betty boop

Focal Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

On 15/07/2019 at 11:40 PM, Sonny.Pham said:

what you like about your Focal speakers?

How much more I enjoy them with a good pair of subs 😮

On 29/06/2019 at 7:01 AM, Stephenfabre said:

What speaker cable is everybody running 

I'm running Audio Quest Oval 9 Speakers,

do they make any difference, only when I turn up the volume for extended periods.

I want to try a Valve Amp with my system

does anyone have suggestions as to listen to

at the moment considering a VTL, but i'm not really sure.

TIA

40 minutes ago, stiben said:

Really? More details please. 

I suppose I shouldn't mention my Reference Monuments with the Elite crossover upgrade. All FOCAL drivers. Magnificent speakers. 

1 hour ago, Monster11 said:

Really? More details please. 

A pair of SVS SB13U with the crucial element of a miniDSP SHD preamp for integration (DSP, xover, delay and Dirac).

I can dial in the target curve I desire from 20Hz and up and switch between presets depending on the material being played.

The preset with the most added bass is used for movies. My curves are only slight deviations from the Harman Target and the bassiest one might add 4dB below 200Hz.

Adding the subs did not alter the character of the sound. As the Focals are high passed they do what they do well more effortlessly. I also had a corner loading issue with the bottom & front ported floorstanders which has vanished.

I mostly listen to rock and metal. An in-law was visiting recently who is a cello player so I put on some classical. Her comment was "it's so lifelike".

31 minutes ago, stiben said:

A pair of SVS SB13U with the crucial element of a miniDSP SHD preamp for integration (DSP, xover, delay and Dirac).

I can dial in the target curve I desire from 20Hz and up and switch between presets depending on the material being played.

The preset with the most added bass is used for movies. My curves are only slight deviations from the Harman Target and the bassiest one might add 4dB below 200Hz.

Adding the subs did not alter the character of the sound. As the Focals are high passed they do what they do well more effortlessly. I also had a corner loading issue with the bottom & front ported floorstanders which has vanished.

I mostly listen to rock and metal. An in-law was visiting recently who is a cello player so I put on some classical. Her comment was "it's so lifelike".

Ah ok.  I used to have 826v running from a Emotiva XPA-3, and never really found them lacking in bass for music. But I did have a LFE sub for movies. 

18 hours ago, stiben said:

I totally agree, for the music that I listen to, a sub will definitely enhance the bass of my Focal speakers. I guess a pair of subs like what you have will be even better.

16 hours ago, stiben said:

That sounds like a good approach. I've heard quite often about minidsp too. Quite tempted to get one. May I ask where you ordered it from? 

7 hours ago, Sonny.Pham said:

May I ask where you ordered it from? 

minidsp.com, shipped from HK and just shy of $2k landed.

Most mentions of miniDSP are regarding something like the 2x4 for multiple sub integration especially in HT. The SHD is relatively new and is an all-in-one streaming preamp for a system up to 2.2.

As I've said elsewhere some of the best $ I've spent on hifi. As a preamp its design suited me perfectly to fit between my sources and amplifier/subs. The fact that it sounds as good as it does is surprising. Several comments in other forums have given the same feedback.

If you have questions about your system, what you want and where to go you could start a thread in the "Beginners & Purchasing Advice" section to get a good spead of advice 

On 17/07/2019 at 5:27 PM, gpatt said:

I want to try a Valve Amp with my system

does anyone have suggestions as to listen to

at the moment considering a VTL, but i'm not really sure.

TIA

What system do you have? 

On 15/07/2019 at 11:40 PM, Sonny.Pham said:

Would like to hear from you what you like about your Focal speakers?

Well, first of all Focal sounds really good in comparison at the same price range. 

The second thing Focal pay extra attention to design. There speakers look very cool, different shapes and colors to choose from.  I have a feeling the new flax drivers primarily were developed because of the eye catching look.  

Image result for focal kanta

11 hours ago, Irek said:

What system do you have? 

Hi

Sopra No.2's

Linn Selekt dsm

Also have a hegel h360 which I'm not 100% sure of, so that's why the option of a valve amp

On 27/03/2019 at 9:30 AM, betty boop said:

I don't think we seem to have an owners thread for focal here ?

calling all focal owners or just lovers of focals ... to share the love of Focal...

I fell in love with focal....unexpectedly ....about 12 years ago...at a dealer gtg where just happened to hear the lovely focal utopia Divas... and as they say all else is history... before I knew it was demoing them at home and convincing the wife these were the speakers for life :D  I have to be honest I never ever prior to that have ever given them a 2nd thought, seen pictures thought a bit odd ball looking. but in person and in hearing they are something that had me ... what is it about focal ? its their vocals.... yes rhymes :D truly its the warmth of their vocals and their rendition... that is simply captivating for me ... then there is the delicacy of the top end (which if not partnered well with the room can be out of sorts) similarly the grip on the bottom end and fullness of it that can also be over done with not the right partnering and room and siting. 

anyways these are my beauties.. in the lovely focal utopia Divas...

imageproxy.php-7.jpeg

which soon spread to including a Focal centre speaker

imageproxy.php-6.jpeg

and then before you know it to a full focal 7.1.5 setup with focals all around including up in the ceiling :D 

and then even spread to the bedroom setup...

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

yep I got it bad... but its thats been the way for a few years so not a passing fancy...

hey I've even got some focal music ... sounds fantastic by the way

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Focal-The-Spirit-Of-Sound-Vol-5/release/479173

so any other lovers of focal out there ? come share the love some pics how you are using yours what you enjoy about them ? 

ps I have a very important tip for focal speakers especially those with the W cone mid range / woofer that my above two speakers have .... will share when get a chance .... 

That is one hell of a set up. Having head the BE's as a standalone I can only imagine how good your system sounds! Focal were my go to speaker when I went hunting for a new system. Unfortunately the dealer situation in regards to Focal speakers here in Melbourne is nothing short of pathetic. On the plus side I am more than happy with my Dynaudio's. 

On 17/07/2019 at 6:19 PM, daviddsailor said:

Magnificent speakers. 

To say the least...

2 hours ago, gpatt said:

Hi

Sopra No.2's

Linn Selekt dsm

Also have a hegel h360 which I'm not 100% sure of, so that's why the option of a valve amp

That is a very very good system and sopras are extremely honest.  The side effect is you can sometimes experience imperfections in some recordings as sopras were design for good or high quality only. You can try to use something like Primaluna to smooth the tweeter or get another set of speakers like aria or chorus for average or low quality recordings. 

At this level/price I would definitely try to audition at home for at lest 2 days before buying anything. It might cost few hundreds but can safe thousands.