Gryphon VS Luxman

PMC are a great match for musical fidelity... I cant say for the pb1 but I spent a bit of time listening to OB1 wiht a few amps and a musical fidelity 250w pre pwr worked a treat with them. have no qualms one of the nu-vistas wouldnt work similarly whether the 600 or 800 :) they are gorgeous amps very refined.... and plenty of power to boot....

no idea on the luxman... if can find a retailer happy to lend out ... that might be best option :)

• Like 1

Forget about the Luxman, not enough juice for PB1's. What is it that you don't like about the Gryphon?

I've heard the M/F Nu Visitor model 10 years ago at CAV. Worked incredibly well with the the PB1'S.

Also consider these 3 Leema Tucana Anniversary, Naim DR 300 or Bryston 4b3 cubed(power amps).

All 3 will have enough power and finesse that the PB1's require.

Even an old ME or those Holton amps should be just fine. I've heard these on a number of occasions, at CAV with all different types of amps, it was always the high current models that shone through.

BTW. The PB1's are my favourite  all time not insanely priced speakers.

l

3 hours ago, jg@speedofsound said:

I’m considering replacing my Gryphon Atilla with the Luxman L509x or one of the New MF Nu Vista Amps.

Any thoughts/Opinions?

Knowing what their design criteria is for poweramps amp circuitry and the associated power supply , I would go the Gryphon anytime, over all the others mentioned here so far.

Cheers George

• Like 6

Forget about the Luxman, not enough juice for PB1's. What is it that you don't like about the Gryphon?
I've heard the M/F Nu Visitor model 10 years ago at CAV. Worked incredibly well with the the PB1'S.
Also consider these 3 :  Leema Tucana Anniversary, Naim DR 300 or Bryston 4b3 cubed(power amps).
All 3 will have enough power and finesse that the PB1's require.
Even an old ME or those Holton amps should be just fine. I've heard these on a number of occasions, at CAV with all different types of amps, it was always the high current models that shone through.

BTW. The PB1's are my favourite  all time not insanely priced speakers.

l

Thanks Maximus,

I think that’s my issue, the PB1’s need more than the 100watts I get from the Gryphon, however it does sound amazing.

I’ve heard the Luxman bench tested at over 150 watts into 8 so thought that may be enough.

I’d love the Bryston but, like a lot of people these days, I’m after less boxes not more!

Knowing what their design criteria is for poweramps amp circuitry and the associated power supply , I would go the Gryphon anytime, over all the others mentioned here so far.

Cheers George

Yeah, I spose that may be the case.
I even listened to the new Diablo the other day but was quite put off by the salesperson!

I think it’d be a moot point updating it anyway.

That is a commitment!

I’ve had the Luxman l509x for almost 2 weeks now, approx 160 hours of running in time.

This amp is extremely powerful and remains in control at all volume levels! Currently running B&W CM10s2.

Totally different to the Luxman 590 ax11 i had previously owned in terms of control and clarity.

I strongly recommend you audition this amp. In my opinion this amp excels in all departments.

Good luck

I’ve had the Luxman l509x for almost 2 weeks now, approx 160 hours of running in time.

This amp is extremely powerful and remains in control at all volume levels! Currently running B&W CM10s2.

Totally different to the Luxman 590 ax11 i had previously owned in terms of control and clarity.

I strongly recommend you audition this amp. In my opinion this amp excels in all departments.

Good luck

Thanks Audio7. I may try and get one from Audio Solutions in Sydney for an overnight.

2 hours ago, jg@speedofsound said:

I think that’s my issue, the PB1’s need more than the 100watts I get from the Gryphon, however it does sound amazing.

Get a bigger Gryphon then, they can't be equaled with anything mentioned here so far.

Cheers George

• Like 5

If you want a real integrated I may consider selling my Krell FBI. Pure Class A delivering at least 300 watts into 8, doubles down to 2 ohms and 1 ohm stable. Absolutely destroyed the Vitus Integrated I had before it. I demoed both to quite a few people and the Vitus sounded like a toy, and it is.

One of the last Krells designed by D'Agostino. I could rave on further about how good it is but I have to refrain. RRP was 27k.

Edited by kelossus
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jg@speedofsound said:

Kelossus, stunning, but zero WAF.
Has to live in the lounge room.
I can imagine the sound!!!!
( I have a chinook too, have you tube rolled? )

Completely understand.

Chinook? Yes I have swapped out the stock tubes for Siemens gold pins. It was an improvement but I haven't heard any other NOS/Exotic tubes in it to comment further.

• Like 1

On 01/04/2019 at 10:35 AM, jg@speedofsound said:

Hi George,

I have a feeling you’re right which is why I’m hesitant to do anything!

Got $21K Joe's got the Antileon Signature the biggest one for sale, with selectable Class-A amount. I think the far cheaper Diablo 300 or 120 would do you nicely though

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gryphon-Antileon-signature-power-amp-in-excellent-condition/264238395248?hash=item3d85d5ef70:g:izUAAOSwm51cidT0

Cheers George

Edited by georgehifi
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have heard lux (550, 509, 590) and grrphons (100w int, m100 monoblocks) in different systems (at dealer and home)... to my ears & system gryphons were well and truly ahead... but it always comes synergy... PM if you need more info.

• Like 1

I've been on the lookout for a new integrated for my PMC Twenty5 24s. Easier to drive that what you have I think. Based on recommendations and demos, these are the brands I shortlisted (in no particular order):

- Naim

- AVM

- Karan Acoustics

- Trigon

- Luxman

If going tubes: Octave or EAR

If you have the option locally, demo some of these before deciding. I'm based in India and pricing/availability here are relatively poor so some brands would be missing from the list. Havent heard Gryphon so cant comment on that, not a Musical Fidelity fan

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jai1611 said:

I've been on the lookout for a new integrated for my PMC Twenty5 24s. Easier to drive that what you have I think. Based on recommendations and demos, these are the brands I shortlisted (in no particular order):

- Naim

- AVM

- Karan Acoustics

- Trigon

- Luxman

If going tubes: Octave or EAR

If you have the option locally, demo some of these before deciding. I'm based in India and pricing/availability here are relatively poor so some brands would be missing from the list. Havent heard Gryphon so cant comment on that, not a Musical Fidelity fan

I like Karan from that list. I have heard Luxman and Naim but not the others.

3 hours ago, Steam said:

The Pass labs integrated range are very good imo and worth auditioning if you get the chance.

which Pass Lab integrated did you try? I auditioned the Int 150 and could hardly wait to return it - it just didn't work in my system at the time.

• Like 1