A new amp in the making...

Guest brunoaudio

Guest brunoaudio

Hi all 

i am making a new pair of monoblock ampllfiers using nos brimar 6v6g,s in pushpull for the power,in the phase and preamp i am using nos russian 6sn7s with gold grids and british ef37a. the design is based off the leak TL12.1 instead of using a gz34 for rectifer i am using a lower powered rusian version of the gz34 mainly because of the cost. the 6v6 is in the 6l6 6f6 family and because the 6f6 is a kt66 by running the cathode ristors a bit lower and a number of other changes i can use a 6v6. the output transformers are the 20 watt altronics line transformers that i have talked about here 

and for power transformers i am going to use the beacon R08 its about 300 volts a side it might be a bit more i might use a choke but they will need to be a decent size and i don't have a decent size pair.

thanks

Bruno 

Guest brunoaudio
1 hour ago, LogicprObe1553552783 said:

It will be interesting to see what the total cost is when you're finished.

the power and output transformers are being gifted by my papa the 6v6g x4 i got i a bulk lot of valves for quite cheap i traded a nos made in japan gz34 and a few other valves to my dads friend for a quad of russian lower powered gz34 valves and 3 blackburn mullard rebranded ef37a that are nos.my papa imports quite a few valves from russia including the gu50 valves with 12.6 volt heaters that are like a high power 6l6gc , the russian 6sn7 are decent sounding and cost about $7.00 nzd each. my istermated cost in parts is about 130.00 NZD max more like 200.00 including transformers.

Thank you for reading

Bruno

Edited by brunoaudio

• 2 weeks later...
Guest brunoaudio

Hi all

i am in the schamatic stage now. the website tunner audio http://www.turneraudio.com.au/leakampmods.htm has a decent schamatic for the tl12.1 my dads  very good  audio friend who is the tecnichin for two hifi stores in chch has been helping my and me and my  dad with the amp a few changes will be made to the schamatic to be able to use  the 6v6g in the output power stage and a few other changes. in the future i am planing to make a clone of the the macintosh c22 valve preamp using the 6n2p the rushin version of the 12ax7 with a diffrent pinout.

Thanks for reading 

Bruno

Edited by brunoaudio

• 1 month later...
Guest brunoaudio

Hi all 

Update:

The cabinets are being made now using rimu and vintage brass round head screws sheet metal on the top painted matt black and bottom with a air vent added. 

Will try to post some pics soon.

Thanks for reading 

Bruno

Guest brunoaudio
13 hours ago, LogicprObe1553552783 said:

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Thanks mate.

Im going to get the moddifed schamatic printed out at school in a3 then try to make antoher copy by hand with the changes for the 6v6 and other things. 

Thank you LogicprObe for the kind surport on my project.

It makes me very happy that someone is being kind to me and responding to this.

Bruno

• 3 weeks later...
Guest brunoaudio

Hi all 

I need a bit of help with the amp, so a few days ago i looked at my papas pair of tl12  [el84 ecc81 ef86] version and drawed out the backilight phonocic board in to my book but it is a slighty diffrent schamatic so i was wondring if anyone here would be able to take a picture of the underside of there tl12.1 [kt66 6sn7 ef36 gz32] to compere my papas amplifer. its a big ask but i am having a bit of trouble trying to find a pic of the underside of one. the next step is to asemble the chassie and make the main phonolic tag board.

Thanks for all the surport on the project, 

Bruno

• 4 weeks later...
Guest brunoaudio

Now thinking of putting the amp in to a 4u  inch rack mount case that i have its quite solidly made and might bulid in something like the Nelson Pass b1 buffer in to it. this project will be ready in about 3 mouths at most due to a big electronic comp i am doing called ASB BRIGHTSPARKS so sorry about that.

Thanks,

Bruno

Edited by brunoaudio