TIDAL now on Oppo players

The TIDAL music streaming service is now available on Oppo BDP-10x bluray players. Just need to update your firmware to latest beta version (from the Australian site if you have an AU player as USA won't work) and use latest version of their MediaControl app on your mobile device. Sign up for free 30 day TIDAL trial and dive into 35 million tracks in lossless FLAC with the hi-fi version ($25.99 month).

I only set it up last night but was impressed with the sound quality and catalogue. Can also put TIDAL app on your mobile and download albums while on Wi-Fi then listen later offline when on the go.

Definitely worth a try if you have an unlimited broadband plan. A huge number of CD quality albums a phone tap away for around the cost of 1 CD a month. Available on other platforms as well, but I know there are a few Oppo owners here that might be interested.

Cheers, B.

The question is... how much longer will Tidal be in business?

http://www.strata-gee.com/more-than-7-out-of-10-music-industry-execs-say-tidal-wont-last-a-year/

If only they had content above CD quality with traceable lineage so we know we're not just getting CD quality audio that has been up-scaled / re-packaged in a high-res container...

The question is… how much longer will Tidal be in business?

I actually don't believe that's a question that needs to be considered for anyone interested in a service like Tidal, for three reasons:

Tidal is a service that is billed monthly. The worse case scenario is the you may be out the cost of one CD should their business collapse. That's a problem that's not even worth worrying about.

Why would any sane person take notice of the music industry's guesses about the future of businesses? These are the people who completely missed the changes in their industry concerning digital sales and now downloads - to the extent that their industry is now controlled by outsiders (Apple, Google with YouTube, and even Spotify).

There's a PR war going on around the various streaming music services. Articles such as the one referenced will feel very familiar to anyone with experience with the dark underside of the PR industry.

To anyone considering Tidal I suggest they go for it. There's a 30 day free trial for you to see if the sound quality and available music meets your criteria. Some people prefer accessing Tidal through the Roon music software service, as the standard Tidal user interface is not the best. (I am using Roon but have yet to try Tidal through it).

• 4 weeks later...

Well seems this topic has zero interest but I thought I should wrap things up. I've just cancelled my TIDAL subscription within the free trial period as I simply couldn't get reliable streaming quality. Started off great for the first week or so then became completely unusable with stuttering & buffering. I have a reliable VDSL connection with 32 mbps download speed. Easily stream 1080p video so can't explain the issue other than the TIDAL site itself is overloaded or simply rubbish.

A shame as I was keen to try it for a while. The interface through the Oppo media app was fine.

Interested to hear if anyone out there had more success?

Cheers, B.

hi B,

i noticed i gained a tidal logo in the last oppo update.

can't report on the efficacy of the service as i have less than zero interest in streaming music.

;)

Yeah, a quick Google brought up a lot of complaints over the last couple of weeks. Can't be bothered with streaming hassles, internet TV is bad enough. Music is supposed to be relaxing!

TIDAL can't afford to have server problems just when they've got their app onto a number of different platforms like Oppo. As Dunnersfella said, most industry players are picking them to go under anyway.

Cheers, B.