Sign in to follow this  
Luis1553552738

WANT WANT WANT

This gives an idea of the folded horn shoe-horned into this cabinet...

Have you ever heard them going Owen? I haven't but like the Tannoy DCs and these are the big daddies of the family. Very old school looks which I find strangely appealing.

Not the Westminsters, but I've spent quite a bit of time listening to GRFMs. At Dave Whittaker's & a couple of other pals, one recently. I'm not a big Tannoy fan, although I do admire the dual concentric hornloaded tweeter concept.

Hmmm... not sure if 'lazy' is too strong a word, but yes, IMVHO you've got a big heavy 15" cone going all the way up to 1000Hz, where the tweet takes over.  As said, the dual concentric horn tweeter is genius, but the GRFMs have never served up magic for me. The Westminster has some front horn-loading on the woofer, the GRFMs do not.

But then, as the late Ken N used to say, WTFDIK :)

Harvey Rosenberg raved about them, the Westminster 'Royal' corner version, that is.

I am not sure why you would want that so badly. A big wooden box usually sounds like one...

I am not sure why you would want that so badly. A big wooden box usually sounds like one…

But I could be buried in one of those too- dual purpose.

Actually I'd say that labour is the biggest cost component here, having (i) observed someone build several prs of Tannoy GRFM horns & (ii) having built a couple of prs of folded horns myself. You certainly think about NOT doing ever another one again  :)