Focal Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

Guest alebonau

I think the showroom uses either Nordost or VDH cabling for the Plinius setups. Can give them a try or else can try Siltech since Plinius is internally wired with them (can home trial from Norman Audio). Shld be a good match.

Guest francis woo

yes, still using it, but i also have a plinius m8 with me now. :)

you still recommending me allnic??

i think m8 sounds gd in the showroom. happy with it if i can get that level of performance, but i think my cabling dun really match with it. sound abit bright to me. so must see if it can work 1st. cannot then change. :P think its just cos my focal abit more lean than dynaudios, though i can hear alot more details. btw you heard the 201? have u compared it with the 103?

Still considering the Allnic. 

Not in AB comparison.  The 103 is a beast and obviously dish out more power effortlessly, has more headroom and certainly very dynamic and refine.  Think one won't go wrong with this in one's set up.  However, my preference is still the P10 vis a vis the pricing and value............ :D

I think the showroom uses either Nordost or VDH cabling for the Plinius setups. Can give them a try or else can try Siltech since Plinius is internally wired with them (can home trial from Norman Audio). Shld be a good match.

thanks.. i think nick told me using VDH MC Gold XLR.

Did not know they are using Siltech internally.. expensive stuff.

Still considering the Allnic. 

Not in AB comparison.  The 103 is a beast and obviously dish out more power effortlessly, has more headroom and certainly very dynamic and refine.  Think one won't go wrong with this in one's set up.  However, my preference is still the P10 vis a vis the pricing and value............ :D

Of course P10 is the best value too, imo.

was just curious what you heard.. cos the SA-201 vs SA-103 price point is more similar. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I am looking for a pair of replacement focal tweeter TC120 TD5. Does anyone here know where I can get it and a rough price? The foam on my tweeter is starting to break apart.

Thanks!

Hi there, why not ask Asia Sound directly? I have an old pair of Profil floorstanders which had the same problem (foam around tweeter gave way) and they helped me service it a few years ago at the Jln Pemimpin office. Though they did not have the same tweeter as my unit was very old, they offered me one from their current series stock (Cobalt at the time) and I took that up. Got it done on the same day itself as I lugged down the speakers there and it fit perfectly. From memory, I think that costed me $200-300 I think.

Hi

To all bro here.

I am looking for a pair of new speaker to replace my Thiel CS2.4. I am looking into Focal Jmlab Diva Utopia BE.

Any comment on this pair of speaker? How is it compare to other speakers like Dynaudio (C1 or C2) and Thiel( CS2.4) ? Please help.

I am currently using

1) Plinius M8 pre

2) Plinius 102MK II power

3) Marantz SA-14 ver2 CD player.

4) Connected using Kimber Cable XL monocel and Audioquest Diamond XLR

5) System setup in  a 2.5m by 3.5m room.

Please help.

Thank you.

Hi

To all bro here.

I am looking for a pair of new speaker to replace my Thiel CS2.4. I am looking into Focal Jmlab Diva Utopia BE.

Any comment on this pair of speaker? How is it compare to other speakers like Dynaudio (C1 or C2) and Thiel( CS2.4) ? Please help.

I am currently using

1) Plinius M8 pre

2) Plinius 102MK II power

3) Marantz SA-14 ver2 CD player.

4) Connected using Kimber Cable XL monocel and Audioquest Diamond XLR

5) System setup in  a 2.5m by 3.5m room.

Please help.

Thank you.

Thought you had this exact same question in another thread, which I also replied. :)

System synergy aside, Diva Utopia has side firing woofers. Can your room take it? IMO, the Diva works more ideally when you have more clearance on the left/right walls. The 1027Be is a easier fit in a smaller room and performance is frankly quite close.

Hi Quest.

Thank you for your reply.

I have asked perviously about 1027BE, not the Diva Utopia BE. I have listened to the 1027BE. I would prefer something that fall into another range(don't mean that 1027BE is no good, it is fantastic pair of speaker in it range). To me it is almost the same as the CS2.4.

In this case, I will look into the Dyn C1 or C2, as the price for the Dyn C1 is almost the same as Diva to my knowledge. However, to my understanding that the Diva has reached it EOL.

Thank you

Hi DJQ

Yes, was looking into 802D. Fiest it was alittle over my budget. Then I look at 803D, after listen to it, still can't convice myself that it is the right one for me. So I limit the choice to Dynaudio C1/C2 and Focal BE and maybe other that I can find.

