Homegrown - Gin Wigmore Album Review

For the record ( pardon the pun ) this is not a paid commercial review :)

Tis only my thoughts.

I've been a Gin Wigmore fan from the first time I heard her sing "Oh My"

Its hard to believe that such a huge talent is still able to fly under the radar so to speak, in her native country.

Her first two albums were very good but for me lacked a little cohesion between songs and flow of the albums. Thats not to say they were bad albums, far from it, it simply means that I wasn't captivated enough by the music to sit and listen to the whole album from start to finish.

Not so with her latest album " Blood to Bone"... due for release this August.

I'm pleased to say that for Spotify members the album is available online.

This album shows Gin at her finest, vocal control, lyrics and music all blends perfectly to produce one of the best new albums I've heard in the last 10 to 15 years.

Her vocal range on this album is magic, I didn't know her range extended so far as it does.

Some of the songs are quite dark in their lyrics which give rise to a suggestion that her path through life has not been a cake walk. There's an intensity and maturity to this set of songs that captivates right from the start.

I could go on but I suggest you jump on Spotify and shut yourself off from the world for 30 minutes or so and enjoy one of New Zealand's best female singer/songwriters of the 21st century.

Poppy, punchy beats & bad girl persona to match. Thks.

Amy Winehouse meets Lindi Ortega maybe.

I'm always with her music video & production budget. - more American than Kiwi now I guess.

Poppy, punchy beats & bad girl persona to match.

I would have said that or her earlier work but the latest offering seems  rather more mature , and while there are a couple of rocking tracks the rest are a more thoughtful offering, all in all a nice piece of work.

American production values were always on the cards given where she now resides. This appears to be reflected in her latest music vids, and I guess we shouldn't be surprised at that.