betty boop

Focal Speakers Owners & Discussion Thread

I don't think we seem to have an owners thread for focal here ?

calling all focal owners or just lovers of focals ... to share the love of Focal...

I fell in love with focal....unexpectedly ....about 12 years ago...at a dealer gtg where just happened to hear the lovely focal utopia Divas... and as they say all else is history... before I knew it was demoing them at home and convincing the wife these were the speakers for life :D  I have to be honest I never ever prior to that have ever given them a 2nd thought, seen pictures thought a bit odd ball looking. but in person and in hearing they are something that had me ... what is it about focal ? its their vocals.... yes rhymes :D truly its the warmth of their vocals and their rendition... that is simply captivating for me ... then there is the delicacy of the top end (which if not partnered well with the room can be out of sorts) similarly the grip on the bottom end and fullness of it that can also be over done with not the right partnering and room and siting. 

anyways these are my beauties.. in the lovely focal utopia Divas...

imageproxy.php-7.jpeg

which soon spread to including a Focal centre speaker

imageproxy.php-6.jpeg

and then before you know it to a full focal 7.1.5 setup with focals all around including up in the ceiling :D 

and then even spread to the bedroom setup...

IMG_0295.jpg

IMG_0298.jpg

yep I got it bad... but its thats been the way for a few years so not a passing fancy...

hey I've even got some focal music ... sounds fantastic by the way

https://www.discogs.com/Various-Focal-The-Spirit-Of-Sound-Vol-5/release/479173

so any other lovers of focal out there ? come share the love some pics how you are using yours what you enjoy about them ? 

ps I have a very important tip for focal speakers especially those with the W cone mid range / woofer that my above two speakers have .... will share when get a chance .... 

The timing of your thread is great, given 2019 celebrates 40 years of Focal. We've been working on a feature article which will go live this week celebrating the brand. Which, coincidentally, just officially announced a new Australian distributor this morning (Busisoft AV).

Probably 1 of the reasons @betty boop and I originally became friends was a love of Focal speakers. I have a full Focal HT set up and have had 826VW mains in my 2 ch system for a few years. I've just sold my car that had KR series Focal drivers throughout and Focal active sub under the drivers seat.

I have no inclination to upgrade my HT speakers unless it's for more Focal's. Love the detail and clarity

Currently listening to Aria 936 + Aria cc + Focal dome surrounds (5.0.2 system). Very happy with 936 and cc.  

9 hours ago, Irek said:

Currently listening to Aria 936 + Aria cc + Focal dome surrounds (5.0.2 system). Very happy with 936 and cc.  

very nice irek, sounds like a nice system there. the flax drivers certainly an interesting move from focal with the arias.

did you still have your 1008 standmounts ? a good match with the Mf m5si ? 

I've fallen back to my 20+ year old mf combo driving my 1007be :) still hankering for a valve integrated to drive them ... maybe one days when can afford it :D

1 hour ago, betty boop said:

very nice irek, sounds like a nice system there. the flax drivers certainly an interesting move from focal with the arias.

did you still have your 1008 standmounts ? a good match with the Mf m5si ? 

I've fallen back to my 20+ year old mf combo driving my 1007be :) still hankering for a valve integrated to drive them ... maybe one days when can afford it :D

Unfortunately I sold 1008 and regret that decision.  Well the m5si is mellow and electras are fast and very reveling , the combo sounded pretty good. I know what you mean by thinking about tube amp. If I have to keep electras as the only system I would also consider tubes or hybrid but I think having 2 systems is a better idea. Since you have very reveling one system than maybe aria 926 or 936 might be a better solution for second setup. Those arias have the ability to make any music sound good, even bad recordings are reasonably ok. 

7 minutes ago, Irek said:

Unfortunately I sold 1008 and regret that decision.  Well the m5si is mellow and electras are fast and very reveling , the combo sounded pretty good. I know what you mean by thinking about tube amp. If I have to keep electras as the only system I would also consider tubes or hybrid but I think having 2 systems is a better idea. Since you have very reveling one system than maybe aria 926 or 936 might be a better solution for second setup. Those arias have the ability to make any music sound good, even bad recordings are reasonably ok. 

oh that is unfortunate to hear irek. I rate the focal electra standmounts in the 1007be/1008be level pegging with b&W 805D series which are also an extraordinary speakers :) indeed musical fidelity seems a good match and interesting your thoughts on tubes

good you are enjoying the aria, and sounding good to you with music even not so good recordings. an important aspect of a system I think to be able to enjoy music you love...what is the point otherwise ! 

I should be more precise, Arias make the common music sounds good. Those high quality recordings and most classical music sounded better on electras. 

I must say that the biggest surprise for me in Focal family is Sopra no1. It doesn't look much on a paper but in reality they sound like a floorstandings. The first time a heard them I was 100% sure the subwoofer was on. I don't understand why Whathifi gave them 4 stars only, I would give them 6 stars.  

I have an aged pair of JM Lab (focal) profil 77s which make sweet music. I keep thinking I should upgrade them, but given financial constraints, I will keep enjoying them for the time being. 

