Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Focal Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Picked up my Sopra 2 and centre a week ago. Been a long time Focal owner, with a number of car audio speakers, some 826v and center for 10 years, and some 706 IC rears which are now Aria surrounds. I even use some Shpear head phones on a daily basis. 

8 hours ago, Monster11 said:

Picked up my Sopra 2 and centre a week ago. Been a long time Focal owner, with a number of car audio speakers, some 826v and center for 10 years, and some 706 IC rears which are now Aria surrounds. I even use some Shpear head phones on a daily basis. 

congrats the supra and centre would be a nice combo ! sounds like you got the love for focal down pat too :) what's not to love !

though a head phone fan, I haven't checked out the focal head phones ... maybe one day :) 

On 13/04/2019 at 6:01 AM, betty boop said:

congrats the supra and centre would be a nice combo ! sounds like you got the love for focal down pat too :) what's not to love !

though a head phone fan, I haven't checked out the focal head phones ... maybe one day :) 

Oh yeah forgot to mention, I have some of the spirt one head phones too!

i really like the sphear, super compact with a good sound. 

1 hour ago, Monster11 said:

Did you see the pricing on this. I was reading 20,000 euros in a article somewhere.

That's correct.
Wonder what the RRP of the Storm Audio equivalent is.

I heard those Kantas have beryllium tweeter from Sopra + upgraded drivers form Aria. So generally speaking they are more reveling arias or better version of arias. 

Well folks ! 

as I have discovered ..... 

0I9A0673.jpg

in the thread below, focals can sure also go well with valves .... particularly with some careful matching could end up with something I havent experienced with these speakers and solid state amps :) so be sure to explore .... 

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

Well folks ! 

as I have discovered ..... 

0I9A0673.jpg

in the thread below, focals can sure also go well with valves .... particularly with some careful matching could end up with something I havent experienced with these speakers and solid state amps :) so be sure to explore .... 

Very cool looking amplifier. 

3 minutes ago, Irek said:

Very cool looking amplifier. 

thanks trek :) its a gorgeous thing 😍

Exposure 2010 vs Naim XS2 vs Musical Fidelity m5si

Thanks to Andrew from Audiofix and Harry from Audio Genesis I was able to compare directly those 3 amps at home with Focal Aria 936.

I was very impressed with the Exposure (RRP $2000), it is really great amp, had more than enough power to drive my speakers. It's sort of similar to Devialet.

The Naim (RRP$4200) didn't really sound better then Exposure, it was different. But I think those Arias were tuned with Naim amp in factory and it felt like the amp had a really good control over those speakers.

Overall Naim , Exposure and Rega are made for speed. The priority here is rhythm, timing. I think it's important in fast or classical music.

The Musical Fidelity m5si is in opposition to above amps. It's mellow with relaxing presentation. I would say it's similar to Consonance Valve Amplifier.

When it comes to power they are:

Exposure 75W,

Naim 70W,

MF 150W.

During the test I couldn't notice much of a difference, in blind test I would say probably the Exposure was slightly the most powerful.

In blind test I would probably say that Naim (70W) and MF (150W) have similar power.  

On 28/04/2019 at 1:55 PM, Irek said:

Exposure 2010 vs Naim XS2 vs Musical Fidelity m5si

Thanks to Andrew from Audiofix and Harry from Audio Genesis I was able to compare directly those 3 amps at home with Focal Aria 936.

I was very impressed with the Exposure (RRP $2000), it is really great amp, had more than enough power to drive my speakers. It's sort of similar to Devialet.

The Naim (RRP$4200) didn't really sound better then Exposure, it was different. But I think those Arias were tuned with Naim amp in factory and it felt like the amp had a really good control over those speakers.

Overall Naim , Exposure and Rega are made for speed. The priority here is rhythm, timing. I think it's important in fast or classical music.

The Musical Fidelity m5si is in opposition to above amps. It's mellow with relaxing presentation. I would say it's similar to Consonance Valve Amplifier.

When it comes to power they are:

Exposure 75W,

Naim 70W,

MF 150W.

During the test I couldn't notice much of a difference, in blind test I would say probably the Exposure was slightly the most powerful.

