Kiwi classic - the Audax T200

It's rare to see a pair of speakers chosen by AudioEnz contributor Simon Brown as a product of the decade appear for sale. But that's finally happened.

There's a pair of Audax T200 speakers on TradeMe right now. Built by Image Loudspeakers' Chris Ball (who used to produce speakers under the Audax name) the T200's are a large, two-way ported speaker. These are rare!

Audax T-200

My dad had a technics SU-7700 forever. It was his pride and joy amplifier. CAme with us as we moved around the world a couple of times. Cool wee amp. He had it paired with some Mission 720 speakers, which got destroyed and chucked over the decades of moving.

For his birthday a couple of years back I got his old amp, which I had in storage, rebuilt it, located the matching tuner, got his Pioneer PL512 going well with a new cart, but lacked speakers. Fortunately, Bill in lower hutt gave me a sweet deal on a pair of these. Was gobsmacked on testing. These are great old machines. I wanted to keep them. Now they sit either side of my parents fireplace and get used a lot. I am glad something made locally from the same era could replace the rare and awesome Mission 720's.

Shame these are in CHCH. I could really use them in the studio.

There is also a very small bookshelf version, I think. Pretty sure the ones I have in the bedrrom are Audax. They use the smaller version of the woofer in the T200, but have a different tweeter. Should really get some picks up in the archive somewhere. They are very cool speakers. Like the others, very big heart. They sound so much bigger than they are. Great imaging too.