Sign in to follow this  
Ariki Padlie

Nice Speakers on Trademe

My Dream JBLs and some Beautiful TADs.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/speakers-and-stands/floor-speakers/auction-739422964.htm

http://www.trademe.co.nz/electronics-photography/home-audio/speakers-and-stands/floor-speakers/auction-739420053.htm

Nice gear too but a "Coffee Table" to sit your components on after spending all that money? Room looks a mite too small for the Everests?

Difficult to see where he's going with that lot...

Wouldn't have thought the Halcro's a particularly good match for the JBL's, don't know how they would match with the TAD's but I'd suggest incisive ?

In which case is he keeping the Halcro's and looking for a smoother set of speakers (in which case why buy the JBL's ?) or is he moving to Valves ( In which case why sell the JBL"s) ???

Just pondering as I do....

Have no fear here people the person selling this gear VERY DEFINATELY knows what high end audio is about.Probably more than most here in NZ.And who is to say that the photos have anything to do with the current configuration of his system

Murray has certainly had some hifi traffic through his place in recent yrs. Like a lot of us.

Hopefully now has found his nirvana!

"VERY DEFINATELY knows what high end audio is about. Probably more than most here in NZ"

Perhaps not so much about the art of selling though, huh? 'Maud, be a dear and help me slide these mountainous speakers behind the sofa so I can photograph them for sale would ya?'...

;)

...Those photos were always going to have people scratching their heads, nonetheless - JBL Everests, WOW!

Did he sell off a DCS stack a few years ago? The seller was in the Hawkes Bay

Anywhere near the start price would be a bargain on the Everest's I would be in like Flynn if $$$ allowed. Spectacular speakers

Maybe the owner is building a dedicated listening room.

G'day - it's the owner here.  Feel free to ask any questions.

Yeah the room is not what I'd like but we are stuck with what we are stuck with.  No, no listening room scheduled despite trying to convince Muad.

Yep I'm an engineer not a marketing person, oh, and Muad say's "hi" to Hi-Fi Heathen btw :o)  Actually I don't see Trademe being another version of Urbis magazine, and I figure anyone who is likely to buy these from Trademe will know all about them anyway.  Maybe I'm wrong.  They look stunning in an Urbis situation.  Here's the pair in my holiday home ;o)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT_eWfJH7AMGMprjFHoA-j

"yeah, right!"

Yep, the dCS gear (which one were you thinking of?) went to a nice home in Hong Kong, Burmester to USA, Acapella Violins to Shanghai, Lansche went to Canada .......and so on......   Advertised the JBLs about a year ago but was just fishing at the time, then decided to hang on to them.

Some people like to collect cars, I enjoy trying different stereo gear.  Any questions about any of it?  It's been suggested I've "lost my way" - well that assumes I had one..... not really....depends on your goal.

Nirvana?  Well not in my near future I think, but the Halcros and EMM set up seems to go well with all the JBLs, TADs and "the speakers whose name must not be said" that I'm keeping.    I'm just going to a different strength and presentation; either JBL or TAD are better in different ways.  Definitely not tubes and I'm not at all sure the JBLs 2 x 15" woofers would work with tubes - unless you had a lot of them, though I'm sure the TADs would sound sweet.

Actually Halcros are not sharp or bright at all - just resolving - what goes in comes out very well which is more than can be said for most amplifiers.  Might just head back to B&Ws - I've had 2 pairs of 801's through here (different generations - I enjoy their presentation more than some, and I tend to revert to type over time).

None of this is about boasting, just saying from interest - sorry if you think otherwise, I can't do much about it.

Yes, the buy-now is not miles from the listing price - and yes it would be a bargain for anyone who wants either.  But I'm careful how I buy this kit and I've had my fun and it's time to move on (and even I think it'd be nice if our lounge stopped looking like a hifi show room for a while).  If they don't sell they can go into storage and await my listening room :o)

Btw - I've been using a Devialet d'Premier for a couple of years - it's a "nice" piece of kit - sort of don't plan to sell that as it's a handy back-up and doesn't take up much space.  But if anyone is interested in it or chatting about it, let me know. If you're keen and would like a listen here, it's possible.

Same goes for the rest of the kit if anyone here is interested in a trip to HB, not that I'm suggesting that it's worth it.

all the best

Murray (& Linda - not Muad)

http://www.stereophile.com/content/tad-compact-reference-cr1-loudspeaker

http://hometheaterreview.com/jbl-project-everest-dd66000-loudspeaker/

Thanks for the post Murray. Great to hear from the "horses mouth" so to speak. Those JBL's must sound wonderful if the K2S4800's I had are anything to go buy. I ran them with ASL Hurricane mono blocks & they sounded amazing. As you suggest lots of tubes (16 x KT88's) not so much with the lower powered 45 watt SET amp. Good luck with your sale & I will be in touch if a miracle happens any time soon ;-)

Gidday Murray,

Call in again when you're up. I will have a new TT set up & I'll sort some nice electronica to for ya next  time  :)

I seem to have slipped out of TG's orbit but have been chatting w Scott R down in the Bay.

Best.

Hi Murray and thanks for being a good sport, we armchair critics are only ever venting the frustrations borne of  our own rather agonising envy as I'm sure you well know! :)

You are of course quite right - anyone seriously in the market will know exactly what they're looking at without the full Urbis spread.  And lets face it, I'm probably so smitten with the Urbis spread only as its about as close as I shall come any time soon to such an astonishingly wantable pair of speakers...

Anyhoo, all the best and pass my warmest regards and cheesiest wink on to  dear 'Maud'.

Cheers.

You're welcome guys!  Wonder if that's the same Hurricanes I had a few years ago - they went to Waiheke I think.  Nice amps and doubled as room heaters :o) Yep will get in touch on my next pilgrimage Owen!

No worries but Maud still won't let me have a new listening room.....

M

No worries but Maud still won’t let me have a new listening room….. M
Oh dear...think perfumes, designer handbags, jewellery.....a new Kitchen as a very last resort  :D

<span style="color: rgb(102, 102, 102); font-family: 'Open Sans', Arial, sans-serif; font-size: 18px; line-height: 28.80000114440918px; background-color: rgb(251, 251, 251);">"Wonder if that’s the same Hurricanes I had a few years ago – they went to Waiheke I think."</span>

Yep them the ones I bought them from Waiheke haha its a small world in audio.

”Wonder if that’s the same Hurricanes I had a few years ago – they went to Waiheke I think.”

Yep them the ones I bought them from Waiheke haha its a small world in audio.

PS. 3 x edits to make a simple quote grrr

- Make sure you are on the text tab, not visual beeman when you are posting. The latter is broke and useable with quotes or any code...

- Make sure you are on the text tab, not visual beeman when you are posting. The latter is broke and useable with quotes or any code…

Quoted - in the visual tab - to show that it's not unusable.

Is for me MJ - every single time I use it it is garbled like beeman's post 4 above (606334)... And I've tried multiple attempts in 3 different browsers (Safari on iPad, Chrome & Opera in Windows). :)