Sign in to follow this  
betty boop

Apple TV+ coming later this year...

On 02/11/2019 at 2:16 PM, Kaynin said:

Have they detailed what the * means?

hi kaynin :) yes sure they do. free means free for students as long as keep the student apple music plan... see below all requirements... very generous for students I would suggest ! 

*Limited-time offer, offer may end at any time. Free Apple TV+ access for students ends when you no longer qualify or do not renew your Apple Music student plan. Offer good for verified university students only and does not extend to a Family Sharing group. 

**Apple TV+ is not available in all areas on Samsung Smart TVs and Roku and Amazon Fire TV streaming devices. Please see the manufacturer’s website for more availability details.

The all-new Apple TV app is available on iOS 12.3 or later, Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD with tvOS 12.3 or later, Apple TV (3rd generation) with Apple TV Software Update 7.3 or later, macOS Catalina or later, and on eligible smart TVs and streaming devices. 

Some content requires specific hardware or software. Internet access required; data fees may apply. Content prices and availability are subject to change.

I hit accept and got the note below confirming,

"You’ve purchased the following subscription with a 1‑year free trial:    
Subscription        Apple TV+
Date of Purchase        02 November 2019
Introductory Offer        Free for 1 year
Subscription Price        $7.99/month starting 02 November 2020

No commitment. Your subscription continues for $7.99/month starting 02 November 2020 until cancelled. To avoid being charged, you must cancel at least one day before each renewal date.    
To learn more or cancel, review your subscription.    
Regards,
The Apple TV Team"

1 hour ago, Janjuc said:

Both seem to have high production values.

Yup, 1000 times better than most stuff made by Netflix. 

Interestingly the “Masters of the air” that we were all hoping for to follow band and brothers and the pacific ... has finally found a home at apple+ with them backing Spielberg to come through ... 

was disappointing hbo never followed through on this, but looks like Spielberg believes apple+ is a more rightful place

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2019/10/masters-of-the-air-appletv-spielberg-1202180767/amp/

watching “the pacific” at the moment as happens on blu-ray ... not sure how far gone masters of the air was with hbo but imagine it will be some years in making and release ... can’t come soon enough for me :D

7 hours ago, betty boop said:

Interestingly the “Masters of the air” that we were all hoping for to follow band and brothers and the pacific ... has finally found a home at apple+ with them backing Spielberg to come through ... 

was disappointing hbo never followed through on this, but looks like Spielberg believes apple+ is a more rightful place

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/www.indiewire.com/2019/10/masters-of-the-air-appletv-spielberg-1202180767/amp/

watching “the pacific” at the moment as happens on blu-ray ... not sure how far gone masters of the air was with hbo but imagine it will be some years in making and release ... can’t come soon enough for me :D

I recently watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific (and Generation Kill) and am keen on that Masters of the Air. The Pacific was just fantastic

I was also really waiting on that Hue 1968 series Michael Mann was doing - but that was FX so thanks to di$ney, probably kaput now.

I HATE it is appletv + though as it probalby means we'll never get an AV enthusiast level physical release of it

Edited by Mobe1969

8 minutes ago, Mobe1969 said:

I HATE it is appletv + though as it probalby means we'll never get an AV enthusiast level physical release of it

hmm you mean never on uhd ? for best bandwidth audio video ?  that would be a real shame and pity .....

ps it also does mean you have to keep your renewal up, ie cant just let it lapse, as unlike the disc cant just grab it any time to watch ! unfortunate part about streaming ! grrr ! 

49 minutes ago, betty boop said:

hmm you mean never on uhd ? for best bandwidth audio video ?  that would be a real shame and pity .....

ps it also does mean you have to keep your renewal up, ie cant just let it lapse, as unlike the disc cant just grab it any time to watch ! unfortunate part about streaming ! grrr ! 

I expect they would release it on itunes also, so you could buy it and then watch with just an apple account, not apple+ steaming account. Eg just in your library.  If I was going to see it on apple, and that was the only way I'd do that over a subscription.

I watch a LOT of movies and TV series. And 98% of it is on disc. I only watch streaming under duress... Other than that I do buy some TV series on itunes - ones I watch that don't get a blu ray release.

Edited by Mobe1969

Reports are that AppleTV+ shows have the highest bitrate on any streaming service so far, 30mbs - the picture and Dolby Atmos do look and sound good respectively. 

Wife an I have enjoyed See and Morning Show -   so if they get enough content and it stays this quality could be a good addition

We got 12 months free as I just upgraded my phone, and apple hard ware purchase gets 12 months free.

Disney + launches Nov 19 - that will be interesting 

Remembering that you can turn all these streaming services on and off on a monthly basis at no penalty so having several options is not as bad as it looks, will probably turn off Amazon and Stan and try Apple + and Disney + for a while.

