Ancient relics - cassettes

Ditto, have recordings off Concert/National Radio that are unavailable elsewhere.

Eg. Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Wellington Arts Festival 2000.

I was at the concert and unfortunately RNZ botched this recording, it was nothing like the live experience.

Still play back the occasional cassette ( got to keep the Nak exercised :) ) but haven't recorded anything in ages.

We don't have half decent, handy, end-user music-recording devices any more.

What about those portable digital recorders that were all the rage a few years ago ?

Tascam, Sony, Zoom ?

Yes.

A friend had a Zoom H2 (i think that was the model number) with built in stereo mics, 96/24 DACkery and analogue output through a stereo mini-jack.

It could record stereo or surround.

Didn't sound very good though, think he dumped it after a while and went back to a portable Tascam tape deck.

Still listen to some old (1970's) recordings of school concerts, American Top 40 on 2ZM, and other rare but valuable historic (to my family) stuff.

Using a Technics RS BX707 deck that does a great job.

At the hight of the "Cassette Age" the house was full of Akai decks, one was very good and we taped the occasional party too. Used a Panasonic portable for taking out and about to record just about anything.

Gee have times changed or what, and wouldn't even consider transferring the contents to digital.

Long live whats left!

I still play the odd cassette in the car(s). At least they dont skip every time the rear suspension tracks over a decent bump as the cd changer in the boot of the MX5 is prone to doing. Choice is now down to LZ 1 & 111, R Thompson Shoot Out The Lights, John Mayalls Bluesbreakers(beano), Cream Disraeli Gears and that's pretty much it. The rest of my small stash have slowly been chewed up over the years.

Michael Wong;190684 wrote:
Ditto, have recordings off Concert/National Radio that are unavailable elsewhere.

Eg. Wynton Marsalis and the Lincoln Center Jazz Orchestra, Wellington Arts Festival 2000.

I was at the concert and unfortunately RNZ botched this recording, it was nothing like the live experience.

The Ray Brown Trio with James Morrison at the Plaza International during the Wellington Intl Arts Festival sometime in the 1990s. Preserved on cassette in glorious stereo from the radio. Irreplaceable.

Well, you knew that topic would get me to crawl out from under my stone!!

Cassettes are still very much alive and well in this household, and still do a lot of recording too, mainly on Nakamichi's, or Aiwa's , off both CD and Vinyl.. why??.. because I can ;)

I still enjoy cassettes as a medium for that usually not quite so serious listen ( 'that' is the domain of Vinyl :D ).. when I have one eye on what I'm doing, and one ear on what I'm listening to.. a bit like when I am listening to CD.

My Nak RX202's and 505 are still great party pieces :P and can still surprise many people.. yes, that IS a cassette playing!

On the topic of live analogue recording... still have a Nakamichi 350 :).. though I would need get it going and buy some decent Mic's.

Michael Wong;190745 wrote:
And have you got a big stash of new blank cassettes ?

;)

Enough to last me until I go deaf or dead, which ever comes first ;)

Michael Wong;190745 wrote:
Hours of fun watching an RX202/505 do it's auto-reverse dance.

:D

:D.. and a good set of fast acting wide range meters still has that moth like attraction ;)

Yes, still have a stash of cassettes of which several get regular play (on Pioneer CT95) and still buy the odd one from the Op Shops if it is something special. Have about 10 blank tapes (still in wrappers) but haven't recorded anything for a long time. Wish my car stereo had a cassette player!

Michael Wong;190995 wrote:
Cleaned up my old Sony Walkman WM-D6Cs... put in an old Sony Metal compilation tape and...

music !

:)

I still use my old sony sports Walkman (the lunchbox) a good few times a week , in fact I just retired the old painful Panasonic buds & got some Marley ones , I'm impressed , they have come a looooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnng way in 20 odd years :)