new 60' or 65' TV

Hi,

have done up my downstairs and want to set up a dedicated TV -HT space. Looking for any recommendations for TV's at that size range.I have a 5yo panasonic V series plasma up stairs. I enjoy the natural colour but I don't think they make plasma's anymore. I mainly watch sky Tv and netflix through the oppo.

A couple of questions.

1. should i future proof for 4K or will it go the way of 3d

2. The new nano-crystal on the samsungs. it is a gimmick or a genuine improvement.

3. Are LG Tv's now of similar quality to Samsung/Panasonic

Go for the largest you can especially if wall mounting.  I'd go 4k as pricing has significantly come down,  Can't comment on nano crystal but I'm personally not a fan of either Samsung or LG, Panny is my first choice but currently own a Sony which i'm pretty happy with.

Keep and eye out over Boxing Day sales.

You will be surprised what you can find Plasma wise. I brought a new in sealed box 65" ST60 panny about a month ago from Farmers. They might still have floor models(which is what attracted me there) that you might be able to bargain them down to a decent price. DSE had floor models eg 65" VT50 for just over $800. What im saying is that there is probably a very slim chance of finding one...but im sure if you look hard enough..you will probably find one. Im not convinced on the 4K buzz at the moment even though you can get"4K" via places like Netflix. I think 4K Blu-ray will be what makes 4K TVs really shine. I quite like the current OS that LG Uses on their TVs but picture wise they tend to fall short of the Pannys and Samsungs. I would probably go a good quality 1080P TV and in a year or two...spend the real dosh on a 65" 4K OLED TV.

if you can find a 65vt50 for $800, grab it !

the smart part is not so smart but picture quality is still excellent.

otherwise a new 4k or oled.

forget 1080p.

ps, 4k upscaling thru bdp is generally a waste of time too, your new tv is most likely to have a better scaler.

• 2 weeks later...

ex shop display models?? Hi Magness Benrow are offering some good prices on panasonic 800 series and samsung 9000 series TV's. What is the risk of buying of a shop display model.

also is there any benefit of a VA Vs IPS panel?? The shop asssitants keep harping on about panasonics having better quality panels, but are not convincing.

IPS is great if you're sitting off-axis, but ultimately, they don't have the contrast of the competitors.

Interestingly the top end Panasonic UHD's that were made in Japan didn't have IPS panels...

The issue you'll notice the most, is that you're going to end up with an LED after owning a plasma... If you can get an OLED, do.