Everyman Records

Owen, I hope that you don't think I'm being too presumptuous but here is the original link:

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/topic/sad-news/ 

I too would have liked to have been at the sale, I bought many a fine record at Everyman, also a cd or two. The one that remains in my mind, however, is Jim White's No Such Place. I had never heard of Jim White at the time, but was in Nelson, staying with a close friend. He had a flat at that time on the side of Trafalgar Park, just a stroll away from Everyman. I found myself with a couple of hours to kill, went to the local record store, and got myself this album on a whim. I sat beneath that big marble edifice on the way back to the flat and read the blurb, unfolded and refolded the inserts, looked at his naive sketches for a good hour before returning to the flat. I don't recall why, but I never played that album until I returned home to Mangatū. Something about that whole process has made that album a favourite here (apart from being a magnificently crafted piece of americana).

Anyway I am sad to see such a long-serving, independent record store disappear. Doubly so because of the supposed increase in vinyl sales:

http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/permalink/2014/07/07/vinyl-sales-up-38-percent-2014 

Perhaps the vinyl revolution has not hit Nelson yet, perhaps you need to have an on-line presence to make vinyl retail work, perhaps the hippies are dying off.

Went in there today, plenty of people in the store and with 50% off lots were buying as well. Virtually all the new vinyl was gone but lots of browsers in the second hand sections. Don't think it's a case of the revolution not hitting here, more the fact of not many can afford to splash out $40 on a new record, way of the world unfortunately, there are more important things to spend your hard earned on.

Too much high rent floor space always struck me as a problem that business faced. As did morale/atmosphere. I've spent over an hour browsing that shop without acknowledgement from staff. I made a conscious decision not to buy that day but every other visit, I've always made multiple purchases. As far as pricing, I for one will always gladly pay a little more to support the local bricks & mortar as would many others I'm sure.

As for the sale, I'm currently listening to Jon Hassell/Brian Enos Fourth World Vol.1: Possible Musics - bought on my behalf at the sale and I happen to know another forum member is currently hunkered down with a mountainous pile of Boards Of Canada records he bought but possibly didn't need!

Had a conversation with Greg last time I was in the shop, he said that the pricing of physical copies was killing sales compared with downloadable content. Also a lot of people were asking him to order things in, music is a very personal thing and to hope the stock you have there on the shelves will satisfy everyone is a pretty forlorn hope and that's a lot of cash to have sitting there. I sympathise with him and wish he could have carried on but the fact is the demand wasn't/isn't there for a bricks and mortar shop anymore and no amount of sentiment will alter that.

Yes, That I was I who cleaned out all the new vinyl as I was first in the door with arms flailing. Actually wasn't as much there as I seem to remember from last time I was in there, although Greg was selling stuff at Grant Smithies vinyl fair the previous weekend so perhaps the good stuff went then.

Rumours are that there is more to the Everyman story than meets the eye, Greg and Cheryl are now in Melbourne apparently...

I'd be very surprised if a second hand vinyl shop doesn't pop up somewhere in the next 6 months or so...

Grant smithies is looking to run his vinyl fair at the yurt every 3 months or so. The last one was an absolute cracker, lots of good quality second hand vinyl from knowledgeable and friendly sellers, and a fine atmosphere and vibe...

… I’d be very surprised if a second hand vinyl shop doesn’t pop up somewhere in the next 6 months or so...

Indeed. Perhaps it's just my own emotional attachment to the idea of the 'record store' but I find it hard to believe you can find yourself 300k short on your ticket sales - something else people have the option of buying online for the most part - and then turn around and claim there's inadequate patronage for a 'bricks n mortar' ...but perhaps I'm missing something there?

• 4 weeks later...