that even more. The mids and high are definitely good, clear and detailed. But I'll have to play some more familiar music to see how they compare the dyn's. 

Stay tuned 

image.jpeg

Edited by cafe67

Nice review :)

I have a feeling that when you try them with the tweeters on the inside they might image better, but I could be wrong.

They do look nice.

27 minutes ago, Muon N' said:

Nice review :)

I have a feeling that when you try them with the tweeters on the inside they might image better, but I could be wrong.

They do look nice.

I believe this should do the trick as I have heard improvement on imaging with tweeters inside on my old pair of speakers.

Great review.. love the walnut veneer and machined plinths.

Posted (edited)

One thing I’m finding with these speakers , they sound very good/natural with voices be it female Beth Gibbons  - songs of sorrow or male - Tim Bowness (no-man) -schoolyards Ghosts. 

As  suggested I swapped the speakers  over so the tweeters are now in the inside and also moved them closer together and back to the wall ( a bit) 

the bass improved and as mentioned earlier , the speakers sound very natural. There is a warmth to them, but I don’t think they over smooth the sound.

this track in particular shows the studio 30 skills, David sylvians voice sounds as detailed as do the backing vocalists and the speakers have no problems following the oddish percussion/ drums lines. 

03417B2D-0614-41AF-9931-C109373CFEFE.jpeg

Edited by cafe67

Posted (edited)

Today, I checked to see if they could rock which they and could and fairly loud. Again the bass held its hold never getting overblown or boomy. Guitars were suitably jangly and details. Distortion is always to write up, but it never got too bright or unpleasant. 

The drumming on sweet pain came through really well, along with Ali-khans vocals and Micheal brooks guitar work. Make this a good reference song. 

Edited by cafe67

3 hours ago, RiCamb said:

Really superb speakers.

IMG_20190812_211353.jpg

Nice , did you get the all black ones?