Sign in to follow this  
Danhifi

Node 2i - AirPlay vs BluOS - Quality Difference?

Posted (edited)

Hi folks,

Could anyone tell me pls. Is there a difference between:

1) playing a song on my Node 2i using the BluOS app on my IPhone using the Tidal service, and

2) opening the Tidal app on the same IPhone and playing the song using AirPlay to select my Node 2i as the player. 

Does anyone definitevely know the answer? I’m wondering whether

- in scenario 1. - the Node plays the song from the Network internet connection, and perhaps

- in scenario 2, the phone uses its internet connection to receive the song and then streams it to the node. 

In any event, say it’s a Master or HIFI quality song on Tidal, is there any difference in quality between 1 and 2?

Many thanks for your help.

Edited by Danhifi
Add notifications for replies

The only difference might be is that I think that over AirPlay, files get compressed, but I could be wrong. 

Using the BluOS App especially if your music is on a HDD/SSD connected to the node is ultimately the best scenario possible. 

Why not try it?  Both scenarios are using the same equipment, so you can change any time.

1 hour ago, Snoopy8 said:

Why not try it?  Both scenarios are using the same equipment, so you can change any time.

Thanks - have tried both. 

It’s a new system and the Blue Node is the only input source I have so not easy to tell what the ‘right’ sound it. 

The two methods sound different to my ears but I was hoping someone would know whether with AirPlay the phone is the source and whether that adds a layer of compression/compromise. Thanks. 

My suggestion then is to keep things as simple as possible i.e. use  BlueOS  (which I like).  Airplay is CD quality (16/44.1) but by using it, you are adding one more layer of complexity.

1 hour ago, Danhifi said:

Thanks - have tried both. 

It’s a new system and the Blue Node is the only input source I have so not easy to tell what the ‘right’ sound it. 

The two methods sound different to my ears but I was hoping someone would know whether with AirPlay the phone is the source and whether that adds a layer of compression/compromise. Thanks. 

Yes the phone is the source, the only reason I'd choose airplay over using the node as the source would be if the content you want to listen to is only on your phone and not accessible from the node direct, for everything use the node for what it's made for. 

USB drive into the node, that will always sound better, forget airplay, and enjoy. 

I do not have the blue sound player, but another thing that can be an issue is that tidal via your phone will usually have a gap between songs, where it pauses for half a second or so. Some inbuilt tidal players don't have the gap. If you are listening to most modern song bases music, it probably doesn't matter to you, though if your music continues from one track to the next without a break, it can be annoying. 

I would vote for the blue sound method, on the grounds that you can get the MQA tracks from tidal to the node to be decoded, whereas I do not think airplay limits this. As to whether you can hear the difference, I will leave that up to your ears.

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Danhifi said:

Hi folks,

Could anyone tell me pls. Is there a difference between:

1) playing a song on my Node 2i using the BluOS app on my IPhone using the Tidal service, and

2) opening the Tidal app on the same IPhone and playing the song using AirPlay to select my Node 2i as the player. 

Does anyone definitevely know the answer? I’m wondering whether

- in scenario 1. - the Node plays the song from the Network internet connection, and perhaps

- in scenario 2, the phone uses its internet connection to receive the song and then streams it to the node. 

In any event, say it’s a Master or HIFI quality song on Tidal, is there any difference in quality between 1 and 2?

Many thanks for your help.

Just a quick point here, some companies just can fall foul of "pirating" if it's done well enough.

Of quality, that too may be more version mix if there is any difference and the copy is legal or pirated.

Too again, if the apps are actually different software sets as players, bit rates may be different for either the softwares or the output hardware decoder device as assigned by either software players.

Edited by theoldnic