AJL999

SOLD: FS: Sonic Euphoria Passive Preamp / PLC

Item: Sonic Euphoria Passive Preamp / PLC
Price:  Reduced - $800 to $650
Item Condition:   Excellent - bulletproof
Reason for selling:   Bought Hugo 2 Dac / Pre
Payment Method: Pickup - Cash, Paypal, COD Only
Extra Info:       This is a very rare unit, specially imported
several years ago from the US.  It's a boutique, handmade PLC that's built like a tank and will never wear out.      As it's passive, it doesn't even plug in to the power, and its main parts are 2 switches, a high quality volume control, and 2 tapped, hand-wound transformers.    

Its primary benefit is that it's absolutely sonically invisible.       That said, its a beautifully made unit, and weights about 8kgs.  Why so heavy?  Because at its core are 2 hand-wound "passive transformers" which are tapped off at various places to provide the stepped volume control.       To find out more about how this actually works, I suggest you check out the review at Stereophile.com where they explain this, why it works so well, and give it a rave review.      Another benefit of its passive design is that basically there is nothing in it that can break or blow up - it should last forever.          It has 4 sets of RCA inputs, 2 sets of volume-controled RCA outputs, and a "Tape Out" RCA pair - unattenuated, I beleive.  It comes without a front name tag, as the guy who built these was out of them at the time.  It also comes with a brief manual.

Review: https://www.stereophile.com/solidpreamps/106sonic/index.html

It's been sitting in the cupboard for a year as I'm loathe to sell such a gem.    The only reason it's going is I bought a Chord Hugo 2 DAC with a built-in preamp, at 5 times the cost!    Time it went to a new homw and got some appreciation.  :)Pics are a mix of the unit itself, and some file pics.

Pictures:

106sonic.1.jpg

20140918_081329.jpg

20140918_081359.jpg

20140918_081405.jpg

20140918_081441.jpg

plc5.jpg

Posted (edited)

Are you  sure you want to swap digital attenuation  for analogue?

I made that mistake once.

Edited by Matyk
Spelling

39 minutes ago, Matyk said:

Are you  sure you want to swap digital attenuation  for analogue? 

I have multiple options.    Can also use my tube amp integrated with line out from the HUGO.