a 12 year olds hifi setup 12/08/2018

Guest brunoaudio

Guest brunoaudio

Hi all this is my hifi story 

now the gear that most kids use now is a phone and a portable speaker or a cheap mini system but I don't. even the first audio product that I bought with my own money was a pair of mid range noise cancelling sony headphones for 30 dollars down from 150 dollars on a boxing day sale with my Christmas money around 4 years ago . In 2016 my papa got into vintage radios buying the odd lot or two off trade me and metting people along the way including joining the N.Z.V.R.S [that he published a acticle on how to remake dial covers.] and our local vintage radio club through one of his trademe buyings papa got a tiny we ecl82 stereo single ended radiogram chassis that papa kindly  tried to change to just a amp not knowing that it had blown output transformers he talked to Murray a audio serviceman who invited us to his house to debug it he told us that it had blown output transformers a few months go past Murray gives me a ex film ecl82 se amp with a dulci preamp that was my first hifi amp. mid 2016 Murray gives me a pye nz made push pull ecl82 amp to keep and fix that I use now we see Murray every week to this day  he's a very good friend of my and my papa. so what about now you ask, at the moment I am making a pair of push pull 6v6g based tl12.1 monoblocks  that I will be using a pair of vintage pioneer speakers in bass reflex cabs for the meantime I use a PYE stereophonic ecl82 push pull amp fun fact it is the first commercial New Zealand made stereo amp also a TRIO KT-5300 tuner and a PANASONIC SL-PJ325 cd player made in japan with a home made passive preamp and a pair of decent PHILIPS HIFI INTERNATIONAL speakers. 

Pics coming soon.

Thanks for reading or viewing,

Bruno Willmott-Dalton

welcome  ?

it's great to read you have a real stereo and not some fancy schmancy cellphone.

i don't know the cdp or speakers but it appears you have a pretty decent system.

the pye amps are sort after by valve fans, the trio tuner should be good  for FreeMusic.

some of the old farts would bemoan the lack of a turntable but now is a great time for buying used cd's (try to avoid aus or nz pressed ones) as the trendies go chasing vinyl.

:D

Guest brunoaudio

It took a wile to do the photos as I don't own a phone I had to use my camera and then play around in my pirated photoshop and then upload them to here.in the pics you will also see some other gear that include a SONY 250 real to real also as a dac I use a ALESIS MULITMIX8 that I have going into my computer to my amp its main use is for dj mixing and microphones I can also plug it via usb into my computer and can record from my mixer. also in the background is a ham reciver from the 1950's its a EDDYSTONE 840A it belongs to me dad but dosent realy have a place suitable to put it. also are my 5 dollar KOSS K-6LC headphones that I use with my mixer when I'm not using my main amp. some valves just for the photos including some cv ef37a's for my amp I am making and some 6v6gs and other radio related valves, some TDK C90 and C60 blank cassets and jap db/vu meters because WHY NOT. The green metal box is a 40 watt mono solid state thing that I made with my papa when I was 9 out of a premade KEMO kit amp.

Thanks for reading

Bruno

Edited by brunoaudio

Guest brunoaudio
3 hours ago, MiHan said:

Bruno, that a great collection of gear you have there!

I wish I had some of that stuff when I was 12, especially the Pye amp and Eddystone receiver.

Thank you mijoh for the kind comment 

Bruno

• 4 weeks later...
Guest brunoaudio

the Pye amp schamatic is almost identical to the Mullard 7-7 but with a extra ecc83 in its phono stage. In the 60s you could buy a kit set from Philips called the STREOPHONIC a ecl82 push pull amp electricly the same to my Pye but had NZ Beacon 10 watt beacon output transformers on it and had a philips branded Radiogram turntable in the top of also a red bakalight frount with very 60s white and gold sato knobs it i know that because me and my papa had one in our lounge as our so called Movie watching amplifer we sold that about 4 mounths ago now we are using a very simular NZ made amp with the same schamatic as the philips  made in Christcurch by TRU-FI it even has a sticker on the back of it that says the local hifi dealer in town from the 60s.

Bruno

Edited by brunoaudio

Guest brunoaudio

UPDATE:

New Speakers when i have finished a electronic coump here in NZ i will be starting to make my 6v6g push pull amps based off the Leak TL12  i will be using some buitifull Speakers that are FULL RANGE 16 OHM PIONEER PAX-20A in hand made mahogany bass reflex cabs.

Thanks for all the support,

Bruno