Sign in to follow this  
Steven1553552737

Acoustic wadding - where to buy?

Hi,

I am about to start my first ever speaker build (audio nirvana super 8 cast frame fyi).

My google skills have failed me - where can I get some of that white acoustic damping wadding stuff here in NZ?? It's needs to be online/mail order too as I'm remote(ish) South Island.

Thanks in advance (I can't believe it's so hard to find) I must be calling it by the wrong name or sumting...

Jaycar have it ( Jaycar have everything !!)

They call it Acrylic Speaker Damping Material. Code # AX3694. $15 for a 700 x 1000 sheet.

Graham.:)

cleaned and carded wool will be what you want.

Have a look in Spotlight. Cheaper than Jaycar with a range of different sizes and densities.

I use the wadding from Jaycar as its cheap and you get a lot for your dollar. One lot from them has done 5 speaker builds and I still have more left.

It's medium/heavy density and is ideal for acoustic treatments.

The other product I use extensively is the medium density duvet wadding. It comes in 1.8 meter wide rolls and is about $6.00 a meter, available from the likes of spotlight or similar fabric outlets. I use this product for wall lining the enclosures then add or remove extra wadding as necessary.

carded wool is simply combed, prior to spinning, then used in kmitting. local crafty types should be able to get you some. it works much better than polyester.

Dacron, Tetron, BAF wadding, Polyester wadding etc are all various trade names for the wadding typically found in mainstream speakers, and typically used in the furnishing industry..for upholstery and bedding.

Comes in various thickness and densities... Spotlight is definitely one place you would find upholstery grades.

If you want to use Polyester and have a fairly local hardware store.. get a bale of "greenstuff" acoustic and thermal insulation (non itchy alternative to batts) .. it is the same animal, and again select your grade.(and unfortunately you would need to buy the whole bale.. enough for quite a few builds!!)

If you wanted to try the wool route or at least a half way house, Spotlight used to sell a Wool/Polyester wadding blend, which was potentially interesting.

I've used "Greenstuff" R2.2 myself for a speaker refurb... with good results. (left over from a bit of home reno). From memory R1.8 is probably closest density to the material in a good speaker..

This article seems to make sense to me http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/speaker_design_pt3_getstuffed_e.html

All I know is that it was all the rage in the 70/80's for long wool fibre to fill the void (not sure what was popular to line the walls of the boxes).

My Gale 301's are wool filled.

But not carded, not very evenly distributed, and not even very clean but they do sound nice! :confused:

Just thought I'd follow up with a couple of pics of the result. I ended up getting the wadding from jaycar and stapled it in. I'm stoked with my first build - sound quality from the super 8's is awesome (for a computer based/nearfield listening setup).

Started out driving with a TA2021S solid state amp from Indeed Hifi Lab - very good however, I have just received a Miniwatt N3 (APPJ) tube amp in the mail and I am now a tube convert. This setup is awesome, I now have half an idea what all this "audiophile" stuff is about! :-) Beautiful sound, hard to stop listening and go to bed/work.

The TA2021S is good but it's now earmarked for the shed with another pair of soon to be built full range speakers.

Thanks for everyone's help.

Good work!

How about a nice close -up of the Miniwatt N3? :)

Very cute.Hard to get bad sound from EL84s(?).

So how do they sound? They look very nice. Mostly near field listening or do they get to fill the room with sound?

Impressive

Thanks Owen and Papa Hemi,

How do they sound? Fantastic! I'm not an expert in this audiophile malarkey :-) and at 44 yrs and working around aircraft engines and hangar work etc my ears may be past their prime but I'm loving the sound. I've had many systems over the years but this setup seems to do "it" for me. Not sure if it's the DIY factor on the speakers or the retro (cool) look of the tube amp or the techo/gadgety side of the imac ->DAC  input, maybe it's all of that but I really like this system (and fairly cheap to setup too).

The miniwatt has stock valves at the moment, actually bit of a story there - I chose a particular seller off ebay as he said he would fit a 12Ax7 in lieu of the stock 6N4. I know nothing about tube amps but a quick google suggested that the 12Ax7 might be better than the stock. Surprise, surprise, it turns up with all stock valves. However it sounds pretty damn good with them but  an email to the seller ("so sorry - my staff forgot to change...") and he promises to send out a 12Ax7.

Anyway, it sounds great and if it can only get better with different valves I'm happy. As for volume, yep enough for me, brilliant for nearfield, sitting at computer on youtube etc with speakers toed in, but also acceptable for room listening. I'm finding I'm happier with quality of sound now rather than loudness anyway. The audio nirvana super 8's are quite efficient at about 97dB/W(m).

I think this setup excels in acoustic guitar and vocals (which is fine by me), even a dodgy youtube audio like this sounds great....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AEwvA2XhsE8

Cheers

The Cutest Amp of the Year award ;)