What do you think between Dynaudio C1/C2 and the Focal Be. Will you still chose the BE?

hmmz for the dynaudio i have only heard the bookshelf versions, so cant really tell you much. reason for my choice was maybe too much exposure by Quest on Focal. i tend to still look for that sound signature i missed. someone i know still eyeing BE for his Car audio.... ;)

Guest francis woo

Hi DJQ

Yes, was looking into 802D. Fiest it was alittle over my budget. Then I look at 803D, after listen to it, still can't convice myself that it is the right one for me. So I limit the choice to Dynaudio C1/C2 and Focal BE and maybe other that I can find.

What do you think between Dynaudio C1/C2 and the Focal Be. Will you still chose the BE?

If I were you, I wud have goten the C1, no doubt about it........ :D

Why do you need a floorstander in a small room!!!!....... :P

a floorstander will sound fuller. i am not sure how clitang feels on the 2 but i have 2 reasons. mainly a full fledged floorstander will have 3 drivers. tweeter, midrange, midbass. it just sounds "better" to me. another is with the high price tag of those high end bookshelfs, that same amount can be bought with a more decent mid range floorstander.

then again you might be right... so are you telling me to also go C1 and sell CS2.4 like clitang?  ::)

a floorstander will sound fuller. i am not sure how clitang feels on the 2 but i have 2 reasons. mainly a full fledged floorstander will have 3 drivers. tweeter, midrange, midbass. it just sounds "better" to me. another is with the high price tag of those high end bookshelfs, that same amount can be bought with a more decent mid range floorstander.

then again you might be right... so are you telling me to also go C1 and sell CS2.4 like clitang?  ::)

Of course he is! He's been telling me to get rid of my 1027Be the second he met me!! ;D

Hi

"Sell CS2.4 and get the C2 if you have enough room space and budget or get the C1 if you have limited space and budget"

The above comment is what I have received from most of the bro here.  So I guess there should have some reasons why most of the bro say that.

Ok, I will seriously look into the C1 or C2 again. On top of that, I still have to budget for a Confident Center Speaker to match with C1/C2.

I have a friend who is into car ICE. He has a full range of Focal Amp and BE speaker. Won a few ICE competition. Very impressive.

Thank you.

I have asked perviously about 1027BE, not the Diva Utopia BE. I have listened to the 1027BE. I would prefer something that fall into another range(don't mean that 1027BE is no good, it is fantastic pair of speaker in it range). To me it is almost the same as the CS2.4.

In this case, I will look into the Dyn C1 or C2, as the price for the Dyn C1 is almost the same as Diva to my knowledge. However, to my understanding that the Diva has reached it EOL.

Sorry, was trying to save u money, esp since now got used 1027Be at a good price on sale but guess you have your eyes set higher. :) Nothing against the Diva, but I personally don't feel Diva is a good fit for your room size - though I am not sure of the treatment or arrangement in your room specifically, but that is a risk that only you can decide if you want to take. I guess C1 is a good choice for you, especially since you can audition directly with plinius so you would know exactly the type of sound you are getting. I'm sure since talking awhile ago, you should have auditioned it? What are your comments on the sound and where do you find it lacking if any?

I think the 1028Be is around your budget but not sure how much better is it than the 1027 or diva. The new Utopias are very good but also at another price bracket.. so unfortunately can't really advise you. I also face a similar issue if I feel the upgrade itch as there is nothing for me to upgrade to (within reasonable limits) within the Focal line.. until i decide to cough up $38k for the utopia scalas (assuming i have a big enough room for it).

However, like all the talk in this thread, I still prefer floorstanders. DJQ said it sounds fuller but I personally feel it's more about scale. If you listen to orchestras at all, I think only floorstanders can give that sort of scale and separation level. So while I may have limitation of a small room too, I will still try to find one that is able to suit my room decently so I can at least enjoy the sort of music I like. Played with 2 bookshelves last year and sold off pretty promptly, so I learnt that lesson..

Hi

Agree, although I have a small room. It always good to have a pair of full range speakers. Besides it must sounds good, it has to be looks nice also. The best is to have the "WOW" factor.

Buying a pair of speaker is long time investment. Have to think very carefully.

Thank you