Fm / Am Tuner.

I will decide!

Coax/optical digital outputs ?

Plenty of DAB tuners are so equipped but I don't recall any FM/AM tuner having coax/optical digital outputs.

???

fisher X 100 A;188003 wrote:
But no, just went with rca out on the tuner and get a rca to coax lead made up......Unless I am wrong again?:confused:

The tuner output is analog; the digital input needs a digital signal. Your proposed scheme will not work.

There should be plenty of analog inputs on your amplifier for you to plug the tuner into.

You had us all confuzzed...

What tuner did you end up with ?

Traditional AM/FM tuners receive an analogue signal so there is no DAC involved.

But newfangled DAB radio is digital so DAB tuners have DACs inside - and usually have digital outputs.

Interesting Perreaux add-on.

However, I remain wary of stuffing so much under the hood of an integrated amplifier.

I think my current set up confused myself, coupled with the fact being blinded by analogue is radio! Play cd's via my h/t set up and stream radio via computer, which is plugged into the dac.....

I ended up with a Rotel RT 1080 in silver, which does have DAB, but it seems to be not in my area of South Taranaki, only Jaffa land and Windy Wellies may have it?

Nearly there !

The RT-1080 is a fine tuner but it only receives conventional analogue radio, there is no DAB capability.

DAB (Digital Audio Broadcasting) is still in the trial stages in NZ.

Kordia started testing in Auckland and Wellington in 2006.

Frankly, let them take their time as overseas experience has shown it sounds worse than good FM and it's only reason for being seems to be to enable broadcasters to squeeze more stations into a limited space.

The Rotel does however have RDS (Radio Data System), there's a prominent logo on the front panel. This is a system that allows analogue FM signals to carry information like traffic updates and station identifiers. Tune into National Radio or Concert and you'll see the station name show up on the Rotel's display. Some commercial stations may show the name of the song as it is playing.