Sign in to follow this  

This one was written back in Dec'09

Ok so back to reality. The lack of content recently is attributable to my sister’s big fat Greek wedding….actually it was very nice and “fat†isn’t a word I’d use to describe it, she looked good...

Enough! To Zombieland! The story of the world post its take over by the dreaded Zombies. The film starts with a bit of a news report type of thing that brings you up to date with the fact that the zombies are running riot and killing and subsequently converting any “clean†human to a zombie. It’s based in the US and falls into the horror/comedy category of films.

The story follows a young guy nicknamed “Columbus†(Jesse Eisenberg) in his attempt to find a “free zone†where humans live together free of the Zombies. He meets up with Tallahassee (Woody Harrelson) they end up running into two girls, Wichita and Little Rock (Emma Stone and Abigail Breslin). It’s a bit on and off for a while as nobody trusts one another, but they get it together in the end. Bill Murray is also present, as himself, which is actually rather funny.

I was expecting this film to be total, total trash. But in fact I found it highly enjoyable and not at all boring. The killing of the Zombies is done well, often/always funny and the sub plot between the characters keeps things “realâ€. I also like how the world is basically deserted, like a plague has come through and killed everyone off. So there are a lot of instances where they just walk into say a supermarket and its empty, except for the obligatory zombie or two – this bit is done very well indeed, hats off to direct Ruben Fleischer for this.

I’ve not seen Shaun of the Dead or similar films, but from what I’m told if you liked that you’ll get a real buzz out of Zombieland. It’s very original, funny and has some good action. Don’t expect too much and you’ll be nicely rewarded.

As a mate of mine (Des) described it, “its great shitâ€

3.5 Stars

I saw Zombieland recently. It's a zombie movie to see after you have already seen quite a few. When I watch these films I'm always cringing and saying "you idiot" the entire time. I liked the humour in this movie, especially the part where Woody finds a blokey style car full of oversized guns and says "God, I love rednecks!"

If you liked this you should see a few Romero zombie films.

Loved this movie. Turned my onto the Velvet Underground as well

This is a good way to tell the same old story about zombies, fresh interesting, some dull parts but overall pretty damn cool

Bill Murray cameo was hilarious

Good movie and Billo Murray was a crack up.

You gotta see Shawn of the Dead and Planet Terror - both are awesome splatter Zombie movies

just bought Planet Terror on BR so will watch soon. Shaun of the Dead was another really cool way of doing the Zombie thing, rate that movie as well

Yes indeed, I've watched this film several times. Great performances from Woody and that kid from Social Network. But it's worth seeing for Bill Murray alone. He is such a complete master of comedy. His timing and delivery is impeccable.

The opening title sequence is really terrific as well, as is the use of graphics throughout it.

Great, fun movie.

Guest VladimirFreddie

Yes Zombieland is a recent favourite here as well. +1 for Shaun of the Dead too !