Video - Shooting & Editing

• Administrators

Is anyone here experienced with shooting and editing video.

Just this week I decided to give it a go, and purchased a stabliser to use with my Fuji XT-20.

I had an event at a retailer so used that as an opportunity to try it out, along with some footage I took of my own room yesterday.

Steep learning curve and improvements continue to be made with more experience.
I'm very familiar with the Adobe Creative Suite but none of the video packages. Lots to learn!

• Like 1
  • Administrators

Working on it :)

Only so much footage you can practice with of your dog, kids, house, cars!

Gets monotonous after a while.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...

It has been 20 years since I had a Video camera.I find todays still cameras  have quality video function and I use both stills and footage putting together youtube clips etc.Editing is a very steep learning curve but from 20 years ago I tend only to splice the clips without going down the Adobe Creative Suite track. I am using a compact camera (Panasonic TZ110) but seriously looking at the Sony FDR-X3000 4K Action Cam given its small size to pair with my camera for travel....

1384267703_sony-fdr-x3000r-action-cam-8-1-920x518.jpgFDR-X30004KActionCam.jpg.9181a02aea662bd2e48593f1b9366037.jpgSony-FDR-X3000-review.jpg.43c81cef034c051838417503419bec9c.jpg

Is anyone here experienced with shooting and editing video. Just this week I decided to give it a go, and purchased a stabliser to use with my Fuji XT-20. I had an event at a retailer so used that as an opportunity to try it out, along with some footage I took of my own room yesterday.  Steep learning curve and improvements continue to be made with more experience.

I'm very familiar with the Adobe Creative Suite but none of the video packages. Lots to learn!

What are the things that you are after?

After FX works very similar to Photoshop with folders and layers, just organised differently and works in the time domain.

You can organise clips in seperate taps, and organise these clips in layers into a folder/comp. Clips and comps work in the time domain based upon frame rate.

The basic things you want to master are image stabilisation, start/end, time/speed, frame rate, organising clips and effects, and workflow.

You import RAW video, break it up into manageable pieces, edit and apply effects, and export/render the comp into a video file of choice.

A PC with loads of RAM and processing power is ideal, especially when you can load the whole clip into RAM for quick playback.

When you have many clips that you would like to give the same look a bit of colour grading and noise will go a long way.

For capturing video, big camera movements will make your life more difficult. Inconsistent camera movements will look odd to the viewer when shooting in multiple clips. Try not to use zoom, but move yourself and try to avoid static images. (Some of that can be done in comp)

Always shoot a bit bigger than intended, as you loose some of you image when using stabilising, or artificial "zoom".

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Primare Knob said:

What are the things that you are after?

After FX works very similar to Photoshop with folders and layers, just organised differently and works in the time domain.

You can organise clips in seperate taps, and organise these clips in layers into a folder/comp. Clips and comps work in the time domain based upon frame rate.

The basic things you want to master are image stabilisation, start/end, time/speed, frame rate, organising clips and effects, and workflow.

You import RAW video, break it up into manageable pieces, edit and apply effects, and export/render the comp into a video file of choice.

A PC with loads of RAM and processing power is ideal, especially when you can load the whole clip into RAM for quick playback.

When you have many clips that you would like to give the same look a bit of colour grading and noise will go a long way.

For capturing video, big camera movements will make your life more difficult. Inconsistent camera movements will look odd to the viewer when shooting in multiple clips. Try not to use zoom, but move yourself and try to avoid static images. (Some of that can be done in comp)

Always shoot a bit bigger than intended, as you loose some of you image when using stabilising, or artificial "zoom".

Not done a lot of live video shooting but I have done a decent amount of editing stock footage, integrating 3d graphics and post processing effects. All of the above is great advice; Shoot higher res than neccesary, a little wider FOV than neccesary, buy a stabilizer, long slow movements and no static or short sharp movements during important shots...

After you get your capture the obvious place to look is youtube. Thankfully the adobe suite has a plethora of propents helping the average person make the most out of the software products in an amateur or semi-professional context.

After effects for pre composing, titles, effects, cropping and corrections, then import into Premiere pro for the final tweaks like colour grading. (In music terms if that helps, after effects for mixing tracks, Premiere pro for mastering the album)

• 1 month later...

Anyone got a copy of Adobe Premiere 7 Elements, or even earlier, they no longer want?

I have an older Pentium Windows XP laptop, which I love, but it needs an earlier 32 bit version of these programs.

I'll do a WTB post too, if no-one in this thread can assist?

• 8 months later...

Look at Blackmagic Davinci Resolve, it's easier to use than Premiere and there is a free version you can download