Bluedogs back in his Kennel with great results :-)

Hi all been a while since I posted on here :-) I actually rented my place out for a while to help out after a divorce :-( so didn't much feel like commenting on HIFi as I wasn't listening to mine.

Well back in the house and when my gear was spread around my friends to look after I got to thinking that my room was my major problem :( .

I had my I93s at a mates place and wow they sounded great no bass problems at all why one has to ask.

I in the mean time managed to listen to a mates system with my Pre and Cd player wow it was magic too through a set of 15'' tannoys and a lovely Valve amp Border patrol very nice sound but lacking bass.

He was looking after my DD10 and I suggested to him that we hooked it in well the results were bloody stunning he and I loved the added depth and the fact that the room had been EQ ed .

So in between time I took my sub over to another mates place and did pretty much the same thing to his system.

A DD12 came up on tm so he bought it and tried it but physically it was to big in his room it was set to 2 out of 100 waste really. I suggested we do a swap so we did plus a set of speaker leads.

I put it in my system using the LFE out of the denon with great results but not for just music still had huge bass in my room. I got to thinking why don't I run the Pre into the sub and of to the amp and eq my room .

Well I was shocked at the results absolutely stoked its fixed my room lovely the bass is as tight as tight can be and the sub is only on 5 out of a 100 so plenty of headroom. I have set the presets to 5 10 15 and 20 volume wise for different things like movies is best on 15 but have the ability to really shake the room to bits on 20 but my room has too many creaks and rattles at that volume.

What I find amazing not only has the bass been fixed but also the top end sounds great proably due to the lack of bass filling the room.

I would be interested if anyone else has had a play like this :cool:

bluedog;190800 wrote:
I would be interested if anyone else has had a play like this :cool:

Absolutely. I rent and have moved three times in the last six years. The same components in different rooms sound different.

I have found the quickest and most reliable way to dial in a new room is frequency response measurements with a real time analyser and a mic. Getting 300hz and down smooth free of large peaks and dips is key. I don't want to be missing anything in that range and I don't want anything in that range to be too hot and overpowering.

If I don't measure then I am just guessing at what is hot or missing.

I'm the same. I've moved three times in three years and each room is a challenge. I don't have any measurement devices so my ears and experience are all I have to work with. As a result, it can take me months to get the positioning right and in my last place I was never satisfied with it, so moving was a blessing from that standpoint! I do enjoy setting up in a new room, though -there is always the possibility that it will turn out better than it has ever been!

luckiestmanalive;190804 wrote:
I don't have any measurement devices so my ears and experience are all I have to work with. As a result, it can take me months to get the positioning right and in my last place I was never satisfied with it

Exactly. And if I am in a new place for only a year... I don't want it take to six months to get right. And when you had things pretty good at the last place, even just a few weeks with things not being right at the new place is depressing.

He was the experience of moving into my second last place last year...

http://www.audioenz.co.nz/forums/showthread.php/14301-Measuring-and-fixing-your-room-s-frequency-response-my-journey?highlight=

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all I just finished a big job so got time to reply now. I think I was misunderstood lol I have used the Velodyne dd12 to correct the rooms bass issues this sub measures the room and corrects it. I would never have thought to do it having speakers that in them selves reach down as low as the sub but to say im happy with the results is am understatement.

My room was close to doubling the bass at the 35 to 40 hz range now after the sub worked its magic its close to a flat line as im going to get without spending a fortune on room treatments. The thing that impressed me the most is I have taken the .1 out of the home theatre and directed it to the mains plus the sub and wow best I have heard it sounding :-)

bluedog;191430 wrote:
I have used the Velodyne dd12 to correct the rooms bass issues this sub measures the room and corrects it. I would never have thought to do it having speakers that in them selves reach down as low as the sub

Does it measure with the speakers at the same time or does it just do the sub by itself?

It measures the room response of the mains then you bring up the sub to fill in the bottom. In actual fact the sub is not really needed but I have it on 5out of a 100 for music crossed at 55hz .For movie I have a preset at 10 action adventure 20 just for fun.

Yes you have some pretty impressive main speakers! I looked them up and saw they are rated down to 20hz.

A lot of smaller speakers and most 2-ways can greatly benefit from having 60 or 80hz diverted to subs and high pass filtered. All the 2-ways I own get much better midrange clarity from doing this. I then measure the room response to help make sure I am getting a seamless blend between the speakers and subs. I have got great results and have been very pleased with that method.

