Sign in to follow this  
bugden

Best stereo amplifier under 2k

i have been toying with the idea of getting a stereo amplifier with a digital optical input for sometime now but am not sure where to look. Most stereo amps are not carrying any digital inputs which is a pain as 90% of my music is streamed via Apple TV. It would be great if it had a sub out as well a I don't want to run bookshelfs alone if possible. I am running wharfedale Jade 1 bookshelf and an audio pro modified sub.

The only Naim I have heard sounded very reserved. Is that typical of the brand?

Rotel make a couple of candidates

RA11 $1149

RA1570 $2249

Is there any reason you say that the RA1570 would be a starter over the RA11? Hadn't really thought of Yamaha but they would be a lot easier to audition than Rotel where I live

The only Naim I have heard sounded very reserved. Is that typical of the brand?

Reserved isn't a description you often hear describing Naim amps. Quad maybe, but Naim is normally associated with pace, rhythm and timing - the 'flat earth' holy grail. Some early Naim amps could be accused of being relentless, a bit bright and glassy, but not normally of being reserved.

Thanks for that. I will have to have an audition and see how it stacks up against my current amp. It might have been the speakers letting the naim down when I listened to it.

As Sugden says, Naim is certainly not reserved.

I went to a Naim Supernait after it pushed a Perreaux r200i out the door. The Naim is 80w, the Perreaux 200w. The Naim blew the Perreaux out of the room by sheer pace and drive. Great amps. And an awful lot better with a Hicap power supply.

If you can do without the DAC feature, try a Naim XS. Brilliant amp for the (secondhand) money.

Guest itwasonly$60luv

You could land this for under $2k

DIDN'T READ THE FIRST BIT ABOUT DIGITAL OPTICAL INPUT - OOPS!

http://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en/yaqin-tube-amp-audio-c-14/yaqin-mc-100b-kt88-tube-integrated-amplifier-power-amp-2-mode-p-150

I have done this for my amplifiers (direct to Meixing Ming Da), pre amp and CD - Cattylink - not without problems but resolved.

This end is quite easy and involves collecting from the air courier - I did not trust local couriers.

YAQIN%20MC-100B%20KT88%20Tube%20INTEGRAT