Aura Turntable Motor

G'Day All, from across the Ditch,

I have used one of Dave Whitaker's Aura Turntables for the past 10 years or so.  As with all things, however excellent, there comes a time when they need attention.

Now that Dave is no longer with us (alas), is there someone I can contact (preferably by email, with an eye to repairing the motor bearings.  It sounds to me as though they are starting to shake, rattle and (not) roll.  The unit is still spinning the platter at the correct speed, but the motor is intermittently quite noisy (can be heard a couple of metres away).

I have heard that Chris Marquet might be the man to contact about this but have no email contact point for him, if he is still able to do these motor repairs, that is.

Any assistance in this direction would be greatly appreciated.  I'm not giving up my Aura :) !

Regards,

Gary Jacobson

The Quad ESL (www.quadesl.org)

Hi Gary - I own an Aura & may be of some help.

The mtrs can vibrate. the mtrs have some end float & there are a few factors that can come into play - drive belt tension, pulley height, mtr bearing wear. On many later mtrs, Dave installed Linn-style end-float balls. The top bearing is a brass or bronze bushing.

Chris Marquet may be able to service the mtr if needed. His contact details were on this site, on a 'sticky' page (somewhere).

What does your Aura look like? ie. With intermediate flywheel, with mtr pulley-flywheel, etc?

There are some pics of Aura variations & details here:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/2012/01/aura-turntable/

http://darklanternforowen.wordpress.com/2013/12/26/aura-turntable/

Couldn't find that sticky either Owen. Calling MJ?

Gary's now got his phone number, so that may be the best way to discuss/contact him anyhow.

Thanks guys, and I have viewed the repairer thread.  That's where I found a phone number for Chris Marquet.  However, I don't know if it's polite to go cold calling people you don't know.  Does anyone have his email address?

Aura Motor pics attached.  Vintage March, 2006.  Probably one of the last Dave made, I suspect.

Gary,

Looks similar to mine re: date, intermediate flywheel, dual tt bands, chrome weights.

Cold calling Chris is the least of your worries. Chris is a unique individual :)

Oh, you could mention first that your Aura appears to have one of Chris Marquet's Mtr Controller ccts - this was a redesign which Dave commissioned from Chris late in the day. Not many Auras had this PCB.

PS. Chris is retired these days, but may be still undertaking sm jobs, esp if it involves one of his designs.

It is an OL Conqueror Arm, "defrocked" and between cartridges when that photo was taken this morning :)

The other arm is a Mission 774 in fact and it has a Denon DL-S1 cartridge in place.  This is a combination (low mass arm and very delicate low output MC) that produces a very deep and wide sound stage without the "robust" drive of the Denon 103 or 103R, for example.  I've been listening to a Zu Audio 103 in the Conqueror recently and that's not a bad match either.

I've come to the view in recent times that Denon's cartridges are much ignored and perhaps underrated for no good reason.

I run the Denon DL-S1 through a Bob's Devices SKY30 SUT into the MM stage of an ME25 preamp with Manley Snappers at the power end of things driving stacked Quads.

My old ME50 is being refurbished and (hush hush) a few other secret things being done to it at the moment. Still a very hard amplifier to beat with the old ESL if you are not of the "valve" persuasion.

Regards,

Gary Jacobson

Oh Yes indeed, and I prefer them stacked to add an extra 6dB at the bottom and 3dB (potentially) at the top.  A big line source speaker.  As for the so-called "missing octave" (20 ~ 40), that doesn't bother me for the music I listen to generally. Today you have to spend over$20K to find something that has more than a pair of stacked Quads.   Not an outlay I'm prepared to make.

• 1 month later...