Hi again. As some of us were talking about moving a lot and having to re set up our systems in new rooms quite often and I posted a reference to my 2nd last place above. I thought I would give a bit of an update on my new place.

This was a FR measurement of my last place when I was very pleased with how the room sounded.

And now with the new place I am getting things sounding very good again even though the room was a real challenge! And interestingly look how similar the measured frequency response is to the last place...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55066546@N08/10969321584/sizes/h/

Everything sounds so much smoother and fuller and warmer and it doesn't matter what music I play as almost any type of music sounds amazingly impressive. One happy camper!

• 4 years later...

Hi all gezz been a while .

Few changes in the kennel lol . Replaced my Denon 4308 with an integra 70.6 great sounding piece of kit and the atmos is awesome. 

Changed my mit music hose for Kubala sosna expression speaker cables. They were a must have after trying a set that a mate had. 

And the latest change is trading my EAR 868 pre on the EAR Dac 4 and buying an oppo 203 to stream Roon yo it. The improvement is emence the dac4 is such a beautiful sounding piece of gear and I'm simply stunned. The oppo 105 I was using was a great player but very clinical and not suited to the Vafs Imho with the metal tweeters and mids. Such a sense of ease now with the dac 4.

20180628_131236.jpg

Guest Proshchay

Geez you've been working like a dog @bluedog ! But when you get upgraditis, you need to scratch that itch. You've certainly got some nice new kit in the kennel! The EAR dac and KS cables are uber nice. Those woof-ers will be working overtime now ?.

Thanks Bodhi yes sounding very sweet at the moment. Today i tried it again with the new usb cable i got sent up rather than my printer cable. Will give full impressions tonight but from what i heard today it was night and day between the cables. I was really hoping it wouldnt as now i will need to go down the computer path maybe instead of the easy Oppo 203.

Edited by bluedog

Guest Proshchay

Sorry, I couldn't resist @bluedog ?. You've done a really good job with your HT setup. Dolby Atmos must sound awesome! I'm certainly a believer that cables matter. Pursist Audio Design, Jorma, Acoustic Revive and I see KS all make really nice high end USB cables now. Apropos which, you described the slippery slope of cable upgrades very well ?. Looking forward to your impressions of the new cable!

Well I'm totally going to go down a music server path after what I heard last night. I have only got my laptop plugged in and everything shut down  except roon. I have aloud it to run with the lid down as well.

The sound has jumped up heaps from the printer cable to the point were its totally different. Now when I switch between the laptop and the oppo 203 the computer sounds cleaner yet again. The oppo to be fair goes from laptop to router vire wifi from there to the oppo vire ethernet then out vire either toslink or coaxial.  To me that's a long way around and it sounds like it. I am going to plug the computer into my network with ethernet today for a play but at this stage the USB is winning. The cable you ask ? Lol was recommended by audionut as a great cable for the money not a KS as they are out of my price range for now. This is a $65 Supra absolutely wonderful. But to be fair only compared with printer cable. 

This EAR Dac4 has done the same if not more than when I put the EAR 868 into my system.  But this beauty has 4 output valves plus a dac. If you like me only have one analog to put in this is a stunning preamp . I'm running the front out of my intergra into it. My only gripe is why wasn't the analog in balanced?  It has balanced out tho. It would have been better as my integra has balanced out as well. 

Oh on a side note atmos is awesome as I said I'm running 7.0.4 but only because my sub is used in my 2 channel rig mainly to eq the bass in the room. But it still comes into play with the ht muchly lol great subs the dd series imho.

• 1 month later...

Well after a couple of months with the dac4 in my system I have to say its probably the best single piece of audio gear I have ever bought. I took it to a good mates place and plugged it into his system (hes still got it lol wont give it back) in front of his 9watt boarder patrol amp and 15" tannoy golds. To say it made s huge difference in his as well would be an understatement. He was supposed to start selling some of his other kit but thought he would "check " it was still working fine. Well it also made his image revalations with the 250watt maclaren mono blocks sound sweeter than it ever has. Now hes in a quandary as what to sell to buy the dac4. We compared speaker leads, interconnects and everything we changed could be heard clearly. 

We even compared with his turntable which he loves needless to say hes not so much in love with it now as the dac4 beat it hands down for sound quality.  When you are comparing a tt with a dac as a rule the tt of that caliber will have an edge and sound slightly sweeter.  Well this was the opposite and the dac was just clean and liquid sounding. The top end is to die for it takes the sibilance away and leaves just the notes if you know what I mean . Actuality the bass and mids are just a good highly recommend if it's a dac pre you are looking for fabulous.