HDMI laptop -> tv not working

I've been using my laptop to play movies to my TV for a few years using the vga port and runing the sound directly to my usb dac. However I recently switched to an analog audio cable from the TV straight to my preamp and so I figured I'd use the hdmi output on my laptop into the tv instead of the vga and usb.

The first time I tried this I got my laptop to recognise the TV but no picture/sound from the tv until I switched from the hdmi channel to an av channel and then back on. Tried it for a second time tonight and no joy whatsoever.

The laptop recognises the TV and sets it as the second display but again no picture or sound from the TV no matter what I do. I figure this should be plug and play but it's got me beat. Is there something simple that I'm missing?

TV is an older Panasonic LCD. Laptop is a reasonably new toshiba.

Yep. Tried that but no joy. The computer sees the TV as a second monitor right down to the audio switching off (and presumably onto the TV) when I shift my player into the extended display but no sign of anything on the TV. I tried the other two hdmi inputs on the TV and it was just the same.

I think it's the TV. I might grab an SD card tomorrow and try a firmware update.

Yeah, PC outputs and TV inputs are still not the best.

Try,

Make the TV the dominant display

Can also be a resolution problem, PC's try to send 60hz typically but then software will hijack for their own needs. Anyway try setting to a lower hz rate at 4:2:2 bit depth max.

Your previous setup could stilll be causing the problem, make sure other settings like the usb sound aren't causing a conflict.

edit, the RGB output for 2 displays could still be getting in the way.