In blind test I would probably say that Naim (70W) and MF (150W) have similar power.  

Thanks for the comparisons Irek. I have been wanting to audition the m5si or m6si with my Aria 936 but nobody in brisbane stocks them.

Just found this post

focal fan right here, dad had jm labs growing up. 

My gear quite entry entry level compared to some here( 826v, cc800v, sw800v and dome) more hen enough for an apartment, try not to annoy the neighbours too much. Aim to improve the 2 channel performance - via spectate amp as current avr is good(definitely happy) i know it could sound better  

I love focals i have quite a few different types.

I have the 30th aniversy in my car

826w limited edition fronts

And 700 v series for the rest of my surround

And the kids both have a set of focal xs 2.1 that i got for 200 each

And previously owned 716 before the 826

When i first purchased focal i found them very bright and fatiqueing but after trying quite a few amps like

sony (way to bright no good at all)

naim nac202 nain nap100 (amazing detail but just to clinical.

Musical fidelity a5 (wow this thing had balls the bottom end was massive but again a little to bright for me)

which all seemed to fatiqueing on longer listening sessions which i do almost daily. i came accross marantz which seemed to chill out the highs yet still be detailed (enough). Untill i bought an electrocompaniant that really changed things. way more detail bottom end but still really warm. that died so then i bought an abrahamsen v2.0 up made by the founder of electrocompaniant.

More detail again. Beautiful sounding amp on all fronts.

Now i do have a qustion about matching speaker cable with focals.

What speaker cable is everybody running and is it a good idea to stay away from silver.

I also have the 826W fronts, speaker cable is Mogami W3103 which is often recommended on SNA

First reply in that thread has a purchase link, $82.35 for 6 metres delivered 👍

I also have the 826W fronts, speaker cable is Mogami W3103 which is often recommended on SNA

First reply in that thread has a purchase link, $82.35 for 6 metres delivered [emoji106]
Nice will check them out

Guest Music monster

I have a pair of focal utopia headphones and love them.would love to own there flagship speakers but out of my league in price.cheers gary the music monster 🎶

On 29/06/2019 at 7:01 AM, Stephenfabre said:

I love focals i have quite a few different types.

I have the 30th aniversy in my car

826w limited edition fronts

And 700 v series for the rest of my surround

And the kids both have a set of focal xs 2.1 that i got for 200 each

And previously owned 716 before the 826

When i first purchased focal i found them very bright and fatiqueing but after trying quite a few amps like

sony (way to bright no good at all)

naim nac202 nain nap100 (amazing detail but just to clinical.

Musical fidelity a5 (wow this thing had balls the bottom end was massive but again a little to bright for me)

which all seemed to fatiqueing on longer listening sessions which i do almost daily. i came accross marantz which seemed to chill out the highs yet still be detailed (enough). Untill i bought an electrocompaniant that really changed things. way more detail bottom end but still really warm. that died so then i bought an abrahamsen v2.0 up made by the founder of electrocompaniant.

More detail again. Beautiful sounding amp on all fronts.

Now i do have a qustion about matching speaker cable with focals.

What speaker cable is everybody running and is it a good idea to stay away from silver.

I am using Kimber Cables with Focal aria 936 + Exposure 3010. I chose those cables by accident. I am not really good at hearing the difference between cables. 

mine are VDH magnum hybrid use them on both mains and also stand mounts anda seem to work well :)

2 hours ago, Music monster said:

I have a pair of focal utopia headphones and love them.would love to own there flagship speakers but out of my league in price.cheers gary the music monster 🎶

love to check out the utopia phones one day :D ...will just have to make sure can afford them though first before trying.... 😛

It is interesting to know there is a thread for Focal owners. Hi to all.

Like some of you, I currently have a pair of the Chorus 826W floorstanders.

I first saw them on Stereophile - could not resist their charm. 

They have been serving me very well.

Would like to hear from you what you like about your Focal speakers?

On 15/07/2019 at 11:40 PM, Sonny.Pham said:

what you like about your Focal speakers?

How much more I enjoy them with a good pair of subs 😮

What speaker cable is everybody running 

I'm running Audio Quest Oval 9 Speakers,

do they make any difference, only when I turn up the volume for extended periods.