Man, would I love to own this turntable!

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You'd make a good pusher. :)

But I'd have to sacrifice one of my other "children" if I did. And how the hell do you decide which child to give up?

"It looks mint, too." (quote button doesn't seem to work)

A few bits of paint missing here and there. Not sure if it has the delicate ceramic bearings either. Second arm board is missing the original paintwork set up markings, doesn't have the more sort after "TRIO" logo.

I'm  trying to add to this list to discourage me from buying it.

Oh that's easy; you weigh prospects. You see, my youngest is by far the smarter of the two - but also most likely to get hooked on crack and die in a high speed crash before he's 21... So out he goes. See. That easy.

;)

(thank your respective gods for Internet anonymity he says as he slinks from the room, head hung in shame)

Now that would make one hell of a great comparison test session.

SP10 (mk2?) vs L-07D. I wonder which Peter prefers?

And when it needs service or parts the tears will start.

Why is he selling it? He says its part of a collection.Who sells their collection and why? Youd be a brave man to buy this I would think. And as pointed out its not mint but he wants a mint price.

Electronic parts are readily available and upgradeable. There's a dedicated website for the TT that can supply a lot of parts.

As for the price, it doesn't seem too high considering previous sales (between about GBP1500 - 2500, albeit overseas).

Although because it weighs so much, it would be difficult getting an overseas buyer.

The weight probably explains all the paint nicks.

Why is "Trio" labelling more desirable ?

AFAIK Trio was only used for the UK market as another company was using the Kenwood name.

FWIW, Jon Marks, one-time editor of Hi Fi World magazine & a big DD fan...  replaced his 'heavily tweaked' SP10 MkII with an L-07D. (Back in the late 90s.)

However, I have heard of a number of L-07D mtr control units that have failed. Obsolete (30+yr old) discrete components, I imagine, would be a problem now. Most often, these end up being sent to 'Mr L-07D' in the USA for repair...successfully from what I hear.

BTW, the first pic is from The Vintage Knob, which shows I think the Kenwood TS-10 Turntable Sheet (ceramic platter mat), which I don't think is included.

Thank goodness...phew!  Temptation over :)

Anyone got a Pioneer Exclusive P3, or Sony PS-X9 lying around in the shed? jk

• 3 months later...

That's a big price tag :-o  From here, it looks in excell cond., complete with Outer Stabiliser ring, cover & inner clamp, second arm-board, complete/correct tonearm & a MC cartridge....but it is 30-40yrs old & I have heard of at least 2 mtr controllers which have died on L-07Ds.

OTOH there is a very good resource & support through the Unofficial Kenwood L-07D website in the USA. The owner of this site will even repair L-07D electronics for you.

* I have yet to see an L-07D with the accessory  TS-10 Turntable Sheet (white ceramic platter mat) - unless it's hidden under the cover on this one. Now that would be a fully-loaded L-07D :D

• 4 weeks later...