I am getting less and less happy with the quality of Netflix originals so will see what happens in that space

Binge watched the first three episodes of The Morning Wars. Really nicely made but the characters are so inconsistent, especially Witherspoon, Aniston and Carrell (very unrealistic, I think Carrell is not really a dramatic actor). Billy Crudup and that Duplass guy pretty much own whatever scene they are in though so they were parts I really liked. 

I'm really missing not being able to binge watch The Morning Show. Episode 4 won't be available until November 8 (probably November 9 here) and episode 5 won't be available until November 15.

Got the 1 year free trial but all the good stuff you have to pay for.

Wow, The Morning Show is brilliant. 

anyone watch "For All Mankind" on appleTV+ ? 

https://www.theage.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/what-if-the-space-race-had-never-ended-apple-tv-has-a-theory-20191104-p537ak.html

I started to but then found switching off...not sure really captivated by it... it seems well made but something amiss...perhaps worth taking another peak as havent even got through one episode yet :D

On 06/11/2019 at 6:02 PM, Chill3 said:

We got 12 months free as I just upgraded my phone, and apple hard ware purchase gets 12 months free

Same here,  but only just realised last week :)  .    I'll try it out for the year then decide if I keep this or Amazon Prime.     Netflix is staying because my extended family depends on it....haha

I'm up to date with "Morning Wars".   good stuff.

A few episodes in to "See".       I wasn't keen on the premise at all but gave it a shot anyway and have been pleasantly surprised.  Worth a look for sure.  

On 06/11/2019 at 4:10 PM, Mobe1969 said:

I recently watched Band of Brothers and The Pacific (and Generation Kill) and am keen on that Masters of the Air. The Pacific was just fantastic

Band of Brothers and the Pacific are the BDs I bought to test out my shiny new TrueHD system many years ago, so I'm very keen for this.        No surround system these days unfortunately :(

On 08/11/2019 at 7:24 AM, Tony ray said:

Got the 1 year free trial but all the good stuff you have to pay for

I find the who AppleTV,  Apple TV+ thing very confusing.        It seems to be a combination of paid rental/purchase (which is just the old itunes  offerings I guess)  combined with this new netflix type subscription service (Apple TV+).

First time I fired it up I thought it was fantastic with loads of content,  but then realised AppleTV+ itself has bugger all.     No surpise they're giving it away because surely no-one is willing to pay for it yet??          

I might not be navigating correctly,  but ATV+  seems to have only these so far:

- morning wars

- for all mankind

- dickinson

- See

- the elephant queen

- helpsters

- ghost writer

- snoopy in space

50 minutes ago, manchu said:

Same here,  but only just realised last week :)  .    I'll try it out for the year then decide if I keep this or Amazon Prime.     Netflix is staying because my extended family depends on it....haha

I'm up to date with "Morning Wars".   good stuff.

A few episodes in to "See".       I wasn't keen on the premise at all but gave it a shot anyway and have been pleasantly surprised.  Worth a look for sure.  

Band of Brothers and the Pacific are the BDs I bought to test out my shiny new TrueHD system many years ago, so I'm very keen for this.        No surround system these days unfortunately :(

I find the who AppleTV,  Apple TV+ thing very confusing.        It seems to be a combination of paid rental/purchase (which is just the old itunes  offerings I guess)  combined with this new netflix type subscription service (Apple TV+).

First time I fired it up I thought it was fantastic with loads of content,  but then realised AppleTV+ itself has bugger all.     No surpise they're giving it away because surely no-one is willing to pay for it yet??          

I might not be navigating correctly,  but ATV+  seems to have only these so far:

- morning wars

- for all mankind

- dickinson

- See

- the elephant queen

- helpsters

- ghost writer

- snoopy in space

Yes, that's all I can find at the moment as well but they all started on the 1st of November.

Morning wars is great.

See is a bit out there but a lot of thought has gone into making it.

On 11/11/2019 at 11:11 PM, betty boop said:

anyone watch "For All Mankind" on appleTV+ ? 

https://www.theage.com.au/culture/tv-and-radio/what-if-the-space-race-had-never-ended-apple-tv-has-a-theory-20191104-p537ak.html

I started to but then found switching off...not sure really captivated by it... it seems well made but something amiss...perhaps worth taking another peak as havent even got through one episode yet :D

Do you know if Apple TV allow access to SBS on demand

I read that The Bureau was listed Which is on SBS on demand

1 minute ago, keyse1 said:

Do you know if Apple TV allow access to SBS on demand

I read that The Bureau was listed Which is on SBS on demand

Yes. I have SBS on demand app on my Apple TV and I can access content via their own app or via Apple TV+. Part of the idea of Apple TV+ is to be a 1 stop shop for all of your streaming subscriptions (although I believe Netflix refused)