Sign in to follow this  
Cooksferry

headphones and amp

Those W5000 are stunning looking beasts.

I bet they sound pretty darn good too.

Yes, they are a beautiful looking headphone Cliff . For some reason I just don't use them at all although they are a higher end product that the W1000 which I keep turning to most of the time with a Yamamoto amp. Nothing to do with searching for an audiophile sound, the W1000/Yam combo is  just the one that sits best with me most of the time. Of woodie AT phones I have heard I still like the ATH-W1000X best. That one I'm holding onto and since my son reckons he has dibs on the W1000 down the line, the mahogany cans are the loser.

I just have too many phones(10) and amps(5) so time for a clear out. I have 3 or 4 other headphones that could yet get the chop as well.

Trademe seems to be about as tough as it's ever been to get decent prices, although maybe it's just me.  I got $425 for my W1000 Sovereigns about a month back, and bidding was lethargic and timid.  The lowballer attitude has really taken hold, so don't be surprised if you get asked for a buy now at the start price at some point.  Have you considered trying to move them on head-fi?  (Not a site I frequent any more, but there may be a better appreciation of true worth over there).  Good luck

I quite expect to be asked for low ball prices on the ATs but I don't have to sell them so they could just end up back in their box. I think I'd rather get a bit less selling here than deal with possible problems(real or faked) going with an over seas sale.

$425 possibly isn't too bad for the W1000s. From memory I didn't pay much more than that from Audio Cubes(Japan) when they were first released. I know they were briefly flavour of the month on Headfi before a couple of negative comments prompted the usual mass turn around. One of the reasons I haven't logged in there since 2007.

Looking around a few months ago I thought prices for the W1000 have started to rise since they're now oop.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=759946766

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=759957333

Fair enough; I last logged in there about a year ago.  To contribute a post about turntables.  The catchment there has a few more square kms than Trademe, but I probably wouldn't have the stomach for international drama, either.    I won't miss the W1000s, but never had the pleasure of hearing the 5000s - will be keeping the ESW9s for good, though.

They are all beautifully made (and looking) phones, so you're bound to find someone who has to have them at some point.

Gidday Cooks

Am I right in thinking that the Meier doesn't support balanced phones? I've had a good look at your shots but I'm not totally sure.

Ta

The Meier doesn't do balanced. There's  low and high impedance  outputs on the front but from memory the left hand one(high) is meant for those strange 300 plus ohm headphones that some of the Germanic companies turn out from time to time.

I really like my cheap and cheerful portable AT's (ES7). They smooth out mp3s, add a bit of a bass boost, but still remain relatively clear. Which is ideal when connected to a phone whilst walking the dog.

GLWTS

The AT-EW9s have gone and for now I've decided to with draw the Meier amp and keep it in the man cave until I decide on the next stage of the journey.

This weekend I hope to be listing another set of headphones and amp.

Phones-ATH-AD2000. Top of the range open headphone from Audio Technica, my pair came from Audio Cubes Japan in 2007. They were my phone of choice for several years but fairly big changes to my hearing now mean that they just dont work for me any more as I need something with a bit of treble roll off like the LCD-2 or HD650. They are in excellent condition with just a few signs of wear on the ear pads which still have lots of life left in them. Comes with original packaging.

Amp- Mapletree HD100. My first real headphone amp, one of only 4 made by Dr Lloyd Peppard in Canada. Cosmetically very tidy except the Mapletree logos have faded. Comes with several NOS 50s/60s 5751 tubes along with more current production types(5751/12AX7) and plenty of NOS 12B4s. No poncey LEDs on this version to show on/off, comes instead with a nice magic eye tube that you can get to dance along with the music with the right phones and volume.

This amp had a visit to Clarry in Akld a few months back for a check over and comes with a clean bill of health and positive comments about the quality of components and build.

Anyone interested before they go on TM feel free to contact here. I haven't worked out my final reserves yet but I'm willing to listen to any offers.

W5000 and EW9 now gone- stars aligning for the next headphone purchase.