Bought my first pair of speakers last week. And after some time of auditioning different speakers I went with the Aria 936. Love them. Looking to buy a primaluna to pair them with

9 hours ago, Irek said:

I should be more precise, Arias make the common music sounds good. Those high quality recordings and most classical music sounded better on electras. 

I must say that the biggest surprise for me in Focal family is Sopra no1. It doesn't look much on a paper but in reality they sound like a floorstandings. The first time a heard them I was 100% sure the subwoofer was on. I don't understand why Whathifi gave them 4 stars only, I would give them 6 stars.  

intersting irek the difference between arias and electras :)

I've heard the sopras a couple of times only though not in the most forgiving of conditions i must say. good to hear  you enjoyed them. past those the vocals now days seem to ascend up in price scale at a very fast rate ! 

7 hours ago, Juzbear said:

I have an aged pair of JM Lab (focal) profil 77s which make sweet music. I keep thinking I should upgrade them, but given financial constraints, I will keep enjoying them for the time being. 

JM labs is what formed focal ...speakers seem to last many many years so if still enjoying why not keep going :)

21 minutes ago, Thelastjedi said:

Bought my first pair of speakers last week. And after some time of auditioning different speakers I went with the Aria 936. Love them. Looking to buy a primaluna to pair them with

good stuff jedi ! congrats on the 936 ! 

which prima luna are you thinking ? id love to try one with my 1007be's :) particularly like to check out the dialog prem HP integrated :) they do cost quite a bit though ...

I have had many Foccal speakers throughout the years.
Great brand.
Here is the last photo of the utopia prior to leaving my house. It has served me many years and gave me enormous amount of joy. Hopefully it will give the new owner many years of enjoyments too.

I did add a new Focal to the rank. Serving my HT setup.
79765b1732a912fe944334623e1543cc.jpg367d20d3a9083b3e59a3b070f6383219.jpg

On 30/03/2019 at 6:52 PM, Thelastjedi said:

For me Aria 936 already sound pretty warm with Musical Fidelity. I guess you want them to be double warm. 

On 30/03/2019 at 6:15 PM, betty boop said:

which prima luna are you thinking ? id love to try one with my 1007be's :) particularly like to check out the dialog prem HP integrated :) they do cost quite a bit though ...

Was thinking of getting the dialogue pre but unsure about which power amp to go with atm. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

8 hours ago, Irek said:

For me Aria 936 already sound pretty warm with Musical Fidelity. I guess you want them to be double warm. 

Thats awesome. I was thinking a primaluna dialogue preamp, just unsure of the power amp I want to go with. Spoke to someone at stereophonic melbourne and was recommended to try the Emotiva XPA-2 or the Sugden Power Amp. Any recommendations would be appreciated. Cheers

7 hours ago, Thelastjedi said:

I think Arias were tuned in factory with Naim amps. I would try Naim, Exposure, Parasound, maybe Vincent or McIntosh MA 252. 

I am still running a Electra system with musical fidelity amps - nice clean sound! I won't be changing them in a hurry. I am very interested in any set up tips on how to get the best out of them!

On 02/04/2019 at 5:53 AM, Thelastjedi said:

Was thinking of getting the dialogue pre but unsure about which power amp to go with atm. Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Thanks guys.

Prima Luna power as well  ? 

5 hours ago, jaba01 said:

I am still running a Electra system with musical fidelity amps - nice clean sound! I won't be changing them in a hurry. I am very interested in any set up tips on how to get the best out of them!

Always been a great combo. First focals ive heard we’re powered off Electra tube pre Electra power :)

re setup tips. My utopia divas like no toe in. My 1007be Electra ...they like slight  toe in where converge behind you. Ie aimed foot off ears ... for positioning and room treatments I’ve found vocals own tops in user guide to be spot on ...

On 04/04/2019 at 10:42 AM, betty boop said:

Always been a great combo. First focals ive heard we’re powered off Electra tube pre Electra power :)

re setup tips. My utopia divas like no toe in. My 1007be Electra ...they like slight  toe in where converge behind you. Ie aimed foot off ears ... for positioning and room treatments I’ve found vocals own tops in user guide to be spot on ...

What were your thoughts on the Electra Pre/Power? I am unable to trial the electras because of location. Not sure if anyone stocks them in QLD? 

7 minutes ago, Thelastjedi said:

What were your thoughts on the Electra Pre/Power? I am unable to trial the electras because of location. Not sure if anyone stocks them in QLD? 

they are well designed good honest product. they have a smoothness that works well with focals, all my multichannel amplification is elektra and have owned some decades now. the pre is superb as is the 2ch power amp, id have the combo if didnt have the combination I have. and works well with focal :)

no idea on QLD but mcleans other side of border does sell,

http://www.mcleans.info/shop/productDetails.do?categoryId=1215&productId=242191

I sold the JM Lab Micron and Megane when they first came into the country.Impressive. My best value Focal series was the Cobalt, especially the bookshelves. Before I retired I also really liked the Aria series. Best Utopias for me were the Divas and the Mini's with the Tioxide tweeters.

Edited by Wimbo

On 04/04/2019 at 8:38 AM, jaba01 said:

I think you can try isoacoustics stands and primacoustics panels.