Converting/playing FLAC files

I've downloaded some FLAC files and need some advice on the best software / ways to handle them.  I have a MAC at home and a PC at work but have no real playback options on my home system (which is TT and CD based); although I do have a little mini system connected to the MAC via Airport Express but this is rarely used.  So I need some advice on software that can convert the FLAC files to WAV files in order to:

1. Create CD's for playback on my main system

2. Transfer to a USB stick for playback in the car

3. Compress to lossy files for my iphone/ipod (i usually use 256k for this)

It looks like XLD or MAX are the way to go on MAC but would like to know if any of those more knowledgeable in this area could offer some advice or insight.

Thanks

Xld works great, think I may have paid for it...not sure as I tried every single one out there, I use decible as the player and find the combo fantastic! Work well together. If you would like, I have a copy of a couple of the "supposed" hifi software for mac, can't remember there names...But thought they were bit of a have...could drop box them for you. They are cracked full versions, one of them integrated with itunes and really annoyed me... Let me know

Hi Chris

Like Dunnersfella, I too use Fidelia for file conversion and file playback (itunes for ripping).

But just a point on converting for i-phone; assuming you are using itunes, itunes will convert higher bit rate songs to 256, 192 or 128 in Summary > Options.

(if you know this already, sorry for telling ya how to suck eggs!!)

But just a point on converting for i-phone; assuming you are using itunes, itunes will convert higher bit rate songs to 256, 192 or 128 in Summary > Options.

This, of course, also works with iPods and can be useful for putting lots of music on a device with decent - if not perfect - sound quality.

To add to this, today I purchased Amarra for my MacMini, and I'm happy with the performance increase over Fidellia.

There's a dynamic edge to the bottom end that wasn't there previously, and while I was running Fidellia in hog mode, the new Amarra setup is certainly a step up. I always saw Amarra as being over priced, but as Fidellia was crashing on me from time to time, I'm going to try another path for a while :-)

I last built up a desktop PC with emphasis it might become a media centre about 2 yrs ago and sprung for the best CD/BluRay slot access mech I could afford at the time which just happened to be made by Sony. The media centre thing fell by the wayside and it became a workhorse PC amongst with being installed was the free EAC (Exact Audio Copy). I like the fact a log is made of every music CD rip that refers to any problems on the CD or the CD mech. So here I converted many of my fave Classical, Jazz and Rock music CDs (which I have always treated well) to 16bit/44.1k FLAC.

The place these files are played though using Fedilia is out of an iTunes Library specifically only for them on my 2013 MacbookPro (512GB SSD and 16G RAM). I've made certain every album contains all that's needed for the iTunes database to work properly including album artwork and to make sure the material is the stuff I will always go to, so I don't fill the SSD with junk.

This way I've found Fedilia is brilliant (but it was a bit of hard work at the start setting up and no I never stumped for their EQ headphone stuff)...

Most of the time the MacBook headphone out feeds a desktop SO-VOIOE Speaker set for general listening but for serious appreciation it goes to my main HiFi setup.

seriously don't forget decibel, works flawlessly when using multiple outputs ie to a dac or to av receiver! Simple avoids using iTunes which only makes any process slow. Cod scraps the data perfectly too for decibel.

• 2 weeks later...