Advice on AV Receiver for $1k

Hey guys,

New to this forum but thought I would see if you guys can lend me some advice for my surround setup ;)

I'm looking for an AV receiver with about a $1k budget. I will be running Q Acoustic 1050i floorstanders, sub, surround bookshelves and centre. I'll be using it mainly for Movies and Gaming as I have my stereo setup for music. I don't need 7.1, 3d or a billion hdmi ports (3 or 4 would do me fine).

So far I've been looking at:

Marantz SR5004

Onkyo TX-SR608

Pioneer VSX-1019-K

Pioneer VSX-1020-K

Yamaha RX-V667

Yamaha RX-V765

Denon AVR-1911

With the Pioneer VSX-1019-K being the cheapest direct from Pioneer and the Yamaha 765 closely following it. I would love to get a Yamaha 1067/1065 but it's just out of my budget, depending on how much I can get it down to at JB from $1500.

Any advice would be much appreciated :P

Hey guys,

I would love to get a Yamaha 1067/1065 but it's just out of my budget, depending on how much I can get it down to at JB from $1500.

Any advice would be much appreciated :P

i just bought a runout 1065 from domayne for $980 last week

brand new in box... i know they had the display one left still

Guest Peter the Greek

You've not been particularly specific about price - is it $1k end of story?

I'd stretch it for seperates in that budget.....if not go real budget and get a cheap AVR for like $500

Considered the NAD models in that price bracket? not as flashy but better amps

You've not been particularly specific about price - is it $1k end of story?

I'd stretch it for seperates in that budget.....if not go real budget and get a cheap AVR for like $500

Considered the NAD models in that price bracket? not as flashy but better amps

Yeah max would be $1k. I can't seem to find any NADs in the online stores ive been looking at...

• 3 weeks later...

If you track down the whirlpool thread, people are getting the Yamaha 667 for $650-$700 from all over the place, it seems that it has bit of a mark-up..... Given that it is a nice system with preouts, you could possibly get it and a solid 2 channel amp. Use the 2 channel for your L/R Mains to take a bit of load off the AVR's internal amp and go crazy. Surrounds + even center don't need a huge amount of power truthfully, especially if you run with efficient speakers.

This was posted here about the NAD t747. Most interesting though is this post: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/16823-NAD-T747-Opinions-Plus-more...?p=255148&viewfull=1#post255148

I don't know a whole lot, but the best thing I could recommend. Try and take it home and plug it into your system. If you don't like it take it back?

Actually you never know but you may be able to get a Emotiva set-up for about $1k if they have "B" stock options for say the UMC-1 and either a UPA-5 or UPA-7. Not long ago I was able to buy the ERC-1 and USP-1 for only $700 plus postage and theres no way I can tell it's B stock other than it looked like the box may have been opened.

Mitcon if you don't mind, how much was the postage?

Hmmm, trying to remember I think it was about $160 US for both the ERC-1 (CDP) and the USP-1 (stereo pre) and I'd also bought some cables at the same time but I doubt that made any difference to the postage.

edit: just had a look and I paid $167 shipping for the ERC and USP and the amps I have bought I paid $200 normally but those were the larger XPA series units. But if your thinking of buying anything from them you would need to get a quote to be sure of what they would charge as it would depend on the actual items and what they weigh I would guess. I think their shipping charges are very good indeed considering the size and weight of gear and it normally only takes a week roughly to get here.

I think when I bought the UMC-1 surround pre/pro I paid about $100 shipping, the amps cost more of course but the ones I bought are like 40kg without the boxes lol.

Edited by Mitcon

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a Yamaha RX-V1065 from Steve at Eastwood Hi Fi for about $870.00 in a run out sale about 6 months ago. Good receiver!

Mind you the Denon, Onkyo and maybe the Pioneers would be OK too although for my money the Yammy was hard to beat for the price.

Edited by progladyte

From that list IMO the pick of the bunch in the 1k price range is either a Yamaha RX-V667 or Yamaha RX-V767.

The 767 can be purchased for under 1k with ipod dock included.

I'd go for one of these on that budget, particularly since both have full pre-outs so you can add power amps to upgrade further.